What's new

Alibre STEP File Export Question

leeave96

I seem to recall years ago that the native file format for Alibre was STEP.

If true, is it necessary to export Alibre part and assembly files as a STEP or simply pass on the native Alibre files?

I see there is an option to export STEP, just curious about the above.

Thanks!

Whereas Alibre (used to, at least) use STEP geometric definition forms Internally, it has not (since 2009 at least) been compatible with STEP Exchange Formats.

JST

Alibre Super User
The STEP file format does not support anything useful, too much information is thrown away in STEP.

The Alibre files were supposedly based on STEP, but all the (otherwise thrown away) information on part history, etc, was evidently added to the basic STEP format. That makes it worthless as a "real" STEP format, but probably made it easy to define the storage format.

Package also just exports in Alibre format, all the Alibre information is still in there. I have not looked at the format to see if there is a STEP portion and then some "Alibre information packet adder", but I'd think not, that would be extra un-needed work.

If you want STEP, then just export as STEP. You lose all history, and part relations, but it is possible to export to other programs that way.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
The STEP file format does not support anything useful, too much information is thrown away in STEP.

STEP files exported from Alibre work just fine as inputs for my CAM program, but all I need there is accurate dimensions and geometry. No need for history there. Is there any missing info relevant from STEP files in that scenario?

JST

Alibre Super User
Step exports part geometry ok, the problem is that nothing else is exported. So you export a STEP of an assembly, and it may promptly explode into parts because there are no constraints exported. You must reapply constraints, or take other measures to prevent problems.