What's new

Alibre Points 3D and 2D Splines - Lines - Points

A

Anonymous

Hello,

after a lot of hard work i am proud to present you Alibre-Points in a brand new version.

With this version you can import a chain of points as points, lines or splines and this in 2D AND 3D.

The point chain must be stored in a .txt file.

The Format of the pointchain in the .txt File should be:

0;10.4;3
2;3;9.8

Use at your own risk!
No warranty for any damage on hardware, software or models.

Should work now completely without office installed - please let me know if this is wright.

If you want a closed 3D Spline you have to replace the first points (x,y,z) at the end of file again.

Enjoy

Edited: !!!!!!! 3D Spline works only when you are using V12.1 - 2D Spline should work with Version <12, too !!!!!!

Attachment was changed to a newer Version - some Bugs fixed - closing splines now in 2D and 3D by clicking a checkbox

Attachments

• Alibre Points - TXT (C)2009 Renner.zip
    329.9 KB · Views: 493

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
With 3d lines or splines I get the following error: "An Error occurred. Please check if the Session exists!" A 3d Sketch is created in the Alibre Part however it is empty and generates an Alibre error msg on editing. I'm on Alibre V12 without any MS Office installed.

A

Anonymous

Hello Nate,

first you have to open an alibre part.

in the software on the left side you can choose which session you want to insert the geometry to.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I was using the txt file that was included. Also I has selected the part session. Could the session have changed during 3d sketch creation?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Also note that there is an almost random error generated when hovering over the session selection box. It seems to have something to do with having a drawing and a part open.
Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
com.ms.com.ComFailException: (0x8004025e) Attempt to access index -1; valid range is 0..-1

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Alibre Points - TXT  (C)2009 Renner
    Assembly Version: 1.0.3715.32729
    Win32 Version: 1.0.3715.32729
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/User/Local%20Settings/Apps/2.0/BX7GK64V.HD5/YTMD387V.N0Z/alib..tion_817c6e2b9ce8b8ee_0001.0000_12c942bb23471029/Alibre%20Points%20-%20TXT%20%20(C)2009%20Renner.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
AlibreX
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 12.1.0.12044
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/User/Local%20Settings/Apps/2.0/BX7GK64V.HD5/YTMD387V.N0Z/alib..tion_817c6e2b9ce8b8ee_0001.0000_12c942bb23471029/AlibreX.DLL
vjslib
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/vjslib/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/vjslib.dll
vjscor
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/vjscor/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/vjscor.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
1-> Start Alibre
2 -> Start Alibre Points
3 -> Open a new part
4 -> Choose the session -> New Part (x)
5 -> Check 3D
6 -> Check -> Spline + PTS
7 -> Check -> Close Spline
8 -> Press the " Import .txt " Button
9 -> Choose a *.txt file ( ; separated )
10 -> Press =>

Example clip

Works also with other *. txt files:

Attachments

• 3TH-new.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 189
A

Anonymous

Hello Nate,

3D Spline / 3D Sketch is a very new feature in the Api of V12 / V12.1

I am not sure, if 3D Splines are possible in V12, maybe V12.1 is needed.

Could anybody who is running V12.0 please test if that's the Problem?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
v12.1 Release Notes said:
Bug Fixes in V12.1, continued...
API
New API to query if a sketch or feature is "active"
New API to get unique ID of a sketch figure within the containing sketch.
API to bind to the sketch figure given its unique ID and containing sketch
New API ability to create a 3D sketch from edges and face boundaries
API method to add a 3D Polyline
Call api_get_entity_box( ) when calculating facetting parameters for a helical face
Yep, that was probably the reason. With my work pc upgraded to v12.1 I have no problem with the spline creation. Very nice! :D

A

Anonymous

Hello Nate,

nice to hear that everything works now :lol:

I have added a newer Version for Download.

Some bugs are fixed (if you trie to load a non compatible text you get an error message instead of aborting the app.) and closing 3D Spline (and 3D Polyline) is now possible by clicking a checkbox.

Regards
Joachim

bemfarmer

This superb add-on works in 64 bit Alibre 2011, in Windows7 64bit. I used it to make a cycloid gear reducer profile, "CAM."
Importing 2d, spline only, no closure, text file, created a 2d sketch, which can be extruded.
X and Y points can be created with an excel spreadsheet. For a 360 degree profile, the last X,Y point should be the same as the first point, then closure occurs "automatically", and the spline analyzes as no defects, and can be extruded.
(Replaced final Y = ######E..., near zero scientific notation, with zero (0).)
Create X;Y entries, in Excel, by =CONCATENATE(Xcell,";",Ycell). Copy and Paste X;Y entries in that column, to a Text
Document on the desktop.

