What's new

Alibre Server Problems

Alibre Server Problems

So for the last month or so I have had an intern helping with CAD work. He has been sharing my repositories via the local repository sharing functionality. This has been a very frustrating experience. Some days everything works pretty well (only a couple crashes) and other days, such as today (Tuesday 7/10), we have constant slow downs and crashes. When he starts accessing my files, my memory usage goes through the roof fairly quickly.

Support has informed me that Alibre has been having server problems. Has anyone else who shares local repositories experienced these issues?

dgstoll

Alibre crashed 2 times on me yesterday while working online so I went back to working offline and had no problems. So there was something going on at the alibre end.
daveS

jguest

Server problems

I was unable to load Alibre for an hour or so today. I couldn't get past the "Attempting to connect to server via SSL." Hitting Cancel had no effect. Reset system, then reloaded new copy of AD. Same problem. A few minutes later, problem disappears. I got a response promptly from support saying they had server problems. I noted to support that a server problem should be irrelevant once I hit cancel, as that should trigger off-line operation. He acknowledged that was a serious bug and "we're working on it." Funny thing, I seem to recall the same thing happening about a year ago. Why is it difficult to interrupt the server contact and operate the program off-line? Isn't that what the "cancel" feature is there for?

When designing a web-based CAD system, it seems utterly fundamental to make sure that customers aren't left twisting in the wind when weblink fails. For now, I'll keep it set to default offline.

The folks at Alibre seem nice enough. But there seems to be something missing in the corporate culture that keeps AD from being a serious business tool.

Jonathan

indesign

Alibre Super User

If this happens to you again you may try disconnecting fromthe network and see if it continues without any problems.

It works fine offline. However, if I am offline, my coworker can't work. Today, for example, everything was going fine until the server went down mid afternoon. After 45 minutes or so, everything was OK again.

Support tells me that they are having issues with the server that they hope will be solved soon, but they can't promise anything except wait for V10. In the mean time, we will take steps to reduce repository sharing to a minimum by physically separating our files so we can both work separately offline. Not the solution I was hoping for.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

As of July 16th evening.... I am having issues. I cannot even see the other user as "online." And, he cannot see me as online. So, obviously we cannot share repositories.

I have much hope for version 10 and the server stability / reliability.

Servern Problems Can not connect

I have also had many times where I either can not connect or it is painfully slow. For the last two hours today I can not connect I only get "unable to connect for unkown reason"

The server used to be reliable, not I can not predict when my work will be done, because I do not know if the server will be up or perhas worse, painfully slow.

This is has been a good month, when I reported it some time ago they acknowleged a server crash and a replacement. Given that it is going on for some time, something is not right, something bigger is going on, with the service I am afraid.