What's new

Alibre online store and overseas prices

cde

First of all, Hello to everyone in here!

For a while now, I've been researching the market for a CAD software for my busines.

Based on the design features and workbenches, my preffered CAD software list looks like this:
1-CATIA V5 (has every thing I need and beyond, and I have extensive knowledge of it)
2-SolidWorks (has just about everything I need, and lots of features are very similar with the ones in CATIA, so would be easier to adapt to it)
3-Alibre (good solid modeling but not as flexible as the other two because the sufacing module is missing)

Based on the selling price the prefered list will be the exact reverse:
1-Alibre (the cheapest one with a relatively good set of features)
2-SolidWorks (the price is relatively high but has just about everything I need, could be a good option if bought without maintenance)
3-Catia V5 (I'd love to have it but the price is to high)

While I'm really tempted by Alibre's price, the fact that it doesn't have a sufacing workbench it's a big drawback. For surfacing I will have to buy a separate software, which means aditional costs and also the hassle of having two diferent products instead of a single integrated one.
Even so, I was really tempted to actualy buy Alibre Expert, so I went on https://www.alibre.com/store/ to buy it online, hopeing that in a few minutes (or in the worst case a few days) I will own the software at the price seen on the online shop.
Unfortunately I was dreaming, probably because I'm not from US I don't have the privilege of having the software at the price seen on the online shop. Instead, when proceeding to check out, I've been instructed to contact the local distributor in the country I'm residing in, which of course has biger prices than the ones on Alibre's website. I know this is a common practice for big CAD software companies but I wouldn't expect it from Alibre, about which I've read that is determined to sell the software at the lowest possible price.

Being forced to pay extra just because I have to buy from a local distributor doesn't seem to be the lowest price possible to me.
I've called Alibre sales people and when asking if I can still buy online at the seen price I've been told that it is not posible because Alibre is protecting (this was the word used) its distributors and I'll have to buy from the local one.

I hope somebody at Alibre can help me buy the software at the price shown on http://www.alibre.com website because I don't think I'm going to spend double for the same software just because I'm residing in another part of the world.

Many thanks for reading this long post!

Leno

I hope somebody at Alibre can help me buy the software at the price shown on http://www.alibre.com website because I don't think I'm going to spend double for the same software just because I'm residing in another part of the world.

Hi cde,
I am from Germany, I found these prices:
O-Punkt CAD GmbH - German Reseller (Ralf here in the user forums)
Price list
USD = EURO
Where is the problem?

Last edited:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Thank´s Leno. :)

Being forced to pay extra just because I have to buy from a local distributor doesn't seem to be the lowest price possible to me.
I've called Alibre sales people and when asking if I can still buy online at the seen price I've been told that it is not posible because Alibre is protecting (this was the word used) its distributors and I'll have to buy from the local one.

Hello cde,

You have not spend the double for the same software.
The German prices be correct: 1 Euro = 1 USD in the last 4 years.

Such discussions always come back...
If you live in the states, you pay less for some things, but for others more than in Germany.

Current examples:
Bunkspeed hyperShot web: $ 195 in the States and 195,- Euro in Germany.
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended : $ ~ 620 in the States and ~ 960,- Euro in Germany.

You can call me everytime, and we can speak about your offer/price.

Kaiser Franz würde sagen:"Da legst di nieda" :wink:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Unlike most software in the UK where you do typically pay 2xUS price, Alibre Design is only slightly above US price here. There are also often special deals available. I've found the (new) UK distributor very keen to help, give him a call if you are UK based.

BernardK

Alibre Super User
David,

I've not had much to do with the distributor so I'm interested to know how effective the new one is? In what way is he keen? Pricing, sales or technical?

Regards

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Bernard - I think the main difference between Mintronics and the previous distributor is that software sales/support is the entire focus of the business (it isn't an add-on to another type of business). Alibre Design is core to the business, and there seems to be much more organisation to the sales effort. I came across John who runs Mintronics a few years back when he worked for a major Solidworks reseller and I was first looking for 3D modelling software (before I found Alibre).

I find John very approachable, and I know he has fed back some of my critical comments to Alibre - the best thing is probably to give him a call and have a chat.

Hope that helps.

BernardK

Alibre Super User
Thanks for that info. I'm trying to get one of my clients interested in Alibre today, so I may have reason to get in touch. I think very few small businesses are aware of Alibre as an alternative to the relative high cost of something like Solidworks. The general opinion is that 3D costs around 5K to 10K to get into on top of expensive hardware. I got a raised eyebrow when I said that I can do 3D on a laptop for under 1K!

Regards

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Bernard, I agree! Alibre is not as well known in the UK as it should be. Smaller companies often don't have a clue how much benefit they could get from moving to 3D where appropriate. I think there is also often some fear - the user feels comfortable with their current methods/package and is hesitant about moving to something new.