What's new

Alibre in Windows 8

Elrick

I started working with Windows 8 recently. Just need to know why Alibre keeps crashing? Is Alibre unstable or is it Windows 8? Cos it worked fine with Windows 7...
Another very irritating thing is that everytime I open my drawings I have to remake my custom toolbar? Whats going on?

Can someone please explain this, is there something I can do? Will it be better to go back to Windows 7?

When I installed Alibre I had trouble with the .NET framework. I had to go into DOS to set it up since the online option didnt work. Working in DOS is ancient style! lol

We assembled a 5grand PC but im not getting near to whats expected for this price...

Any advice?
Thanks

jimbees

Do you have the latest update of AD? 64 bit AD is not compatable with .net 4.5 except in the latest versions of AD. Windows 8 is .net 4.5

Jim

Elrick

jimbees said:
Do you have the latest update of AD? 64 bit AD is not compatable with .net 4.5 except in the latest versions of AD. Windows 8 is .net 4.5

Jim

I think so Jim. I went to the downloads page of Alibre's website ( https://www.alibre.com/downloads/downloads.aspx ). Downloaded it on 2013/02/05. The file's name is "AlibreInstall_V2012_14056_x64"?

I reset W8. Quite nice to have a reset option rather than clean install. Will see if it gets better thanks.

Elrick

I personally dont/didnt get too much crashes in Alibre with W7. I know drawings get corrupted sometimes. I often get that unexpected crash message but im still able to save my drawing and continue or restart Alibre. It usually happens when I try to trim splines. For some reason I have to delete some nodes in spline before I could trim it? Another thing I read somewhere is when you delete a plane in the design explorer on which other sketches and features rely, some geometry gets lost in space, or something, and corrupts the whole drawing and you have to start over.

Send my PC back to the shop yesterday. Hopefully I will know by monday whether it is the harware, Alibre or W8. Browsing through many threads on google I notice theres a lot of trouble with W8 wireless networking software too. Which in the first place forced me to use DOS to install .NET framework for W8. Dont understand why it cant be done with primary installation of windows?

Im a bit dissapointed with the rendering of Alibre on this machine. Cos I hear the Geforce 4000 was designed to focus its cores on rendering and it appears I get less than 5-FPS...? lol but enough complaining. Gets you nowhere anyway :) Maybe Alibre and nVidia havent met each other yet..?

Elrick

Got the pc back. The crashing is gone atleast. Clean install of windows helped. :D

One thing, I still have to set up my custom toolbar everytime I enter a new sketch?

If it were up to me I would've stuck with Windows 7 for another year untill all the small troubles are dealt with.

Elrick

Runtime Error! R6025 - pure virtual function call

Sometimes when I make changes to my drawings it outomatically changes the facet settings. Usually, in windows 7, I just changed the Curve Smoothness to Coarse and back to Fine to reset the rendering. In Wondows 8 it crashes when I do this which means I have to save my work after every change. Not a bad thing. But when it crashes I have to exit and wait another 7-minutes for my drawings to reload :roll:

In my opinion, so far the one thing which benefits Alibre the most is the Solid State hard drives and about 35% better performance with the quadro 4000. Still wouldnt recommend Windows 8!!

Attachments

• Alibre Memory usage.jpg
    Alibre Memory usage.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 33
  • C++ Framework crash.png
    C++ Framework crash.png
    485.2 KB · Views: 51

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Registry cleaning - stuff happens. Incomplete install, de-installs, updates, etc.
A lot of gunk can build up and slow down the computer or cause errors.

CCleaner has done a fine job for me for years.
It offers to backup the registry before modification.
Download at http://www.piriform.com/

Norton 360 has an option to clean the registry.

Different programs will detect different problems.
The first time you clean the registry you may need to reboot and run until no errors are reported.

Until you are familiar with the programs do a full HD backup first.

Generally, Microsoft would rather not take responsibility.

Elrick

Thanks for the info. Doesnt make sense to win a lot of speed with good hardware but loze everything through malucious software!?

Maybe I will give that software a try. Whats the worst that could happen? haha Im just very skeptical with registry tools. Dont know enough about the registry..

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Yes - a long time, with updates.

With any freeware, be careful of extra install options that try to slip in optional software that usually want to replace your default search engine and the like.

I don't recall Ccleaner doing this but read closely to opt out of other changes.
They will present the "option" during installation - just say no, or yes if they get clever with the wording.

It has never caused me a problem.

Elrick

Thanks. Gave it a try. Unfortunately it didnt fix the runtime error. Not sure what the C++ Framework is and what it does. Think its got something to do with visuals and rendering. Previously it was the .NET Framework causing crashes.

Ccleaner seems like a nice trustworthy program though. Picked up a lot of junk in the registry. Sometimes when a game give me unusual trouble, for instance when I reinstall or patch it, I go into the registry and delete everything related to the game and it starts working again. So I know the registry definitely causes trouble for programs.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Well, since you brought it up (the C++ Framework).
The "redistributables" are software (standard subroutine) libraries for software developers.

An install of MS Visual Studio Express 2012 came to a grinding halt after much whizzing and whirring.
Only then did I learn that it doesn't run on Vista. Idiot I (but others too) thought Vista and a beefy computer were a shoe-in and the installer would detect a major compatibility problem.
Of course uninstall failed totally.

I have a backup HD - so I uninstalled most of the list of SQL, redistributables, .Nets and my major software.
Although uninstalling leaves footprints in the "program files", system files and registry I am a fair (and lucky) hand at trimming those conservatively.
I ran the registry cleaners for gobs of cleanup as a result.

It cleaned up a chronic problem nowhere explained with my "Windows Live" applications.

The major applications like Alibre and 2010 Express installs then reinstalled the frameworks they needed.
Windows updates filled in.

I was so satisfied I left the little bit of 2012 trash for another day and the system runs solid.
I don't suggest it, but if you have a lot of time, backup; and curiosity it's a learning experience.
On Vista this is what the final list of MS related came to:

Attachments

• HIGH RISK LIVING.jpg
    HIGH RISK LIVING.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 47

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Elrick,

Important:
Please change your Nvidia settings back to -> Application-controlled

Attachments

• Nvidia-Settings.png
    Nvidia-Settings.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 91

Elrick

Thanks RCH, I do back-up my drawings on a regular base but not the software though. When I know I might cause instability in the system I create a system restore point. Safed me a couple of times before :)

I played around with your suggestion Ralf, thanks. It didnt solve the problem. Dont think the trouble is caused by the GPU drivers/settings. It might be assosiated with directX rather? From my experience I know when one DLL is missing in the directX codes, which a program requires, it wont start or crash.

I will google this crash further. Maybe theres a simple sollution out there :)