What's new

Aligning Part between Non-Aligned Holes

wsimonton

I am working on a Model of a Boiler for which I have the 1919 drawings. The drawing shows the location of the Staybolts in the Boiler Shell and the Firebox. Some align and some do not. Due the shape of the Firebox a LOT of the Staybolts do not align and simply doing one and doing a Component Pattern will not work. What I want to do is be able to align between two non-aligned holes. If I can do that I can create a axis to align on but doing each one with Points?, using a Boolean Operation to create aligned holes? Staybolt Section.jpg

Any methods or work-arounds occur to anyone? I was going to attach a Staybolt Jig I have used to create some of the Staybolts along the side of the Firebox but it was to large 1.8 MB PKG, and a pdf which illustrates the issue but due to the shape of the Firebox, inserting them one at time at a approximate position will be very time consuming. Any short cuts or pointers by the Experts/Experten out will be appreciated.

The Staybolt Jig may be downloaded from https://s3.amazonaws.com/SIMONTON/Staybolt+Jig+#2.AD_PKG

If Alibre permits me to attach this Link!

Attachments

• Staybolt Section.pdf
    184.7 KB · Views: 10

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Do you have points and or axes applied to the holes at the part level? If you do and can Show Reference Geometry, does that give you the features needed to align the stay bolts?

I'm thinking that if the holes in the part had Points then you could mate the axis of the stay bolts to the points and a coincident of tangent to mate the head to the surface.

And yeah, doing them one at a time is time consuming.

BTW, there is something wrong with the link you posted.

Last edited: