What's new

AlibreCAM 4th Axis Engraving?

KMoffett

Has anyone done this successfully? I'm looking to put scale (1cm, 5cm, 10cm) lines and numbers along the length of a cylinder. I seem to be able to get the CAM to look and simulate correctly but not on the mill. I'll try any suggestions.

Ken

Alibre Design Expert 2017.1.2 64-bit Build 18701
AlibreCAM 2017 6.0.0.46
Milltronics VKM4 CNC mill w/ 8200B Controller w/ Troyke DL 6.6B Table

fabcadmz

Is the problem just with 4th axis engraving or are all 4th axis MOps not working? I have not done any 4th axis CAM in a long time but my guess is, if it simulates in CAM correctly then the problem could be the post processor. If so, maybe Mecsoft could help you out there. I am not familiar with that control and without seeing the program I really cant pinpoint what the problem is.
Just for the record, I'm am not an expert on 4th axis stuff. :)

KMoffett

I did contact Mecsoft, and they have been helpful. Issues with Alibre mm to CAM mm. Not automatic. Modified post to one mm and one in. 4th axis engraving is a 3D function. Looks good in simulation. But in actuality there are thousands of small Z, X, and A sequential moves. On the, mill it's painful. Not like you see in simulation or 4th axis milling videos. Also get A axis errors, which may be a mill issue. Contracted Milltronics on that. Really, what I wanted was just an X/Y swap to X/A. Yesterday I imported the .nc post file to CNCWrapper, and that looks more of what I wanted. Not ready the engrave stock yet, but getting close. Think A axis errors may have due with feed rate...or not.

Ken

KMoffett

After banging my head against the software for the last three weeks (not a rush job), Milltronics and I came the the same conclusion. The installed settings for the Rapid Velocity and Maximum Acceleration for the A axis were way too high.
A axis Rapid Velocity 6000 > 2000
A axis Maximum Acceleration 250 > 175
Now it works.

Ken