What's new

Anybody Virtualized Xpress or can recommend Software?

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
Anybody Virtualized Xpress or can recommend Software?

Has anybody successfully virtualized Xpress and can run it on the same system where a full version of Alibre is installed?

Any recommendation on what virtualization software to try?

I need to test models with Xpress to make sure customers can use them for their designed task, and would like to avoid having to boot up another system to accomplish those tests.

indesign

Alibre Super User

An great free program is now owned by microsoft.

Virtual PC. You can run a virtual PC on your PC. I use it along with many others in testing of software on different versions of Windows. I run Windows 98 in it as well as a second Windows XP.

You must have the installation disk for the OS.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downlo ... fault.mspx

PS: There are extra options you can install after everything is setup to allow more hardware access.

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

I am successfully using Altiris SVS (http://www.svsdownloads.com/) to run multiple versions of Alibre, as well as Xpress and Expert on the same system.

It is perfect for my needs, as I only need to run Windows XP Professional, but need multiple versions of the same software. It isolates each installation into it own virtual "layer" that can be turned on and off as required. I can now turn off Alibre Expert, and turn on Xpress to test compatibility of my models without having to boot up yet another computer or reboot to another operating system installation.

I install using the Global Option, and continue capturing the installation all the way through the entry of the user name and password, as this step is where all the Repositories and user configuration files are created. Quiting the capture earlier will not include these files that are unique to to each version and can cause conflicts if these files are not "turned off" when that version is deactivated.

If you want to install Xpress, you need to do that on a clean system where Alibre has never been installed (at least not without SVS), as there is a memory of installations and the next install will revert to the same version of the software (Profesional/Expert...).

SVS is also great for software you suspect of causing problems with other software, as it can be turned off both for troubleshooting the cause, as well as preventing conflicts.

It is also great to prevent software bloat and slow downs as you can turn off software and the system will perform as if the software was never installed. When I installed MS Office 2003, my system boot time doubled, as well as my system performance degraded. My system became even slower and more unstable as more software was installed. I ended rolling my system back about 6 months to when I did not have much more software installed other than Alibre, and my system got its old performance and reliability back (I save images of my operating system using Acronis True Image, both at initial build, and periodically). While I keep the bloat of some software off my production system and install it on my secondary system, I can now install a bit more on my production system and keep it turned off except when I specifically need it. I leave the Office word processing only on my secondary system though, and generally use WordPerfect as it is better software anyway. Excel is the standard in Spreadsheets though, but I keep it's installation for use with Alibre on an SVS layer I can leave off until I need it, and this keep my production system humming along with my bare system performance. Anyone with a lot of experience with Windows knows how systems seem to degrade with time and software, but with SVS I am able to keep my system "young" by turning off all but the bare essentials.

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

I am running both v9 and v10 in production with SVS, with separate repositories and file system folders of course.

You should to a GLOBAL capture during installation and not stop the capture until you have started and validated your username in Alibre. Also, if you are copying Repositories and updating the LocalRepositories.cfg file, you should do that also before you stop the global capture as well.

One problem I encountered was when there were Alibre installation files remaining before I did an install using SVS. There was a conflict between the files in C:\\Program Files\\Alibre Design\\... in the normal file system and that in the virtual file system of SVS. Make sure there do not exist any files in locations where new files will be installed in the version under SVS. SVS has trouble deciding if you want to replace the same named file when there are two versions of the same file with the same pathname. MAKE SURE YOU DELETE ALL TRACES OF ALIBRE INSTALL FILES. That goes for Program Files, as well as all files in Documents and Settings.

While I am sure other software virtualization tools will work for running multiple versions of Alibre, SVS works for me because I am only interested in running a single Windows operating system, and like being able to turn on and off different software installations.