What's new

An update on V10...

gregmilliken

An update on V10...

Hi All,

I wanted to respond to some of the requests for a status on V10, both what we’re planning on including and also the timing of the release.

First, the top priority for V10 is based directly on user feedback. This was to significantly improve performance in 2D, along with improving memory usage and management which will have a direct impact on stability and performance.

One of the key requests by customers has been to improve 2D drawing performance, which is particularly crucial when working with assembly drawings. One of the key performance bottlenecks has been view projection which is performed using component technology we license. To address this, in V10 we have added a new view projection mode we call Fast Hidden Line, or FHL mode. The original mode we refer to as Precise Hidden Line or PHL. FHL utilizes the DirectX display engine and offers dramatic improvements in performance in a number of key use cases. The goal being to quickly generate 2D view projections to allow much more efficient and responsive creation of 2D drawings.

Some of our performance testing of V10 versus V9.2 shows the following:

View Creation Improvements:
- FHL view creation is about 4X faster than V9.2, and for certain drawings up to 10X faster
- PHL view creation in V10 is about 35% faster as compared to V9.2 PHL
- Multiple FHL views can be created in one step faster and with lower memory (25%) footprint

As one might conclude by the names, FHL trades off some view precision for speed and improved memory consumption. We believe you will find that this precision is not significant when creating your drawings, but the productivity gained when creating them – particularly when recreating views after a model edit -- will be extremely significant. In FHL mode dimensions are still generated directly from the precise underlying model as well so they are exact. When it is time to print or plot a drawing at high resolution, one can simply generate the PHL equivalent in one step.

In addition to dramatic improvements in view creation, we have made significant improvements in other areas of 2D detailing, including the following:

General Detailing Performance Improvements:
- Various detailing tools like placing dimensions/text/annotations are far more responsive; the larger the drawing and the more hidden lines, the greater the improvement.
- Dragging dimensions and annotations for repositioning (common during detailing) are also much more responsive. There is a major improvement over V9.2 for large drawings, in particular when hidden lines are turned on.
- Performance improvements and memory leak fixes in drawing display reduce time and memory footprint during drawing creation; the more complex the drawing the more improvement. On average, in V10 equivalent drawing workflows can be completed in half the time with only about 65% of the memory consumed in V9.2.
- Entering and exiting sketch mode is noticeably faster.
- Drawings now save information about part threads, holes, etc., eliminating the need to open part files while opening drawing files (also during view creation, see below). For large complex drawings saved in V10 the reduction in open time is significant - roughly 30 to 40%.
- Partial View creation is significantly faster in V10 – taking about half the time compared to V9.2. Detail and Section View creation are also about 25% faster.

Other improvements in 2D:
- Drawing views update after a model edit without having to close and reopen drawings
- Positioning of Detail View Labels has been enhanced

Productivity and Ease of Use -- things that “make you faster” other than pure performance:

(see next post for the rest!)

gregmilliken

An update on V10....(continued)

Productivity and Ease of Use -- things that “make you faster” other than pure performance:
- Direct Editing providing the ability to quickly edit/simplify models imported from other systems (or generate models from scratch) using SketchUp-like features including a Push-Pull tool, Move Pocket/Boss, Remove Pocket/Boss/Fillet, Resize Pocket/Boss.
- Doubleclick on a feature to edit the sketch
- Multiple sketches can be created on multiple planes without leaving sketch mode
- Automatically analyze sketches on exiting sketch mode
- Overlay based UI – used in Sketching and Direct Editing
- Enhanced mouse tool tip capability -- used in Sketching and Direct Editing

Miscellaneous:
- Repository Search – yes, you heard right.
- Topology patterning –patterning of “inferred features” from collections of faces
- AutoSave/Retrieve
- Migration to ACIS R16 and to latest versions of HLM, 2D and 3D DCM

