What's new

Alibre no more:

Ralf

Alibre Super User

Interesting comment from the - obviously - not so well educated reseller. I know they "invented" 2D-CAD for personal computers, but that's it. The rest is copying and acquiring companies like Maya and 3D Studio.
Thank you for the kind compliment an Greetings to my colleague in the north.
Seriously:
If you have worked long enough with Autodesk apps. like me, here you may also join in the conversation.

:lol:

Mibe

Alibre Super User

Well - I've used and tried them all, since the mid 80's - Autocad, 3D-Studio, Mechanical Desktop, Inventor etc.. So I hopefully have enough ammo to stand my points in this case.

Autodesk seldom invents stuff, they buy companies and integrate, therefore the reseller that stated that Alibre copied Inventor, is dead wrong and don't know anything about the market and the history if Inventor... Well, maybe he was just lying? :shock: :wink:

scarr

Hi Ralf, Mibe, I agree with you on a variety of points you've made. This is as you've stated an Alibre forum, not an Inventor forum, and comparisons are rather useless unless you're comparing apples to apples - Alibre, for the price and functionality is still my choice of CAD tools. I've used quite a few over the years too. Each application has strong and weak points, but none of them have a company like Alibre behind them.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

scarr said:
Hi Ralf, Mibe, I agree with you on a variety of points you've made. This is as you've stated an Alibre forum, not an Inventor forum, and comparisons are rather useless unless you're comparing apples to apples - Alibre, for the price and functionality is still my choice of CAD tools. I've used quite a few over the years too. Each application has strong and weak points, but none of them have a company like Alibre behind them.

Well said.

I do not use Inventor although I am very familiar with Autocad. Just do not like the extortion prices and forced into new dwg and dxf formats just so no one else can open them. A very good friend uses inventor and he loves it but then again he doesn't have to pay for either. Just a Autodesk lover I guess (they have those on the other side as well).

I have shown him Alibre but he has tools (3rd party) that does what he needs in Inventor. And while Alibre is newer to this area it is growing fast. In my opinion these 3rd party tools are what makes some of these high end software so good, not just the software on it's own ground.

Eventually tools like those being developed by Alex and others on this forum will help Alibre take a step up into making it more productive than ever. I just wish there was enough time int he day to develop my own tools. :roll:

Ralf

Alibre Super User

Indesign & scarr

Have you read my post?

Such discussion are nonsense and very unobjective.
Comparisons are nonsense.

I was 12 years with Autodesk applications tortured.
Never again!

Here is an Alibre forum, this is exactly my opinion.

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
Endless discussion

As far as I now the kernel in Autodesk products and Alibre is the same.
Acis, made by some independent, who sold license to some of the upcoming players in the 3D solid modeling market at that time as HP (M10) and others.
Autodesk hesitated long time before the realized that solid modeling was a most, at last they bought a ticket to the Acis kernel.
So I think that Alibre have the same potential as other Acis kernel users.

As a curiosum it should be mentioned that the Acis guys later sold there company to Autodesk’s worst competitor.

kind regards Oldbelt.

Do it right first time.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Hi Oldbelt,

If I remember correctly, Autodesk bought a perpetual license for the then current version of ACIS, a few years ago and have gone their own way since. So, the correct answer might be "used to be the same kernel" - with regard to Inventor, anyway.

szimmer

oh lord!

It always amazes what issues bring out passion in people and what REAL issues don't. :(

Anyway, I wish Alibre the best.

In the meantime, I need to work on that assembly that I imported into Inventor that would not work in Alibre.

:wink:

Simon

Ralf

Alibre Super User

And I have in the meantime imported, an assy that the "Diva" can not imported.
But nobody know why ?

szimmer

Peace on earth!

See peace is possible in this messed up world!

It is a nice feeling.

:)

Simon
p.s.
Go Alibre and Inventor!

hehe!

Ralf

Alibre Super User

I agree.

Small joke:

Alibre is the "Racer" in the desert sands and Inventor is the moody "Diva".

Peace on earth (and between CAD users) :wink:

scarr

:D I do like this forum -it's such a fun place to visit, always something interesting going on - bye Simon, good luck and happy trails.
Ralf3 - was Autodesk really that bad? I've got a copy of it and it works great, well the box does anyway, as a spacer for the short leg on my desk :shock: Have a good evening or morning depending on which side of the date line you're on.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
Re:

scarr said:
Autodesk really that bad? I've got a copy of it and it works great, well the box does anyway, as a spacer for the short leg on my desk :shock:

:lol: Thanks, Steve! I needed that!

Dabble

There is a free version of Inventor called Lt That I model in occasionally the only draw back is no assembly. That's where my good in-expensive Alibre comes in export files from inventor LT as step files assemble in Alibre .

We do use Acad at work for 2d stuff but I model everything in Alibre export my dwg. from Alibre to my Acad templates do my dimensioning and all is well. The memory issue With Alibre does get annoying sometimes but I just save often. Just my 2 cents