What's new

Alibre/Geomagic News

fitzbond

There was a time when Alibre supplied monthly news letters and kept you up to date on things and would even give you a peek into the future or at least say hello thank you for being our customers. Where has the love gone :?: :?: :?:

kev h

Lets see if the love has been focused on the next release ,whenever it is ... Who knows , might possibly be worth it .... ??

Cheers Kev 8)

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
This thread (and a few others here) conjures up an image of tumbleweeds drifting through a ghost town...

I spoke with a sales rep at Alibre today. He assured me that an update is coming in the near future. I ask why Ryan and Mac have not been on the forum. He indicated that because they are no longer a privately owned company they can no longer provide update info on the forum. Mac and Ryan are still with the company.

Dave

dwc

Alibre Super User
Dave Sohlstrom said:
because they are no longer a privately owned company they can no longer provide update info on the forum.

That is what is known as a bad excuse. Of course they can.
That's unfortunately happens when real bean counters take over.
Any excuse is good enough.
D

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Dave Sohlstrom said:
I spoke with a sales rep at Alibre today. He assured me that an update is coming in the near future. I ask why Ryan and Mac have not been on the forum. He indicated that because they are no longer a privately owned company they can no longer provide update info on the forum.

This I miss the most... :cry:

dwc said:
That's unfortunately happens when real bean counters take over.

+1000 :(

fitzbond

So I keep hearing that this is a public company and that they cannot talk about any possible improvements or updates in the future or even offer any news period on Alibre/Geomagic (the monthly news letters were nice) and yet in about two months I will be getting calls and emails from this same company that cannot speak about the software to suddenly acquire a voice to ask me for more money based on something they can't talk about. Maybe its just me but something about that is just wrong.

Giecon.nl

We use to get hints about what they were working on from Max and the others. Things that reassured me they were heading in the right direction and at least some useful features were added. This is important to existing users especially when it is that time a year when you are wondering to pay next years subscription or not. If that line of communication dries op completely I know my answer.

Alexander

fitzbond said:
So I keep hearing that this is a public company and that they cannot talk about any possible improvements or updates in the future or even offer any news period on Alibre/Geomagic (the monthly news letters were nice) and yet in about two months I will be getting calls and emails from this same company that cannot speak about the software to suddenly acquire a voice to ask me for more money based on something they can't talk about. Maybe its just me but something about that is just wrong.

+1

kev h

Has certainly lost a little of the spark on here but i suppose the proof will be in the pudding when the next release pops up !! ( hope its not too long !! )

Max if youre out there , any chance of a quick pre release nugget video ?!?! I'm sure you could post it anonymously on YouTube !! :twisted:

Cheers Kev 8)

Joe Gwinn

Dave Sohlstrom said:
I spoke with a sales rep at Alibre today. He assured me that an update is coming in the near future. I ask why Ryan and Mac have not been on the forum. He indicated that because they are no longer a privately owned company they can no longer provide update info on the forum.

It's complete nonsense. Companies are allowed to make announcements, and a newsgroup is one way of many. While companies are always careful to not promise something until they have already done it, because so much can change, one still gets treated to "roadmaps" of future chip development plans from such closely-held companies as Intel and IBM. How much credence one should put into these roadmaps is a matter of opinion, but there is nothing preventing a company from publishing roadmaps and the like.

fitzbond

Joe Gwinn said:
Dave Sohlstrom said:

It's complete nonsense. Companies are allowed to make announcements, and a newsgroup is one way of many. While companies are always careful to not promise something until they have already done it, because so much can change, one still gets treated to "roadmaps" of future chip development plans from such closely-held companies as Intel and IBM. How much credence one should put into these roadmaps is a matter of opinion, but there is nothing preventing a company from publishing roadmaps and the like.

It has not stopped other public CAD software companies with their users supplying information about current and possible improvements in the future or just talking to them period. Go and check out the other forums and the webpages it is night and day compared to our ghost town.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I don't think they should be giving out dates (that can be wrong) like in the past but I do think they should be telling us about development and bug fix progress. Especially bug fix progress.

Alexander

fitzbond said:
Go and check out the other forums and the webpages it is night and day compared to our ghost town.

Have been a regular visitor to this forum for 7 years now and must admit it does appear to be getting quieter, from both the users and the developers. :?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Joe Gwinn said:
...Companies are allowed to make announcements, and a newsgroup is one way of many...

Perhaps we'll hear about it Will.I.Am's next song... :roll:

I gave 3DS the benefit of the doubt in the beginning but what I have seen since the take over - and especially since the merge with Geomagic - has not left the best impression. The product is still good and I still like using it but lack of communication like we're seeing here is a sure killer.

The user community is, in my opinion, the only thing holding it all together at the moment...

:(

tmostad

Well the user community shrunk when I switched to SolidWorks. They were running a year end sale with 25% off. It is a bit different than Alibre (sic) and a lot better in many ways. Mainly they have a HUGE user community and hundreds or maybe thousands of YouTube video tutorials, all free of course.

Any notion that public companies "can't" talk about future developments is pure nonsense. They are called "forward looking statements" and actually the SEC encourages them to give shareholders insight to judge potential future company performance. Now normally you wouldn't make them on an Internet forum but there is no rule that requires complete secrecy.

In case you were wondering why I am here, I still use Alibre for legacy projects and actually still like the product but I can tell you I won't be using it for anything more in the future. Best of luck to all of the loyal diehards. 3DS doesn't deserve you IMO.

fitzbond

tmostad said:
Well the user community shrunk when I switched to SolidWorks. They were running a year end sale with 25% off. It is a bit different than Alibre (sic) and a lot better in many ways. Mainly they have a HUGE user community and hundreds or maybe thousands of YouTube video tutorials, all free of course.

Any notion that public companies "can't" talk about future developments is pure nonsense. They are called "forward looking statements" and actually the SEC encourages them to give shareholders insight to judge potential future company performance. Now normally you wouldn't make them on an Internet forum but there is no rule that requires complete secrecy.

In case you were wondering why I am here, I still use Alibre for legacy projects and actually still like the product but I can tell you I won't be using it for anything more in the future. Best of luck to all of the loyal diehards. 3DS doesn't deserve you IMO.

That is one of the forums I was referring to where there is communication with the users about "possible" enhancements and improvements, bug fixes etc. I know Solidworks has a head start but the reason they remain in front is not they offer the best software or even the best price but its about the folks, if the folks know that you are listening and are responding to them and that doesn't mean they always do what the users want but at least there is a dialogue. Is is very simple turn your back on the folks and they will leave.