What's new

Alternative renderers

Szumi

I've played with this keyshot web thing that comes with expert. Not very impressive and the upgrade, well forget about that price point.

Okay, what are the other options? Payware, freeware, begware, open source?

Thanks,

Szumi

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
Some folks are working with Simlab composer. I have dnloaded the free version and played around with it briefly.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10941

Reaad the opinions in this thread and others. It's much less pretentiously priced thatn Key/hypershot

impulse

Giecon.nl

I would recommend Simlab also. There is no resolution limit as far as I know and the price is more than reasonable. Bought V2.0 at the introduction price of around 125euros (wil be 250 normally)
It stil has some flaws but the end result (the rendered output) is more than fine. There are some improvements on the way and I've read on there forum that V2.1 wil be free for the licensed users...
Keyshot is way overpriced imho...

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
I would also recommend Simlab. It is easy and straight forward to use with a Windows standard type interface. The STEP AP214 format works great to render faces, and the 3DPDF output from Alibre works fine if you only need to render entire parts with a texture. The 3D PDF retains the tree structure of the Alibre model better than the STEP 214, but you can rebuild the structure inside of Simlab. Look over the Simlab thread for tips on how to use Simlab.

I have been looking at rendering software for Alibre for many years and not found many acceptable alternatives. Some people are happy with Maxell Render, and some have even had good luck with the free Blender render package. However, most rendering packages are very different from your standard windows interface and require a bit of a learning curve to get up to speed.

Another alternative is Adobe Acrobat Extended with the 3D toolkit for about $699 retail. It uses the same material application method to parts (not faces). I found it harder to learn, but there are some free videos on the net which now makes that easier. You can create textured 3D PDF files, and do renderings as well. Hopefully Acrobat 10 will contain the ability to texture faces as well (same as the Deep Exploration 6.1 product which has been re-branded as the 3D Toolkit), but it is still in beta testing. Unfortunately, the download demo from Adobe does not include the 3D Toolkit capability so there is no way to test if this option will work to your satisfaction. You can download the Deep Exploration 6.1 30 day demo, but that product is now even more ridiculously priced.

I also own NuGraf for rendering, but there is currently a problem getting files to that software now that the SketchUp exporter is no longer supported. The STEP translator package does not work very well with the Alibre exported STEP formats.

The biggest problem with any rendering software is to get the Alibre model into the rendering package, as renderers tend to use surface models rather than solids. Retaining the tree structure is even more difficult with the formats commonly used by renderers.

My favorites are Adobe Acrobat 3D toolkit, and Simlab.

spiked

http://www.spiked3.com/

Click through to the alibre plugins, and then the collada exporter.

You can export a part or assembly from Alibre design, import as a collada file into blender 2.49. Add lights and tweak materials in a pretty robust modeling and animation environment with a huge online community for examples and help, and do decent renders (with motion if you put the time into it). You can also use a blender plugin called luxrender which has an incredible materials database and photo realistic rendering. It takes a little more effort and learning than some of the other packages, but it makes up for it in price and better quality output - it is all free by the way.

neilr

spiked I got the alibre to collada file but it is just 2 .dll files with no info on what to do with them.....

Szumi

neilr said:
spiked I got the alibre to collada file but it is just 2 .dll files with no info on what to do with them.....

You should have 3 files, one is an executable. You will have to unzip them. You will also need microsoft net framework 4.x . That requires XP SP3 or newer to install.

Then you run the executable. I used the session option to get Spiked's program to grab an open assembly.

Btw, Spiked, you are awesome! I managed to get a .dae file that blender opened just fine. Now I got to learn Blender.

Thank you !

Szumi

neilr

Yes I contacted him and he fixed the issue now I have all three and it installed just fine. Thanks Spiked :)

Learning blender that is going to take me a little time I think, but it will be worth it.

tmay

Check out Octane Render

It is an unbiased renderer (like Maxwell), probably about as difficult, but its main claim to fame is that it is a low cost CPU/GPU renderer. Basically, it will use any combination of CPU threads, and GPU cores (nvidia only for now) on multiple cards. It appears to have excellent performance.

http://www.refractivesoftware.com/

I believe that Bunkspeed is going in a similar direction, and I would guess that most renderers will support GPU hardware in the near future.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
The markting company "Bunkspeed" used: http://www.mentalimages.com/products/iray.html
in in their ...coming soon...product: "Shot"

Octane, can open/import: *.obj files, which could cause a problem at the moment,
because Alibre can not export: *. obj files.

But no problem, you can use "SimLab Composer" to convert the models from STEP... to *. obj.

GPU vs CPU?
Currently I prefer CPU.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
ralf3 said:
Octane, can open/import: *.obj files, which could cause a problem at the moment,
Is *.obj Export coming in AD 2011? I seem to remember Max mentioning it was going to be added sometime...?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
MilesH said:
ralf3 said:
Is *.obj Export coming in AD 2011? I seem to remember Max mentioning it was going to be added sometime...?

Not sure what he's saying or not.
We sent our *. obj export tool for V11.2...no answer to this day.
I think he is very busy...

neilr

I was just using the trial so I had to import the files and then rename them in anim8tor befor I could do the next and in the trial it only saves them as default.obj. Now I am learning blender and that should cut down on that kind of swaping around.

I'm not cheap just can only do what I can afford.... :)

spiked

neilr said:
Yes I contacted him and he fixed the issue now I have all three and it installed just fine. Thanks Spiked :)

Learning blender that is going to take me a little time I think, but it will be worth it.

Sorry about the missing file, glad its working for you guys now. Blender is pretty cool. I have not lost hope that I can get the constraint exports working from alibre to blender making animation a lot easier.

This is something I am playing with from Alibre (imported piece by piece from solid works files) to blender;

medium.jpg

Got some more work to do, but I'm getting there. This is the test for the constraint exporting :)

Sturmer

Ok as i sadly found out , non of the alternative solutions for me does not work...cant find Sketch-up export plug-in, and cant find blender export plug-in...as both packages have a decent renderer and im not afraid of learning curve to have at list usable semi photo-realistic renders for 0$ ...Any one?As i know that Blender does the job really great!- The question is does any of you have links to working free export plug-ins?

neilr

Sturmer did you try the spiked3d method? It converts an alibre exported file to collada witch can then be imported into blender. the link is further up on this thread.