What's new

Alibre licensing

BrianC

The entitlement... :rolleyes:

Alibre doesn't need to be kept in check. No other company makes as much effort to reach out to it's customers and find a solution. They are well within their right to make a profit. Don't like? Move on.

You pay your doctor to 'fix' you, he doesn't do it for free either. Why should Alibre be iny different?

How tf are Alibre's prices unfair? They are more than reasonable. Best deal around imo.
How TF are alibre prices unfair ?

That's easy .

Charging a home user the same thing as NASA and all those other big customers they named .

All I can say is your intitled to your opinions just like everyone else .
We did not have same life as each other . Everyone has differnt schooling and parents . Every person had different experience and thought process . We are all individuals. There is no reason for me to think the same as you . But I do agree that they have great software and diserve to be paid . But asking the same for a multi billion dollar business and a at home guy is just plain dumb .

Just remember if we are here posting we already paid for the product . So free is out of the question .

Internet sales have turned sales into
A nightmare assuming everyone across the united states make the same money And experiences the same lifestyle .
Selling a product to a guy in California and selling a product to a guy in north Carolina is like a billionaire guy in Dubai trying to sell something to a poor man in china . Different areas of the nation have total different life's and experiences than others in the nation We all have the right to think and feel our own individual ways . We are not the same person .

No pun intended.

Love alibre software .
Love there support .
But some things are just a little iffy ..
There needs to be a change to grow .

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Charging a home user the same thing as NASA and all those other big customers they named .
Remember, the price of an item is based on what it costs to produce it not on the customers income level or the part of the country/world it is sold in. I don't see a schedule of prices for cars or iPhones based on income level. Siemens and Dassault don't have a price break down for NX or SolidWorks based on your ability to pay and, BTW, the last time I checked, maintenance for SW was around the $400 mark - per month.

Alibre does offer the ability to have a payment plan to fit into your particular budget.

Mika

I have been using F360 and also Alibre some years with my one development project…and I have been wondering so long that in a which software I’m going to continue that in future.

Now just lately it realized that it is Alibre, because I have been waiting to Autodesk make those drawing attribute auto-populate to be updated…now they did it and they put it under the paid add-on ”Manage Extension”.

No way. I’m not gonna pay separately about some function what should be default on a every modern CAD system. My choice is Alibre.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Yea, same here.

Fusion is really good, has excellent CAM and despite the subscription style pricing, is reasonably priced.

But, I hate the subscription crap, almost as much as I hate the cloud based stuff.

For me, Alibre and CamBam, for the win. I haven't found anything I can't do with that combination, yet. CamBam has a steep learning curve and a pretty ancient user interface, but is incredibly capable once you learn it.

Alibre Design Pro is very good, despite a few little things that require monotonous workarounds. For example, working with text in sketch, the inability to copy/paste and create circular text patterns is annoying.

But, at least I can create the text symbol, explode it, then move and rotate it into position. Just gotta do each one individually, over and over and over. It's doable, but a bit painful.

It took about an hour to position the text for the index markings on this toolpost.

The maintenance thing is my only leverage. Once Alibre adds the Ability to properly work with text in a new version/update, I'll buy their maintenance and upgrade. Perhaps in version 25!

Last edited:

BrianC

too high for no ecosystem of users providing training videos .

when some of you business users start sharing how toos on youtube
it may become more attractive to small time home users .
its without a doubt what makes the other cad software attrictive for me .
at 50 years old i dont learn very well from reading . short term
memory not as sharp as it once was . i need to watch it be done .

home users need the simple and time saving stuff . not business .
they only add them the more you pay .

we are all entitled to our opinions .

i guess ill keep it since i bought it . but i still think its maintenance is a bit overpriced . just my opinion though .

I don't like accepting what business do as the norm and ok .
so ill keep plugging away online and with youtube reviews hoping
some of this will change . PR Image is the only thing most business
listen too . if everyone keeps accepting it then prices just keep getting higher .

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Alibre Design Pro is very good, despite a few little things that require monotonous workarounds. For example, working with text in sketch, the inability to copy/paste and create circular text patterns is annoying.

But, at least I can create the text symbol, explode it, then move and rotate it into position. Just gotta do each one individually, over and over and over. It's doable, but a bit painful.

It took about an hour to position the text for the index markings on this toolpost.

The maintenance thing is my only leverage. Once Alibre adds the Ability to properly work with text in a new version/update, I'll buy their maintenance and upgrade. Perhaps in version 25!

This kind of modelling is actually possible in Alibre Design Expert. Limited to circular paths, but at least you would save 57 minutes on this operation alone :) Not to mention if you want to change something...

The trick is to use Sheetmetal functionality. Since this is possible I guess it could be tweaked (script?, next update?) to be more useful.

1639681239848.png

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Yea, I certainly see an upgrade to Expert in my future. There are a few other useful tools as well.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Yeah you can do that with Sheet Metal but the functionality should be in the Part workspace Sketch. Using SM to fudge the feature makes it only available to Expert users.
I think it's time text was updated in all versions of Alibre to save some frustration while attempting to create text along a curve.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Yea. Design "Professional" implies that it's intended for Professional use. To me, Professional indicates business and/or industrial use.

A business is going to want to model it's labels and logos too.

Having to use lots of workarounds, if doable at all, in order to model text for the button, switch, knob, lever or index on a design should be pretty basic. It exists on even the low cost or free, hobby use versions of most CAD software.

Don't get me wrong, Alibre Design Pro has enough advantages over the competition that I'm willing to tolerate the workarounds, but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to
Especially on the version marketed as "Professional".

I'm loving the software. In all honesty, most machined text and index markings can be handled in the CAM software as easily or moreso than in the CAD models. But, if your designing some cool widget and want to show-off the CAD model before making it, the markings need to be on the CAD model.

Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Yea. Design "Professional" implies that it's intended for Professional use. To me, Professional indicates business and/or industrial use.

A business is going to want to model it's labels and logos too.

Having to use lots of workarounds, if doable at all, in order to model text for the button, switch, knob, lever or index on a design should be pretty basic. It exists on even the low cost or free, hobby use versions of most CAD software.

Alibre has enough advantages over the competition that I'm willing to tolerate the workarounds, but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to, especially on the version marketed as "Professional".
To be fair Alibre have done A LOT to the software since the reaquisition. There is a lot in the pipeline and they seem to working through it bit by bit.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
To be fair Alibre have done A LOT to the software since the reaquisition. There is a lot in the pipeline and they seem to working through it bit by bit.

I have noticed that. It's definitely a big part of the reason I decided to stick around.

Before I upgraded to Design Pro, when I first got the Atom license, I was whining about the lack of sketch move/rotate tools in Atom. Max replied in the same thread that he was adding those tools to Atom in the next release. I was hooked right then and there!

Max recently also said that the text tools are definitely on the radar.