What's new

Alibre Stamped Sheet Metal Parts

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Thanks, glad it helps. I'm just trying to pass along some of the stuff I learned with SolidWorks and applied to Alibre with a different workflow.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Back in the day when I was running a press brake I used to form these latches on V-dies. and they looked like junk, especially the 120 degree form on the tongue. But that's the process I inherited. I had a conversation with the machinist in our machine shop and he designed a set of dies to form them in one step and produced a much more consistent part. It's been a long time since I ran a press brake or used the dies but I could probably model something up from memory. Give me a few days and I'll see how good my memory is.:)

We actually had several latches that had different offsets but were made from the same blank. So if the offset changed the length of the tongue would also change. The only way to change the offset and keep the tongue the same length would be to run strips of material through a set of progressive dies that make allowance for an offset change and a constant tongue length.

SergioP.

Is there a way to model the surfaces directly and then apply the thickness operation? That´s the way that I did for this kind of parts with other CADs

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The short answer is No. Alibre does not have a full set of tools to create just surfaces without creating a solid first.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I know there's probably a master's course for designing them, but out of curiosity if you have examples of the dies I'd like to see them.
Here are some screen shots of what I modeled up as close as I can remember what the dies looked like. This was designed to be installed in a press brake.
The punch assembly had a plate that could be removed and installed in the die to form a latch with a smaller offset. The die was sized so the blank just fit inside. That way it wouldn't move around when the punch entered the die and started forming the latch.
LATCH DIE ASSY - SECT 1.jpg

LATCH DIE ASSY - SECT 2.jpg

LATCH DIE ASSY - SECT 3.jpg

Cator

Harold,
a similar piece is used following the same concept also on accordions....even if here it works as a fulcrum for the curl of a holding spring. Congratulations for this and all the videos you share with us!
1701884811939.png

Ex Machina

Here are some screen shots of what I modeled up as close as I can remember what the dies looked like. This was designed to be installed in a press brake.
The punch assembly had a plate that could be removed and installed in the die to form a latch with a smaller offset. The die was sized so the blank just fit inside. That way it wouldn't move around when the punch entered the die and started forming the latch.
View attachment 40287

View attachment 40286

View attachment 40288
Wow man! Just W O W !!! Immensely cool!