What's new

Alibre drawing Window FROZEN with big red X on top

JerryB

I have a drawing window with a big red X on top frozez-up which I cannot kill or do anything with.
What does this mean? How can I proceed?

1713821679848.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
What does this mean? How can I proceed?
You need to report that to support. Technically, from a programming POV, the red cross is the default low level windows drawing render when an error (exception or access violation caused by a bad/null pointer) occurs in the application windows drawing (WM_PAINT or WM_ERASEBKGND message handler!) code for that windows UI control ... basically, it's a UI bug!

JerryB

I had to reboot to recover and the drqwing file wasn't saved so I have no data for them to analyze. But I'll try to create the drawing file again, and will capture data for support if it occurs again.
Thanks for the information.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
In the case above - you MIGHT have been able to recover by activating the Menu Bar or by using keyboard shortcuts to allow saving of the file.

We had a spate of these red cross issues quite a while back, which were resolved. It's possible there is some new issue with the UI toolkit used for the ribbon. As Simon mentioned, please report the issue to Support - it's possible that either the Alibre log files or Windows Event Viewer may hold clues to what happened.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Briefly touch Alt key, or switch to Home Window (then Utilities Tab, System Options -> Display -> General , then un-check 'Hide Menu'.

Of course if the UI is completely disconnected (rather than just the Ribbon) this may not help at all.

JerryB

Ah, thanks. Yes, I tried that and the frozen window was covering all other Alibre windows. Even when I used Windows (WinKey+Tab) to select the Alibre home window, the frozen window would pop back up over it.

Cator

Jerry,
it happens to me sometimes when I shut down the system without having saved any work. The system doesn't turn off but if I reopen Alibre the red cross appears. Especially if you have a notebook please pay attention to this behavior (with the energy saving and easy to see it stop, hibernate or go to sleep after a few minutes) is not the solution but we could understand the cause of the problem

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Do make sure that the recovery options are set to some sensible time period, and try to get into the habit of saving your work if leaving the computer.

JerryB

I had created the drawing and was just trying to do the first save (which I do often). That is when it froze-up. Support has requested logs, which I'll get to them soon.
Thanks eveyone.