Also, I want to clarify some of the discussions related to our effort to transition Alibre Design from the Java platform to .NET. This effort consists of two components, the Alibre Design server which manages online usage, Repository sharing and Team Design, and the Alibre Design client that is essentially the CAD application you install and use on your local computer. The two are coupled and by necessity the server must be .NET before or at the same time that the client is .NET. a Java-based client can connect to the .NET server, whereas a .NET client cannot connect to the Java-based server. As a result, we are “porting” the server component to .NET first and this is the element of the product that will be .NET when V10 launches. This will deliver improvements in stability, as well as the ability to apply more advanced development tools to aid in further tuning and optimization, so our hope is that the server issues affecting aspects of the product related to working online, such as publishing and sharing of Repositories, will be improved. We then immediately follow with the port of the Alibre Design client to .NET which will complete the transition. The client port will be finished some time after V10 but I cannot provide an exact delivery date.

Alibre Design 10 is planned for launch in early August, so we’re not far away.

As for V11 and beyond, our plan is to continue aggressively focusing on core production CAD use, including further improvements in 2D, assembly performance, general productivity/user interface, and sheet metal. While I know there are lots of things people have asked for that won’t make it into V10, and in some recent releases we've done some things I felt were important for establishing partners and addressing new users (like motion, 3D PDF, SketchUp support, etc.) our goal is to stay very focused on listening to our customers and hammering on production CAD use. 2D is going to get very tight and performance and memory management are going to keep improving.

I hope this provides the feedback on our plans and priorities that many of you have been asking for.

indesign

Alibre Super User

Now there are some things I can't wait to try out! :D
And some others I guess I will have to see to grasp what all they can do(unless we start getting some more detail before the release). I just got to see some of these in action!

- Direct Editing providing the ability to quickly edit/simplify models imported from other systems (or generate models from scratch) using SketchUp-like features including a Push-Pull tool, Move Pocket/Boss, Remove Pocket/Boss/Fillet, Resize Pocket/Boss.
- Multiple sketches can be created on multiple planes without leaving sketch mode
- Generic Overlay based UI – used in Sketching and Direct Editing for V10

Ralf

Alibre Super User

Hello Greg,

This are very good news, Alibre makes pressure in the market. I like this. :!:

Regards Ralf

scarr

Thanks Greg for the indepth update. I think were all familiar with the term 'constant quality improvement' as applied to our workday lives. Alibre is a company and a collection of people who are dedicated to, and an embodiment of that principle. Ever since I came on board three years ago I can honestly say that with every version roll Alibre has delivered the 'goods', and more. Adobe 3D, Free Dimension, Google Sketch-Up are all prime examples of going above and beyond. You folks and Alibre are the best, and I can't wait to get my paws on V10. Thanks again Greg for giving us a very exciting heads up on what's coming.

warburton1

In Canada we have a commercial for the lottery, called "whats your X million $ happy dance".

Searchable Repositories - yes!!!!!! Happy Dance here I come!!!! :lol:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

Sounds good! - Could you please clarify what so many percent faster, or so many times faster actually means? (i.e. how is it measured / defined).

Speed claims for software are sometimes misleading - I just want to be sure I'm not building up the wrong expectation, because I interpret (say) 4 times faster differently than the people who generated the numbers.

indesign

Alibre Super User

A little something else from an email on V10:

"Blazing 2D Performance

New “Fast Views” project your models to 2D up to
10 times faster.
More responsive with less memory consumption.
Fully Integrated CAM

Alibre CAM, the new fully integrated CAM solution, is the easiest way to go from design to machined part.
Productivity Boosters

New direct editing lets you intuitively click and drag geometry to where you want it, freeform or precisely. "

mub

pure advertising... :roll:
anyway - my premium reseller said: "i don't tell you anything about until you saw it, i want to surprise you..."
These words let me assume that V10 will surprise everyone of us... 8)

Greets...

scarr

Actually I get these offers all the time and I own Expert. Yes there was an e-mail - 1/2 off Expert with a free upgrade to V10 - some of the additional functionalities in V10 look pretty darned impressive - plus they're upgrading the 3D kernel to ASCI R16 with the latest versions of HLM, and 2D/3D DCM. Sweet!

indesign

Alibre Super User

I get 4 emails!!

I have two copies of Xpress and Expert too. I also get the email for my boss as I registered him a copy of Xpress.