What's new

Alibre Server Maintenance and v10?

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
Alibre Server Maintenance and v10?

I've been seeing an abnormal (or maybe I just didn't notice) amount of times when Alibre's server is undergoing maintenance. Is this a harbinger of the introduction of V10? Could it be that the stars are almost alinged? Or is it that it's just aliens in the hardware and I can expect a call from Art Bell's show? Or is it George Noory, now... :mrgreen:

Can't log on, or repository is not available

In the last two months I have had numerous times where I either could not log on or could not access my online repository even when logged on. Each time I spend a half an hour closing, re-opening etc before I get up and going.

I do get the maintenance in 10 minute warning on top of the above as well.

When I reported the problem to Albre customer service. I was told that they did not know why they were having problems with the servers that there is something wrong but they can not figure it out.

Further I was told or it was strongly suggested that I move to an off line repository and since I am a single user using the repository on multiple computers that I might want to buy an external USB disk and put one repository on it for all computers, I was given a verbal or cursory overview on how to do this. And then copy once in awhile to the online repository for back up.

This was not good news as one of the values of Alibre is the online repository, but it does not sound like they will be able to keep this one?

V10 will have some improvements to help this, but it will also default to work offline rather then online. Not good news for online users, sounds like the online thing is getting over Alibre's head.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

Hi, Jake.
I just doubt if they say they do not know, because all they have to do is to gather the server logs and search your log on / off condition. Then, they must be able to diagnose their servers bottle neck if they have enough time and will.
Or perhaps they might switch to new machine when they release V10?
So they pretend they do not know? ... That's not good way of thinking. Let's believe that there will be better server condition. And Alibre people are just innocent. ... just like me.: 8) :D

Hello Toshi,

I agree with you. I was dumbfounded on what he was telling me. I asked the question several times and ended with, is this the official Albre policy. The tech was quite comfortable taking this position so I assume this has been discussed as a path with in the company. It was a sharp turn from other excellent support calls I have had, and positions of fixing the problem. So I do think there is much more to this then an unknown problem. However, on other calls in the last two months, they did say there were having server problems.

The tech did not suggest that V10 was a solution, only that it might help as they are changing some things.

It could simply be that they do not have enough capacity, and it does not make sense $$ wise to add to it to make it as it was??

Maybe only a few of us are having the problem. Also note the first thing they do when I reported the problem on the phone was ask "why am I using the on line serivce" did I need to share the files? If not why not go off line etc etc. This was the first 5 minutes of the call, so it was , "we do not think you need to use the on line serice, we receommend you get off"

payers

Re:

acejake1000 said:
Also note the first thing they do when I reported the problem on the phone was ask "why am I using the on line serivce" did I need to share the files? If not why not go off line etc etc. This was the first 5 minutes of the call, so it was , "we do not think you need to use the on line serice, we receommend you get off"

This comment troubles me.

Alibre touts the online server as part of it's product. Granted, it is more along the lines of a value-added thing than part of the core functionality, but it is still one of the features they use to help sell Expert. Telling you not to use a feature you have paid for, simply because it has problems they are unwilling/unable to diagnose, is NOT supporting their product.

I personally have little use for the online repository, but if I did need it, issues like this would aggravate me to no end.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

I was rather thinking that the whole point of the online repository was so that we, the users would have more flexibility. So that say I don't have to rely on an external hard drive to take between work and home... and to share files, if necessary. I may just be missing the big picture...

I just spent another 30 minutes trying to get to my online

repository, givern that there is not an easy way to move files off the repository, I guess I need to schedule a few hours soon and move all off and go to back to toting an extrenal disc, the whole experience is a lot of time lost, and Albire seems to be clueless about how to fix it.

This is not a service it is a major time waster now, it used to be quite good.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

You can always make a backup/restore of a repository to an external drive (this is what I so, since I currently do not place much faith in our server situation. Oh! I mean here at work, not necessarily Alibre, sorry guys!)

Anyway, the move to .NET should be a pretty big step in getting things resolved for us. I have been hesitating in using the Alibre server space, what with past troubles.

So, here's to optimistic hoping.

Regards,

Jordan

gregmilliken

.NET plans and V10

Hi All,

I felt I should post here and also link this post to my previous one on V10 and our plans for the server.

First, sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing. Counter to a sentiment expressed in the thread, we do understand the server situation and this should have been conveyed in your call with support. I have discussed this with our support manager and he is working to make sure the entire team precisely understands the state of things.

As many of you know we have been working on our server to move it to .NET from Microsoft Java. There are two components to our .NET port, the server and the client; the client is essentially our core CAD system, and the server manages functionality like repository publishing/sharing. Our plan had been to move the server component to .NET first and then follow with the client, however, in the process of moving our server to .NET we identified some different ways of handling the functions the server performs. Some compelling technologies and services have become available since we initially developed our server architecture, and we’ve decided that we can deliver a better solution than we could have by simply moving our current architecture to .NET. As a result, we have shifted our .NET efforts to the client, and then will follow with a new implementation for data sharing and management. The tradeoff, however, is that neither of these projects will be ready by V10.

All data sharing and repository functionality will still be available in V10 but it will continue to use our current architecture, however, we believe that we should be able to deliver better server performance and stability with V10. The reason being that we have found that a lot of server traffic is generated from users signing on who are not using the capabilities of the product that require signing on, such as publishing and sharing a repository or using a server repository. This puts an a unnecessary load on the server that has led to some of the instabilities and server maintenance messages some of you have seen. By changing the default sign on behavior such that, in general, only those needing features such as repository sharing will sign on, server performance and reliability should be improved.. In addition, we are also upgrading our server hardware and monitoring tools which should further help us deliver an improved experience.

In summary, our change in plans with regard to moving our server to .NET will have a positive impact sooner on those aspects of the product that most people touch regularly, while enabling us to pursue a better course of action for delivering more scalable and extensible technologies for data sharing and collaboration. We believe this plan will allow us to deliver the most comprehensive solution and most value to our customers in the least amount of time.

I also want to mention that we have a “local” Team Server product that eliminates the need to connect and sign on to our server via the Internet, so this is also an option. If you feel you can benefit from this, please contact our sales or support teams and we can work with you to evaluate if it will be a good fit for you.

Unfortunately, I can’t give a specific date for the deployment of the new data sharing capabilities or the .NET client port, but they are our top priorities, so we are going to focus on getting them done sooner rather than later. We will provide an update on these projects as they progress.

-Greg

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Thanks for the update, Greg. It's good to know that it's not because of aliens after all. :wink:

And again, here's to optimistic hoping! (Now, where's the "toasting with a mug of beer" emoticon?)

Regards,

Jordan