What's new

Alibre Symbols problem

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Would someone using V11, the 'vault', and XP try something for me?
On a drawing, I have a circle representing a hole with a concentric representing a countersink. Doing a diameter dimension on one of the holes, I get a nice diameter symbol and the size.
Here's the problem, editing the properties of the dimension on the text tab I use the insert Alibre Symbol button to pop up the chooser panel; it looks like the image here below. Notice there are two strange symbols, row 1/col 1 and row 4/col 4. The diameter symbols isn't there.

If somebody gets the time can they check this?

Thanks,
Dennis

Attachments

• screen2.JPG
    screen2.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,430

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Uhh...row3/col4 is the symbol for diameter, ø

And the symbol for a c'sink is the V-shape, row5/col1.

A circle (row2/col1) and a concentric (row4/col2) are symbols used for GD&T

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
OTE - Man I must have been stressed out Friday evidently. I see now dia was moved from previous position in V10; coupled with the new symbols I tricked myself into thinking it was not there. The c'sink I had no problem seeing probably because I don't use it that much and have to scan the box for it anyway. I even screwed up the location of the new symbols R1/C1 and R4/C1.

BERNARDK- Which symbols on the "GD&T Glossary and Resource Symbols and Terms" page do R1/C1 and R4C1 look like to you? Because I don't see the similarity to any of them.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The symbol at R4C1 means "Center Line". Sometimes placed on a drawing as "CL". But the symbol is better, glad to see it added to the table though.
I can't say that I've ever seen the symbol in R1C1

H.
edit: I went through the Users Manual and it is pretty much silent on what the symbols mean, not even a image of the dialog. :shock:
Then I thought I'd use the Windows Character Map and see if, by some stroke of luck, they had named the symbols there. Again nothing:

I couldn't find a definition for the symbol in R1C2 either. And, with just a quick look at the GDT dialog it looks like they are missing some symbols there. I'll have to take some more time to really check those out though.

H.

Attachments

• alibresymbols.jpg
    alibresymbols.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 137

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
According to the link in Bernards' post above a tangent plane is a circle with an upper case T in it. I submitted an incident report with Alibre to see if they know. (why shouldn't they?) I didn't see it come up as an option for the GDT Feature Control Frame or Datum. And I didn't see it in the weld symbol generator either.
Maybe it's just some Egyptian hieroglyphic that got slipped in by mistake. :lol:

H.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
...or it is a variant of in relation to :lol:

But also in Inventor ...

Attachments

• Symbol.jpg
    Symbol.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,228

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Well this is a new one for me...I found it is used in a SolidWorks dimension text modify dialog, it means "Flattened Length". :shock: Who would have quessed?
I have no clue as to where it would be used. Maybe on duct work sheet metal drawings?

H.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
HaroldL - Well I learn something new every day. Flattened length, I wonder how common that symbol is?
That looks like a good explanation. Will you share the results from the incident report with us please?

As far as the symbol R4C1,I guess I should have tried to insert it in a line of text. It is clearly
centerline if you zoom in on it. It's just too small to be clear on my screen @ 1680x1050 in the
symbol popup panel.

Thanks to all for playing "Name That Symbol" :lol:

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
And now for extra credit: What CAD symbols can you generate with Altkey codes? :lol:

Diameter, ø (Alt+0248)
Degrees, ° (Alt+0176)
Plus/Minus, ± (Alt+0177)

I used to know a few more offhand...

Max

Administrator
Staff member
The mysterious symbol represents "flattened length" or "unbent length". It is used in some standards and was requested by an international reseller. It is used in Sheetmetal.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Max said:
The mysterious symbol represents "flattened length" or "unbent length". It is used in some standards and was requested by an international reseller. It is used in Sheetmetal.
Thanks Max,
That's interesting...there were a couple of guesses that it had something to do with sheet metal. (looks like Tim got it first though.)

Do you have any information about which specific standard/standards it is used in? Given that "sheet metal" has broad spectrum of uses, could it be HVAC? I've been running Google pretty heavy and have found no reference to the symbol at all. :shock:

H.