What's new

Alibre Script Question

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Alibre acquired WizoScript and fully integrated it into Alibre Design, made some upgrades, etc. Uninstall Wizo and use Alibre Script moving forward. :D

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Is there anyway for a script to get the currently selected axis, face, edge, point or plane? ... or am I missing something obvious!?

ajayre

Alibre Super User
You have to do that by showing the user a dialog window and prompting them to select the item.

Andy

simonb65

Alibre Super User
You have to do that by showing the user a dialog window and prompting them to select the item.

Andy
So there is no way at present to say, select a face, then run a script that inserts a complex series of features onto that face without the need for an additional popup to do the selection?! i.e. inserting raised text to indicate the material, or logo, etc I would like to have had the workflow that I just select where I want the 'base feature' needs to go and run. The script would do all the work like centring, orientating and sizing based on the surface selected and what the script is automating.

I personally would use Scripting as a collection of dedicated scripts and easier/simple workflow than a single script with a dialog of options.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I have not updated yet, can you tell me will you be able to start scripts from the command line / shortcuts like you can with WizoScript?

R-man

I was in the middle of significant experimentation using WizoScript when update arrived. I FOOLISHLY updated and am now frustrated just adjusting to new layout. And how awkward to have the script etc. taking up space on the drawing plane. Only a programmer would have thought of that! And, sure the new editor allows collapsing, but all of my spaces and tabs are showing too - it's a lot of distracting clutter. TOO MUCH WAS CHANGED! I clicked on "console" and in my shakiness must have double clicked. It disappeared to who knows where!!!

I shut down the program and am breathing slowly and counting to 10.

mumble, grumble . . . .

ajayre

Alibre Super User
You can reopen the console by clicking on the Console toolbar icon (or choosing the Console menu item under AlibreScript).

If you don't want the script editor in the design window you can click and drag the tab for the script to "undock" it. Then you can drag the editor panel down to the bottom to minimize it.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Tried the new "Gear Generator" script. Works like a charm.

Thanks for a job "well done", Andy.

ajayre

Alibre Super User
So there is no way at present to say, select a face, then run a script that inserts a complex series of features onto that face without the need for an additional popup to do the selection?! i.e. inserting raised text to indicate the material, or logo, etc I would like to have had the workflow that I just select where I want the 'base feature' needs to go and run. The script would do all the work like centring, orientating and sizing based on the surface selected and what the script is automating.

I personally would use Scripting as a collection of dedicated scripts and easier/simple workflow than a single script with a dialog of options.

This has been added for the next release.

Andy

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
It would be nice to insert text on a round part, like a pipe. I think this can be done with a script., but my programing skill are still at the novice level. So I don't' have a clue on to write the script for this operation.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Having done so well with wizoscript, your next challenge Andy is to build a script recorder! I like Simonb65's idea of dedicated scripts and being able to record a series of steps would be great. I have ideas for scripts but not the knowhow to write them. If I have a script that does approximately what I want I can normally modify it to what I want but building it from scratch is a headache.

In regards to selecting a face and then running a script, will we be able to have the program wait and ask for another input? ie. face or edge
I have an idea of automating the creation of keyways.

Run Script
1 Select keyway size from dropbox
2 Select Cylinder on part
3 Select Plane on part
4 Script inserts tangent plane, opens sketch and inserts key shape (maybe obround, can scripting handle obrounds?)
5 Select edge to measure from and enter distance,
6 Enter keyway length
6 Script sizes and cuts keyway

Having done so well with wizoscript, your next challenge Andy is to build a script recorder! I like Simonb65's idea of dedicated scripts and being able to record a series of steps would be great. I have ideas for scripts but not the knowhow to write them. If I have a script that does approximately what I want I can normally modify it to what I want but building it from scratch is a headache.
Albie -- I have the (American) assignment of key size based on shaft diameter (with associated torque load limits) from a system I designed for Generic CADD back in the 1980's. It also ties to the (once) ANSI and SAE keyway depth designation standards. Would this be of interest to you?

Yes thank you Lew, appreciated.
Albie -- I did a quck check of the main place I thought I filed it. I have several dozen other locations to check. Beat me about the Head and Shoulde if I do not post it to you in a couple of days. [Or send me an e-mail (tangent@olympus.net) so I can e-mail it directly to you.]

ajayre

Alibre Super User
In regards to selecting a face and then running a script, will we be able to have the program wait and ask for another input? ie. face or edge

Yes, this could be done with a text-based prompt for the user to make the next selection, or show the next dialog window for the next step.

Andy

All, as somebody used to the command "units.current = unittypes.inches" to make it work with AlibreScript it must ve in the form "Units.Current = UnitTypes.Inches"! otherwise it does not work!