What's new

Alibre not releasing files??

JST

Alibre Super User
I use SyncToy to backup files.

I am getting a list of errors from SyncToy, that it "cannot read from source" with the reason as "active". That. to me, means Alibre has not released those files. I've tried closing, opening then closing, for Alibre. I've tried opening the containing model and closing IT.

Still "cannot read from source", "active".

What IS this?

My theory is that it stems from the known memory leak causing errors when too much memory is gobbled up.

I finally "bit the bullet" and shut down the computer, and restarted. That DID allow the 7 failed files to be backed up. But I risked losing the whole works, if there really had been a problem.

Please do NOT mistake this for a "solution"...... It is fundamentally unacceptable for Alibre to fail to release files, even when it has been closed.

Now, it is perfectly possible that Alibre ran out of memory after being "on" for a long time, and left things undone, as suggested above........ Again, please do not mistake THAT for a "user problem".

1) Alibre should not run out of memory without announcing that there is a problem.

2) I have 16gig memory, and there is no reason in the world why Alibre should have managed to eat that all up, when it could open many large files when first started.

3) Alibre should just plain NOT DO THIS. There is a "memory leak". Other programs that work with large files do not do this, it is only Alibre that does.

I really am still trying to help, but my patience is wearing thin, very thin. I am pretty close to just letting Alibre rot.

However....... trying once more to get this looked at...... this occurs when opening and closing big files, which happens a fair bit when trying to check each of them, and going back to correct oversights, or get parts correctly oriented, check that all are constrained, and correcting ones that are not, etc, etc, etc.

Typically I am looking at the full model, and then going back to edit subassemblies. I prefer not to do complex editing as "edit here", partly because of the "shower of errors" that can occur, and partly becuse it is clumsy when things cannot be seen without hiding lots of parts. So the full model, and large subassemblies may be opened, edited, and closed repeatedly, and fairly rapidly, as I work through the items that need attention.. That seems to be what triggers the progressive gobbling up of memory.

Maybe that information helps you get to the bottom of the obvious memory leak.

Last edited: