What's new

AlibreScript Hints and Tips

ajayre

Alibre Super User
Hi all.

Is anyone aware of whether it is possible to dock a scripting window inside the design area?

Do you mean a scripting editor on it's own? No. The whole AlibreScript UI has to remain together with the exception of being able to 'pop-out' scripting editors.

Andy

simonb65

Alibre Super User
When its launched (in 2018.1.1) it docks at the bottom of the design window. I must say that I would prefer if this could be changed by the user as my preference would be to dock to the right. As it would have less impact on the 3d design view and would allow me to see more lines of script code. Also the nature of short lengths of script lines is more suited to a tall/narrow window pane than short and very, very wide (27" monitor!!).

It just needs the same docking flexibility in the main Alibre framework (i.e. Design Exploer, Alibre Script, etc) as AlibreScript has with its child windows.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Andy (@ajayre), It would be good to have the Load, Save, Save As, Run and Stop, buttons on the individual Script windows too (maybe a small menu bar), as if you open a number of scripts, the button on the Ribbon Bar doesn't clearly indicate which script will be run ... I know they are related to the script window that has focus, but that isn't obvious without trial and error!
Individual buttons could then be enabled/disable (i.e. Save, Run and Stop) depending on the edit/modify status of that individual script. With the Run/Stop buttons being disabled if another script in in the process of being run.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
When its launched (in 2018.1.1) it docks at the bottom of the design window. I must say that I would prefer if this could be changed by the user as my preference would be to dock to the right. As it would have less impact on the 3d design view and would allow me to see more lines of script code. Also the nature of short lengths of script lines is more suited to a tall/narrow window pane than short and very, very wide (27" monitor!!).
Just found the option to dock Left, Bottom Right in the AlibreScript Options !!! Changing it doesn't change the position though without closing and re-launching AlibreScript and I still standby my other comment that docking should be consistent throughout the Alibre Framework (an improvement for Alibre LLC as I know Add-ons are limited in their UI interaction capabilities with the main framework at present).

simonb65

Alibre Super User
... Whilst the main AlibreScript Options save the overall dock location, It doesn't save the child dock position/state if you close and reopen AlibreScript! ... that is very frustrating :-(

ajayre

Alibre Super User
... Whilst the main AlibreScript Options save the overall dock location, It doesn't save the child dock position/state if you close and reopen AlibreScript! ... that is very frustrating :-(

It does for me. Do you mean if you close the part and open a new part?

The current layout of the AlibreScript window is stored in the part/assembly file. What isn't currently stored is the default layout for a new part/assembly file. Is that what you mean?

Andy

simonb65

Alibre Super User
It does for me. Do you mean if you close the part and open a new part?

The current layout of the AlibreScript window is stored in the part/assembly file. What isn't currently stored is the default layout for a new part/assembly file. Is that what you mean?
It is when I open another part! I use scripts as an extention to the available builtin geometry functions, so I expected the Sripting to be Global/Application wide and not tied to a Part or Assembly! That doesn't seem to make any sense to do it that way, as once the script has run ... its produced the result in the Part/Assembly, which is reflected in the geometry and feature tree.
What was the logical rationale behind putting the settings/script in the Part/Assembly files???