What's new

Am I building threads right? Also do you have a link to thread info that you use?

Tapap

So im wanting to make correct threads. My example is 5/16-18 threads. what ive been doing I found information on inner and outer thread diameter for the bolt. I set the outer circle to 0.3113". my inner dia is 0.2454". for a small reference i do (0.3113-0.2452)/2=0.03305" This tells me how deep the thread is from the top. The spacing I just figured its 18 tpi so i made a line thats 1/18". for the helix i did 1/18 and rounded up to 0.056" because if i just did 1/18 it wouldnt work

can you tell me what you think of this file?

also here is here I got my info from, do you have something better?

https://amesweb.info/Screws/unc-thread-chart.aspx

Attachments

• thread test.AD_PRT
    597 KB · Views: 4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Here is a link to a crib sheet for creating threads that I put in the Resources section. That may help or at least give another method for thread creation.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
The spacing I just figured its 18 tpi so i made a line thats 1/18". for the helix i did 1/18 and rounded up to 0.056" because if i just did 1/18 it wouldnt work
I've never cared to look into why (at least beyond "too many numbers flying around") but yeah, when doing helixes Alibre doesn't seem to like it if the helix pitch is the same as the width of your Sketch. I'm sure I've made it work before so there is a way, but I don't do helical features enough to warrant investigating it.

Only thing I'd suggest is if you're going to fudge something, fudge the Sketch rather than the helical feature pitch. IMHO, better the thread form be slightly off than the pitch of the thread you're trying to make. Were it being made into an actual part based on your model, that difference in pitch could theoretically lead to problems if the part being threaded is long enough.

Recently pulled most of my hair out over trying to match an imported metric part that had a 1.1mm thread pitch that was short enough that it easily fit my 1mm thread gage.

Last edited:

Tapap

Here is a link to a crib sheet for creating threads that I put in the Resources section. That may help or at least give another method for thread creation.

thanks that made a lot of sense.

Tapap

I've never cared to look into why (at least beyond "too many numbers flying around") but yeah, when doing helixes Alibre doesn't seem to like it if the helix pitch is the same as the width of your Sketch. I'm sure I've made it work before so there is a way, but I don't do helical features enough to warrant investigating it.

Only thing I'd suggest is if you're going to fudge something, fudge the Sketch rather than the helical feature pitch. IMHO, better the thread form be slightly off than the pitch of the thread you're trying to make. Were it being made into an actual part based on your model, that difference in pitch could theoretically lead to problems if the part being threaded is long enough.

Recently pulled most of my hair out over trying to match an imported metric part that had a 1.1mm thread pitch that was short enough that it easily fit my 1mm thread gage.
thanks for the tip. yea i was tweaking the pitch. i dropped the thread size by 0.001 and left the pitch alone so now its smooth as butter

Tapap

i just found this in C:\ProgramData\Alibre Design\System Files\Threads

alibre continues to surprise me. im going to try to build a thread generator that will model the threads this summer with a script. or at the least make a selection box and itll draw the thread based on your selection and you just constrain it somewhere

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Unfortunately, helical boss and cut are not yet available in AlibreScript, neither is circular or rectangular pattern.