What's new

Alibre Design Expert to Alibre Atom 3D

wsimonton

Are there any issues with importing Parts and Assemblies created in Alibre Expert to Alibre Atom 3D?

For instance, how does Atom 3D handle completed Sheet Metal parts or completed Parts which are produced with functions that Atom 3D does not have.

The reason I ask is that I plan to provide a copy of my Climax geared steam locomotive (9,500 parts so far) to a 501(c)3 Climax historical association in Corry, PA where the Climax was originally built in 1919 as the National Park Service Historical American Engineering Record (HAER) only takes 2D drawing (pdf or AutoCad) - no electronic files - which I am going to provide HAER in pdf.

I want the drawings and parts to survive and as the 501(c)3 is now in the process of acquiring and restoring the only complete Class A Climax in the world the cost of Alibre Expert is not a cost I wish to pass on with the 3D CADD model.

I only thing that immediately comes to mind is to export (if I can) the complete locomotive in stp format but all the constraints would lost with 9500 unrestrained parts that would not be ideal. I also do not know if Alibre would choke on such a large endeavor or create significant errors in trying if it does succeed.

Thoughts?

wsimonton

Parts patterns. For instance the Right Cylinder on Climax CN 1551 (now at Cass, WV) was damaged in a wreck over 60 years ago (has not been under steam in over 60 years but will be soon) and a steel band was installed to reinforce the cylinder. Should it need replacement the F8 pattern which is a part of the package could be used to create a new casting. Only partial specifications for that cylinder exist - other than my very careful 3D model.

In addition 1551 will may need new Steam Chests and a new Piano (steam turret) which are included in the package.

Attachments

• F60 Turret.AD_PRT
    2 MB · Views: 12

Max

Administrator
Staff member
If a part contains a feature that is not supported in Alibre Atom3D, you will still be able to open the item in Alibre Atom3D but will not be able to edit it. You should also be notified about which features are causing the file to be read-only.