What's new

Alibre is crashing!

rmcard

I am having a problem this morning where Alibre is crashing when trying to start the editor. The program starts fine but whether I attempt to start either My current main assembly or bring up a new part window it hangs at "updating display volume" and gives me "a problem has caused the program to stop working correctly" and I have to click to close it down.

Now I've had a couple of other problems show up this morning computer related so I'm thinking it may be Windows Update related so I'm considering to restart the system to an few days earlier version. I'm curious if anyone else is having similar problems.

I'm running Windows 10 and it did just go through the major update that Microsoft rolled out a few days ago. It did seem to run ok for at least a couple of days.

Could be just my computer is crapping out.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
So everything worked. Then after a Wndows update things go wrong.

:rolleyes:

I blame Windows. (10 that is. 7 is good)

rmcard

I looked back at my update history and it appears the last update was on the 13th, and I know I was able to bring up my assembly yesterday which was the 14th. So not exactly sure, but could be. I had a couple other hiccups starting windows this morning unrelated to Alibre so Windows is suspect. Or maybe it's a hardware or virus problem???

JST

Alibre Super User
So everything worked. Then after a Wndows update things go wrong.

:rolleyes:

I blame Windows. (10 that is. 7 is good)

I have had that sort of thing happen with 7. Mostly on the prior releases, I do not recall if it has happened with 2017.1.2 (build 18701)

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Yeah they had a very decent product in 7/8/8.1 then they went and ruined it by forcing updates. All very well if you only use MS software (which was the point) but for the rest of us its not good.

Its bad form to say, "I told you so" so instead I will say, "I informed you thusly" (directed at the world in general, not the OP)

rmcard

Alibre Support was quick to respond and sent me a MS Windows link for a Uninstall/Repair check app and a procedure for a registry and file cleanup. Re-installed and now back up and running. I did two uninstall/re-installs earlier in the morning that had no effect. I have another program that was acting up this morning that isn't associated with Alibre and will try the same thing on that.

Because I had something else screwing up today I kinda lean towards it being more a windows problem than an Alibre problem. Even tho' the last windows update was on the 13th I may not have shut down the computer until yesterday. That would be probably why the problem didn't show up till today.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Just on a side note:

Many people don't know that MS will force update previous windows version too i.e. 7/8/8.1. If they think its important then you will get the update. Now these can be turned off but not via the 'usual' route i.e. RC My Computer --> Properties --> Windows Update. That will only stop the bulk stuff the MS wants us to use but will not block all updates. One can disable updates completely via the registry. I do this and honestly my PC runs a lot smoother. But be warned you have to be careful what you do and where/how you do it. Unsolicited emails and flashdrives are the biggest threat.