What's new

Altering BOM Quatities

I've got an assembly design that will need to be shimmed during assembly. Not knowing exactly how many shims will be needed I inserted one shim into the assembly model so the part ID would appear in the BoM. I'd like to change the quantity to AR (as required) but the software refuses to accept a non-numeric entry. Is there some way around this? Is it possible to "explode" the BoM on the drawing so it looses it's connectivity to the BoM file and then edit items?

Thanks,
Paul_F

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You can edit the BoM - Insert an extra Custom Column, copy across the numbers manually (can't copy paste unfortunately), but change to text where needed. This overcomes the 'please type a valid number' problem on closing the file.

Delete the original quantity column (you can insert it again easily if you need to update the numbers after a design change).

This method would be a pain if the number of parts is large. An 'override' function would be handy.

DavidJ said:
You can edit the BoM - Insert an extra Custom Column, copy across the numbers manually (can't copy paste unfortunately), but change to text where needed. This overcomes the 'please type a valid number' problem on closing the file.

Delete the original quantity column (you can insert it again easily if you need to update the numbers after a design change).

This method would be a pain if the number of parts is large. An 'override' function would be handy.

The assembly only has a dozen or so parts so this should be a viable work-around.
An Override feature would be a good addition to AD.

Thanks Much,
Paul_F

Leigh

DavidJ said:
You can edit the BoM - Insert an extra Custom Column...
Why does every basic operation on the BoM require editing it and inserting a Custom Column?

The people who designed this certainly have an extremely narrow definition of what a BoM is.

- Leigh

M00m137

I'm still moaning about this. Paints, lubricants, cables, ropes, adhesives (and shims too, obviously)... WHY can't I edit the quantities without dumping the live link to the model for everything else? Come on, guys. I've posted it as a change request, but I don't think anyone ever looks at that system.

Creo has/had a similar problem, but at least in Creo I could do the override programmatically, which meant I was still linking everything else to the CAD model.