What's new

alibre memory usage

kurzwil21

Alibre v11 -2011 all have the same memory usage problems wether by design or lackoff. It seems alibre does not release memory. I can load an assembly and windows task mananger will show alibre using a certain amount of memory. I can then close the assembly and any related files drawings, and wait a couple seconds/minutes; whatever and it still shows Alibre using the same amount of memory while it is doing nothing. This accumulates over time and eventually you have a ton of memory being used on nothing. Can the memory problems/usage be fixed on newer releases of Alibre. The other mcad programs out there use memory more effeciently and release memory after parts and/or assemblies are closed.

Thanks. Any replies welcomed.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
As far as I am concerned these are written in the MSDN and well known that the Visual Studio reports if delete operation has not been done after the software is terminated.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/we2zys4d(v=VS.90).aspx

I usually monitor the task manager to see if my software is leaking memory or not.
All I need to do is, as you mentioned, search the software part which might does that sort of malicious deed.
And if it has not been detected, my software won't last too long, so there is no choice at all.
BTW, the software I make could run couple of days without crashing nor no memory leakage.

Nasty behavior occurs when I start to do dynamic memory use on the multi thread application.
But these can be avoided by making my memory usage 'static' than 'dynamic'.

And the last tip is usually not written in MSDN.
:roll:

sigseven

kurzwil21 said:
I can then close the assembly and any related files drawings, and wait a couple seconds/minutes; whatever and it still shows Alibre using the same amount of memory while it is doing nothing.
At this point, while you have closed all the designs and are waiting, start opening other programs and documents within them. Preferably the most memory intensive programs and the largest size files you have available, so that Windows actually needs the memory that Alibre is holding.

What I have observed is that when something else needs the memory, it will be released from Alibre. My understanding is that this is an intended feature of Windows and the .NET framework. Until something else needs the memory it remains cached, so that if it turns out the program needs it again, it's available right away.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
sigseven said:
... My understanding is that this is an intended feature of Windows and the .NET framework. Until something else needs the memory it remains cached, so that if it turns out the program needs it again, it's available right away.

Sure, and every one of the other developers do what they can to eliminate the effect in their software so they don't get the same complaint (or because it just doesn't always work right?). Don't you just Love "Progress".

But it is why I can "Switch User" so quickly and "log off" and back on fast on my computer (multiple user profiles) - significantly compared to a reboot and cold logon.

( :shock: Now, if the memory is corrupted (overclocking :roll:, flaky unlocked cores, etc. ), closing a program and re-opening I suppose you step right back into it if you do not reboot :wink: ).