What's new

Answering machine reply to enhancement request...!!!

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
I made two separate enhancement requests.
And I got two of these.

Please enter all suggestions in feedback.alibre.com and the more they are voted on the more likely they will be included in a future release.

Best regards,
Mark Mankiewicz
Alibre Customer Support
Alibre, Inc.
(972) 671-8492

I understand the system. But I have only 2 votes left, I don't want to waste the voting rights to minor ones.
And I replied to him that I want my votes back for those which are planned.
And I am awaiting for the answer.
As far as I have extra votes right I don't care to create new suggestions but otherwise 10 votes are too little for which I bear in mind. :evil:

P.S.
Those are not exactly enhancement from our point of view, they are bugs to me.
Should I make it as a bug report? Since there is no BUG FIX REQUEST VOTE SYSTEM. :twisted:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
According to this article there is a Bugzilla to report bugs for Alibre Design but it is not public. http://www.alibredesign.net/profiles/blogs/the-alibre-design-development
I do realize the reasoning for not having the Bugzilla public due to the competitiveness of the industry, but also the benefits it would provide the users and company.

I too have reported things that I feel are bugs only to be told they are feature requests. Quite unfortunate especially when its something that used to work in a previous release.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
NateLiqGrav said:
I do realize the reasoning for not having the Bugzilla public due to the competitiveness of the industry, but also the benefits it would provide the users and company.
If there were fewer bugs, Alibre would be more competitive.....

I favour having a bug forum. There must be a lot of time wasted grappling with known issues.............multiple reporting etc. It would also put pressure on to get them fixed...... :)

MilesH

Alibre Super User
wathavy4 said:
Should I make it as a bug report?
Intended behaviour is not a bug. So, was it, or not?

wathavy4 said:
And I replied to him that I want my votes back for those which are planned.
And I am awaiting for the answer.
Just reclaim them yourself...... :wink:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
How about whole subassembly selection in exploded views? That is one I was told to make a feature request for. Try it in the past versions and then try it now. :roll:

I think there are differences between new feature requests and making something work the way it should. Similarly there is a difference between bugs in the code and bugs in the design.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
NateLiqGrav said:
I think there are differences between new feature requests and making something work the way it should. Similarly there is a difference between bugs in the code and bugs in the design.
I agree.

"The way it should" and "the way it has in the past" aren't necessarily used in the same sense. Which do you mean?

Alibre has decided that "bugs in the design" are to be addressed through the Wishlist.... If there is an unintentional change in behaviour, this doesn't seem to be the best place........

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Both - You can see this topic for more details: http://forum.alibre.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10000 To sum it up it wasn't working how I remembered it (how it should work) or how the Help file described it. I was told it was changed on purpose to make each part move separately and I could go to feedback.alibre.com to make a suggestion and that the Help file was not updated yet.

*OT* I just noticed that was forum 10 and topic 10000 - kinda odd.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I wanted to note that some support people I have interacted with do actually listen to legit usability/design concerns and address the issues properly. They probably know who they are. Thanks to them again!

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Maybe Alibre is right on my request.
They could be enhancement.
But I still complain that the number of votes are too little and I don't want to waste any of it for these trifle enhancement.
If they stick to their own idea of voting system, I don't make any enhancement request.
If they want to know how many of us want it, do it by themselves, is my opinion.

And I don't care even if the enhancement is not implemented at the end.
They are lame loser if they don't do it.
And I don't care even if they don't listen to me.

Probably, I won't even report it in the future, if they react to me.
Sorry Alibre.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Ok, at least I voted 3.
But I wonder how they react.
They simply ignore this request saying, it is not clear where is the bug and which is the bug.
There are no obvious bug, unless we make it clear, I am afraid.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Its not about a specific bug but rather that we want the current bugs fixed being a higher priority then new features and enhancements and we want Alibre to know that.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
NateLiqGrav said:
Its not about a specific bug but rather that we want the current bugs fixed being a higher priority then new features and enhancements and we want Alibre to know that.
+ 1

keyepitts

I threw all three of my remaining votes into this, I hope that Alibre takes this seriously. New features are great for initial sales, but if they don't fix the bugs people are going to move to different CAD systems just for the stability.

Brent

NateLiqGrav said:
According to this article there is a Bugzilla to report bugs for Alibre Design but it is not public. http://www.alibredesign.net/profiles/blogs/the-alibre-design-development

I too have reported things that I feel are bugs only to be told they are feature requests. Quite unfortunate especially when its something that used to work in a previous release.

As described in the link you posted, Alibre uses a Code Stabilization stage of every development cycle that is devoted to fixing bugs in the software. It would be very helpful to our development team to know what specific bugs are show-stoppers instead of a request to fix all bugs. We work every development cycle to fix as many bugs as possible.

keyepitts

Oh man, you opened the floodgates now. Off the top of my head I can think of-

1) B-spline in 2D drawing bug that causes Alibre to hang momentarily when the spline is closed
2) As Nate said the selecton of a sub-assembly in the exploded view should move all parts in that sub-assembly together ( Feature? :roll: )
3) Lines manually assigned to a new layer in a 2D drawing changing their layers for no apparent reason.
4) lines in a 2D drawing that no matter what you do can't be assigned to a different layer ( like an Invisible layer).
5) Whatever bug it is that corrupted the last assembly drawing that I submitted to support ( I realize that sometimes things happen that are not the fault of Alibre, and this may have been a windows issue or something, but darn, I lost at least two days work recreating that drawing.)

I'm sure there are many other problems that really need to be addressed, these are just the ones that immediately popped into my head. Perhaps Alibre could start some sort of bug-tracking thread where problems could be listed and resolution status updates could be given?

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
brentc said:
As described in the link you posted, Alibre uses a Code Stabilization stage of every development cycle that is devoted to fixing bugs in the software. It would be very helpful to our development team to know what specific bugs are show-stoppers instead of a request to fix all bugs. We work every development cycle to fix as many bugs as possible.
keyepitts said:
I'm sure there are many other problems that really need to be addressed, these are just the ones that immediately popped into my head. Perhaps Alibre could start some sort of bug-tracking thread where problems could be listed and resolution status updates could be given?

Please let us have the sort of closed system where we can define the bugs.
There are critical bugs as well as one which lies between enhancement and bug like tedious procedure.
And I am sure that you want to prioritize them according to your own reason, depends how easy it is to fix, or how serious it is.

Don't let us use our 10 votes enhancement rights for them, by insisting they are enhancements.
I still disagree the count of 10. It's too little when you let us do this way.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I've got a list of emails in my sent box full of exception reports. Sometimes I don't even send them because I just want to get done again whatever I was trying to do while avoiding the bug... Many times I'm so deep into a large assembly that I have no idea what is causing the problem so I don't follow up with support on the issue. Or I think that I can't be alone in this - surely someone else has reported it - for example on my work PC I get an exception once every Alibre session the first time I click the Quick Constraint button. Its not a show stopper though so I've sent it in but never followed up. It seams often when I am trying to constrain in large assemblies I'll get one or two. Sometimes it will stick with the assembly so you have to go back a version (if you use the Vault) and loose a days work (more if you don't use Vault).

This is not a witch hunt. We just want Alibre to know that we want bugs fixed a much higher priority then new features. And I'm not saying that there shouldn't be some priority given to "popular" bugs but that perhaps in the end when you loose time redoing an assembly or working around a bug to you it doesn't matter who else did. To misquote Horton the Elephant - A bug's a bug no matter how small.