What's new

Align tangentially not according to the manual

I'd like to get a line tangential to the circles. According to the manual, I should click the constraint tangential, and then the first feature which remains at its location, then the second, which moves.
However, the circle is not even selectable. On the picture all items are in red, even though the circles are actually black and defined. When I go to the activate sketch first, I'm asked whether edit the selected or create a new feature. So the sketch mode is less likely. I also tried to select both, the line and the circle and then click the constraint-align tangential to no avail. Yes, all features are in one plane.

Attachments

• circles.png
    circles.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 23

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Can you upload the file your working on?

Without it, the best I can do is to create something that looks the same, then test it. When I do that, my tangent constraints are working fine.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps show more of the Alibre screen in your image. From your description it isn't clear if you are actually in sketch mode or not.

As Ken226 mentioned, the file you shared is empty...

Ok. In non-sketch mode .. select : apply tangent between two features., then click the circle.
Then : The circle is highlighted black, the sketch mode is set to on, and the line vanishes.
I press generate to last feature, the line re-appears, and the sketch mode is gone.

Another try. Non-sketch mode. I select the circle, and then shiftclick the line, so both are selected. Then press apply tangential constraint .. and bot vanish.. Generate to last feature brings them back - nothing is done.

Attachments

• Eierbecher2.AD_PRT
    242 KB · Views: 2

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You need to have the line and the circles in the same sketch. Unless you use Project to Sketch but that won't constrain the original geometry.

1688592128326.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Ok. In non-sketch mode .. select : apply tangent between two features., then click the circle.
Then : The circle is highlighted black, the sketch mode is set to on, and the line vanishes.
I press generate to last feature, the line re-appears, and the sketch mode is gone.

Another try. Non-sketch mode. I select the circle, and then shiftclick the line, so both are selected. Then press apply tangential constraint .. and bot vanish.. Generate to last feature brings them back - nothing is done.
1) You need to be in an ACTIVE 2d sketch!

2) You need to watch a tutorial video on how tangential constrains are used and applied ... https://www.alibre.com/reference-videos-part-sketching-constraints/

> You need to have the line and the circles in the same sketch. Unless you use Project to Sketch but that won't constrain the original geometry.

Thanks a lot Harold. Is there a way to combine multiple sketches into one then ?

And... when doing lines tangetial to two circles, there are four possibilities. Can they be stepped through ? Or shall I discard an place a new line ?

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Activate one of the sketches, then use the "project to sketch" button to project the geometry from the other sketches onto the current sketch.

Within the "project to sketch" options box, select the option to maintain the current sketch figure type.

After which, you can delete the other sketches.