What's new

Alibre - Poor choice of business model ? - Solved

PaulProe

I have been using Alibre for 8 years, a one man shop. I use the program on two different machines, one in the shop and one in the office. Being alone, only one program runs at a time by me - No need for a second seat. As a long time subscriber, I had three authorizations (somehow I lost one, two are/were still used) All was well till the 2018 changes to the registration process. I understand the need to clamp down on the registration process and piracy, but the new method put a serious crimp in my operation. No longer could I move from the shop to the office machine, I had to shut one down, release the license then open the other (what happened to my two authorizations?)

After numerous problems and un-resolved programming issues, and complaints about the licensing/usage, I was given a concurrent license so I could access the two machines - or at least, that's how it was described. But with that came my next issues - concurrent licenses don't work if you don't have access to a live internet connection.

Their solution; use my cell phone as a hot spot when in sketchy areas. My main customer is located in an area that does not have good cell phone coverage - and they don't have a strong IT department so guest access to their lines isn't available. The best I can do is view a file and make copius notes for later changes.

Today was icing on the cake. Home, in my office and the internet dies - down for about 5 hours, a copy of Alibre that I can not use and a hot project that I need to get done before I leave late tomorrow evening.

Thanks, Alibre, your business model / licensing procedure SUCKS ! It used to work very well, TILL YOU FIXED IT ! I lived thru the previous owners issues - and felt the employee ownership was a step forward and held great promise. But maybe not so much. Technical glitches are still going unresolved and using the program becomes more and more difficult with every "Improvement" I have a maintenance renewal coming up in the near future. May have to take a serious look at this, not sure things are getting any better.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Paul

JST

Alibre Super User
I have not seen any "poor business model" of that sort with alibre. But I recall programs having a license that explicitly stated that the license dies with the computer, despite it being an application program and not an OS. So if the hard disk fried itself, you would have to repurchase the program.... I believe every single user probably ignored that license provision, stupidest thing ever.

I also have a two install license, supposedly, although I have never installed the second, it was a "spiff" given some time ago. I will likely have occasion to install the second soon, so we will see if it still works.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I got on at the 3 install era, rode through the 2 install era, and am still here. I wasn't happy either but I haven't been inconvenienced by it since.
With the current version (and an internet connection) you can install as many places as you want and deactivate the license on one and enter it on another.

I will argue that (if you will) "Lack of polishing" known "issues" is a major contributor to the relative state of Alibre's "market penetration." I am currently working with Sprockets and Roller Chain (something I do on alternate Leap years) and am unable to get results I got with V10 Alibre. I am not sure why this is, but there has been virtually no "improvements or polishing" done to Constraints over that period! Why do we not have (say) "taper taper Constraints" or "variable distance or angle Constraints?"

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I also have a two install license, supposedly, although I have never installed the second, it was a "spiff" given some time ago. I will likely have occasion to install the second soon, so we will see if it still works.

I am another "3 licenses down to 2" user and I am currently using both licenses simultaneously without any issue. Just to let you know.

oilman

The Topic is "Alibre - Poor choice of business model?" And how does my posy not continue that line of thought?

The original poster was ranting about licensing and all the follow-up posts were about licensing. Certainly off-topic Lew.

Back to the topic... I have had 0 issues with the licensing system used in Alibre. I'm on their node locked license and I have spotty satellite internet access. I was offered an update to the concurrent license at a discount and was tempted since I switch between a laptop and desktop frequently, but when I asked the salesman more about it he said consistent internet access was required to launch. Non-starter for me.

When I bought I only got 1 install. This was several years ago from Geometric. Alibre made it much easier to move from one computer to another with their licensing system. It's done instantly with the built in utility where with Geometric utility it took some time to "resolve." The License Portal they released several months ago makes the whole process less of a headache. Kudos to Alibre for that. I'd still pay for another install though but can't justify the cost of another seat just for the convenience....

PaulProe

My apologies and sincere thanks to Max and the entire Alibre team. They reached out to me and came up with a solution that fits my needs.

I recognize my case is an exception to the rule and you have to come up with a plan that services the largest number of your users. I just added too many variables to make it 'typical' or expected.

I've seen more progress in the Alibre system in the last year than we saw the entire time it was owned by 'the other guys'. I am guilty of overlooking that and selfishly, focusing on my problem, instead of complimenting the crew for all the good they've done.

Again, thanks Max.

Paul Proefrock

mstevens

My apologies and sincere thanks to Max and the entire Alibre team. They reached out to me and came up with a solution that fits my needs.

I recognize my case is an exception to the rule and you have to come up with a plan that services the largest number of your users. I just added too many variables to make it 'typical' or expected.

Again, thanks Max.

Paul Proefrock

The funny thing is that if you had just reached out to Alibre (and ranted directly to them), the result most likely would have been the same and we wouldn't have had to endure it (the rant).