Open Alibre first, and create New Part(1). (or NewPart(2) etc.)
Then open Point Import, hit screen button, select New Part(1)
Then select plane. Then select 2d, and spline, no closure. Then select Text file X;Y, Then hit <= button. Done.
(Small sweep profiles can also be done, on 2d curved lines, if profile is "small enough.")

(Unproductive trys: 2d points did not seem to work. 2d points plus spline imported, but did not analyze clear.)
(The spline could be deleted, and a new spline manually added, (a major job,) and would extrude.)
(3d, Z=0 imports, cannot be extruded, nor worked with much.) This is based upon a lot of trial and error. :D
[Posted some files under "cycloid..." in "Using Alibre Design."]

A

Anonymous

Hello Bemfarmer,

nice to hear, that you have fun with the tool :)

2D points should work, too - but you can only see them when you activate the sketch they are in.

Could you post a screenshot or model for ALibre V12?
I have not updated to AD2011

Thank you

Take care

Joachim

bemfarmer

Thank you Joachim for the Alibre-Points add-on.

You are correct, the (invisible) 2D points do show up in 2d sketch mode, now that I tried it.

Here are two Alibre version 12.1 files, created in Windows Vista, Alibre 12.1
The hypocycloid, which will need to have a pin wheel, (ring gear,) created in the center, has a circle drawn around it, to extrude.
One paper found the hypocycloid type reducer, "better" than the epcycloid type...
The epicycloid will need a ring gear created around it.

Are your "Deploy" files the complete "source" program? I downloaded vb.nt / visual studio, but don't know how to use anything.
I thought Alibre could be used to display graphic programs.....

Attachments

• HypocycloidExtrudedAlibre12_1 (1).AD_PRT
    393 KB · Views: 233
  • EpicycloidExtrudedAlibre12_1 (1).AD_PRT
    378.5 KB · Views: 246
A

Anonymous

Hello Bemfarmer,

pretty cool what you are doing there , thank you for publishing it here.

I do not hope, that the sourcecode of my application can directly be encoded out of the deploy-files.

If you need any help depending on the api please feel free to ask, maybe i can help.

Take care

Joachim

bemfarmer

Regarding choice of the spline method:
Translation: "Chordale" Spline Method in English is "Chord Length Method"
"Zentripetale" in English is "Centripetal Method"
A Chord is the distance between data Points.
It is best to have the chord distances relatively uniform. (Distribution of chord lengths)

If there are some points close together, and then some points far apart:
The Chord Method works well for the uniform, closely spaced points, but may produce "bulges" when chord distance increases a lot.
The Centripetal Method works better for the points far apart, but worse for the closely spaced points, and may produce loops when the order increases.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/COURSES/cs ... lobal.html

"As for the chord length method, the above figures show that it does not work very well for longer chords, especially those followed or preceded by a number of shorter chords, for which big bulges may occur. There is no significant impact of degree on the shape of the interpolating curves shown above. Since the centripetal method is an extension to the chord length method, they share the same characteristics. However, since the centripetal method has a tendency to even out the distance between two adjacent parameters, it also share the same characteristics of the uniform and universal methods. For example, the generated interpolating curves follow longer chords closely and loops may occur for shorter chords when degree increases. In fact, results above show that the centripetal method and the universal method perform similarly."

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Hello Bemfarmer,

It looks like you have particular needs regarding splines and machining. I hope I can gain your insight now and then in this forum.

Presently I am working out a large profile (~14" diameter) cam of sorts. Many issues have been nagging at me.

I understand now that "It is best to have the chord distances relatively uniform."

In a case where you intend to have your profile machined, is there preferred distance between points.

For precision machining (another issue) I suppose too few points and the surface is wavy, which I want to avoid during any prototyping and evaluation.

Too many points and I suppose performance issues come up.

Is there a ballpark (fraction or ratio) separation of points, for motion and machining, that I should be working toward, a particular spline method?

Is there a suitable spline in Alibre or should I use other software for the profile?

Thanks (to all forum users) for any information or tips.

Roger

bemfarmer

I do not know :)
I suppose the machining precision would have a lot to do with the post processer of the CAM program :?:

Hey, I have used this "Alibre Points" for a bit and have been pleased. I don't know what just changed, but for some reason it is "scaling" when I import points. I verified the coordinate pairs manually so something is either happening in "alibre points" or in Alibre itself.

Has anybody had issues with unwanted scaling? If so, where can one go to fix it?

Once again, AP WAS working great... but now my point clouds import SCALED (approx 1/12)

I tried uninstall/reinstall with now effect.