What's new

Angled Hole

sallen

Angled Hole

Hello,
My modeling ingnorance has surfaced yet again.

I want to model a hole "drilled" at an angle through my part and I'm not quite sure how to do it with Alibre.

Please advise.

swertel

Alibre Super User

I'm not sitting at Alibre right now to test.

1 - Create a sketch (line) on the plane of the centerline of your hole. The end of the line will be the start of your hole, length doesn't matter, making sure it is at the angle of your hole.
2 - Create a plane normal to the sketch line, located at the endpoint of the line (thus the end of the line must be the start of your hole).
3 - Create a hole on that plane. (If that doesn't work, then create a boss-extrude on that plane at a size smaller than the minor diameter. Then create your hole on that boss-extrude and it will be "absorbed" into the hole.)

siggy

What I would do is to insert a new plane at the appropriate angle for the hole. If necessary you can then insert a second plane offset from the first one to the correct starting position for the hole. If the hole goes through the entire part there would be no need for the second offset plane - just sketch your hole onto the angled plane and extrude Through All.

Tore

I had the same issue and rather similar to the other replies:
Inserted a plane at the right angle (normal to the hole center axis), offset a new plane to be above the part.
Inserted a point (used coordinate entry) to be at the surface of the part where I wanted the hole centerline to be
Hole on the offset plane with the inserted point as the center for the hole

I did find the coordinates for the point valuable when I was to set dimensions on the 2D drawing.

Tore

steved

Angled hole

When inserting a plane how do you place a plane on the end of a sketched line, have tried this on a couple of occasions and have been unable to select any sketched line.

Cheers

Steve

Oxford UK