What's new

Alibre vs Creo

mstevens

Other than the obvious cost differences, anyone have any insights as on Creo Parametric? I am sure there are some in this forum that have used Creo that could give a brief summary of their experiences with it.

Thanks

swertel

Alibre Super User
As far as modelers go, I'd rather use Solid Edge, Solidworks, or Inventor.
Considering that Alibre finds itself compared to the above 3 also should tell you plenty.

Doing a feature-by-feature comparison is foolhardy and wasteful. Each of the 5 systems have their unique ways of doing things, some better than others in certain aspects, none definitively better than any other. It really comes down to what your primary product looks like (sheet metal, complex surfaces, prismatic parts, large assemblies, weldments, etc.) and the method in which you can efficiently work with the system. Don't overlook file and data management.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Yes.

I both love and fear Linux.

But Windows I don't trust. Like Facebook and Google. And since I am running a nine year old OS... well... tick tock...

Please understand that, were I to post what I really think of Creo I would likely to be "banned" for unacceptably foul language. After having spent a significant period of time learning how to "turn off" the "Design Intent Manager," I ended up rebuilding a 40,000+ Part Installation to make a presentation at DoD in Washington, DC a few years ago. It "decided" which "Constraints" I must have "intended" to use (and guessed wrong! It took me more than 36 hours to construct the "Installation" for the Final Design Review.

VoltsAndBolts

I used Pro Engineer and CREO 2 for a couple of years, and while it is very powerful CAD it will mess your head up because it works ass backwards from most CAD. I would have to say for myself if not Alibre then Solidworks.

Last edited:

Alexander

I've never used Creo, Catia, Pro E or Solidworks. Only Alibre, Solid Edge and Inventor.
Solid Edge is powerful and has Sychronous Technology which is super fast.

Out of the three my preferred tool to get the job done is Alibre without doubt.

mstevens

Thanks for all the responses. Here is why I posed my question.

I own Alibre, I also own a Creo license. I am not a mechanical designer by any stretch of the imagination. But for personal reasons, I own licenses. Since I only dabble in mechanical design I wanted comments from those who do this or have done this and have used both packages.

PTC is moving to subscription only as of Jan 1, 2018. I am on the fence about updating my current license to Creo 4.0. I have done some online Creo training so the package does not seem so backwards to me but again I don't do "this."

On the Alibre note, I paid for several years of maintenance long before they were sold. But during the Geomagic years I got nothing for that maintenance as did, I am sure, many others. I don't know how long I will stay in the Alibre camp considering I paid for something but got nothing for some of those years.

So, owning both products I am thinking about just paying for one of them moving forward; but do I really loose so much in functionality to stay with Alibre versus Creo. I have done very small parts and assemblies in Creo; I have not in Alibre, although I've owned my Alibre license longer.

I've tried Turbocad and own a license of it as well but its lack of parametric modeling deters me from using it. Rhino 3d seems to be very good as well but again no parametric modeling. I don't understand modeling without parametrics. It seems to me if you take the time to model something you would want the ability to easily adjust the model; this is often impossible without parametric modeling. I digress.

I was just interested to hear opinions about Creo vs Alibre from those who have ACTUALLY used both.

Thanks.

Seal1966

I have Inventor, and it came time I needed a second seat. They move to subscription as well, and it $2500.00 per year for the second seat. And the other problem I have with subscription is, if you decide to quit your subscription, your software will quit working at the end, and anything that you design is basically gone. They are counting on keeping you in bed with them, or lose it all.

If I was you, I would stay with Alibre.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Which one you go for is ultimately your choice. Personally I'd steer clear of Creo but thats just me. Now you say they're going subscription so that seals its fate as far as I'm concerned.

mstevens -- As somebody who is required to "stay current" with SolidWorks, SelidEdge, CREO, and Catia (though I am falling behind with Catia) I can state firmly that, with a couple of "operational exceptions" that favor SolidEdge, Akibre Design is the tool I prefer to use for my work! Should anybody hear me rant as to the things that need to be polished & perfected within Alibre Design, they can be excused for concluding that I hate Alibre Design as I do tend to "rant on" on these subjects. However, with very few exceptions, Alibre Design is the toolset I reach for first.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
It's been years since I used Solidworks or Inventor and I've never used Creo - so I'll refrain from any comparisons of the features.

What I can comment on is that your Alibre Design install will still work past your maintenance expiration. Per their policy:
  • Buy a license you own, not rent
You won't get updates or technical support (except maybe license issues), but it will still work. There is a lot of good to be said about that.

Alexander

I have Inventor, and it came time I needed a second seat. They move to subscription as well, and it $2500.00 per year for the second seat. And the other problem I have with subscription is, if you decide to quit your subscription, your software will quit working at the end, and anything that you design is basically gone. They are counting on keeping you in bed with them, or lose it all.

If I was you, I would stay with Alibre.

Inventor is eventually going to be phased out and replaced with Fusion 360 which now has sheet metal functionality I believe.
I invested in Inventor (product design suite) and totally regret it now and refuse to use it unless requested by a client.
A red mist descends when anyone even mentions Autodesk:mad:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Inventor is eventually going to be phased out and replaced with Fusion 360 which now has sheet metal functionality I believe.
I invested in Inventor (product design suite) and totally regret it now and refuse to use it unless requested by a client.
A red mist descends when anyone even mentions Autodesk:mad:
Autodesk is a real-life Cerberus. When you hear the name Autodesk... flee!

Markaj

Autodesk is a real-life Cerberus. When you hear the name Autodesk... flee!
True - I've always found working with Inventor or AutoCad hard work (both being my day job for the last 3 years). I feel there is something 'anti intuitive' about their products compared with others I've used. They also seem to require twice as many mouse clicks to perform a similar task - & if you've got a job to do quickly, clicks cost time & money.

True - I've always found working with Inventor or AutoCad hard work (both being my day job for the last 3 years). I feel there is something 'anti intuitive' about their products compared with others I've used. They also seem to require twice as many mouse clicks to perform a similar task - & if you've got a job to do quickly, clicks cost time & money.
I can tell you for positive that John Walker made sure that none of his AutoCAD team had any background in drafting or project documentation because, per his constant harping, they were supposed to "Invent an entirely new means of conveying design intwent."

Markaj

I can tell you for positive that John Walker made sure that none of his AutoCAD team had any background in drafting or project documentation because, per his constant harping, they were supposed to "Invent an entirely new means of conveying design intwent."
Ah - well that explains a lot! Autocad has the feel that it was designed by a huge team, none of whom talked to any of the others (let alone the users).
It's unfortunate that it became the industry standard - I've never found it to be an enjoyable tool to use.