What's new

Alibre Version 12 not working on Windows 10

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Hi all,

Old user here (in fact one of the originals and an old Alibre Consultant) that has moved on to other things in life. I stopped my version at 12 with Alibre. I have the Expert version. I had it working on Windows 7, and thought it was working on Windows 10, but now does not work. I have tried running as Administrator and every compatibility option with no luck. I think that a Windows update may have messed up something.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, especially if I can figure out how to run it on this PC again. I am not ready to pick up and renew my version yet as I don't have enough use for it other than home and hobby use. I have closed my side design business (Candoris Mechanical Part Designs) several years ago.

Regards,

John

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm amazed that you had version 12 working on Win7, let alone Win 10.

Do you get any messages at all, or does it simply refuse to run?

Your comment about Windows updates does raise an interesting question about older programs running on Win10 - if Microsoft continually updates Win10 and doesn't retire it, will compatibility with old programs be maintained? I can't see that happening indefinitely, so must we all expect old programs to randomly cease functioning as time goes on?

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
It is listed as compatible up to Windows 7 on the support site, and it works fine with 7.

On Windows 10, everything is installed. When I click to run, it simply does nothing (at least nothing is visual on the screen).

I am pretty sure my fix will be to go back to 7, either by reverting back or by using the other PCs.

Hope someone comments with a good idea as I still would like to get it to run on 10.

EDIT: By the way, I am not 100 percent sure I had it running on 10, but I thought it was when I first installed it on 10. Windows 10 just updates on its own. I am not really liking 10.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
jwknecht said:
It is listed as compatible up to Windows 7 on the support site, and it works fine with 7.

OK - looks like I mis-remembered when Win7 compatibility came in. Apologies for that.

If you have Win10 Pro, that includes built in capability to run virtual machines which might be an option.

There was an issue like you describe some while back, I seem to recall the fix was to 'Run as Administrator' once - but sounds like you tried that. Have you tried uninstalling, cleaning registry (CCleaner), re-booting and re-installing?

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Thanks for the suggestion about uninstalling and cleaning registry. Tried it with no better luck. I don't think a virtual machine is my best option. I will give up on this pc and revert to Windows 7 on another PC. My son actually has a gaming laptop he is not using anymore that I will load Alibre version 12 on (if he lets me). I told him I will teach him how to design as well (if he wants to).

terryzilla

I see I am a little bit of topic since I a using version 16 and not 12.

I had to redo my computer and I updated from Windows 7 to 10. I was a bit worried since my subscription for both CAD and CAM are both expired. I had no problem getting Geomagic Design going other that finding me license key. The VisualCAM with Alibre was a bit harder. I couldn't get my registration keys working. Finally I figured out I didn't have the drivers for the Sentinel dongle installed. For my system they came from the AlbreCAM disc. As I updated to different versions of VisualCAM they came along with the ride. As a new system they didn't exist and driver update couldn't find new ones.

Anyway I'm back in business. I was really concerned especially since VisualCAM will no longer be updated (or maybe be supported at all?)

I hope this will help those moving from 7 to 10.

Terry