What's new

Anyone doing concrete design with Alibre Design?

gregmilliken

Anyone doing concrete design with Alibre Design?

Hi,

Is anyone out there doing concrete design with Alibre Design? If so, I am interested in understanding how you are using the tool and what your experience has been.

If so, send me a private message and I will follow-up to discuss it with you.

Thanks,
Greg

gregmilliken

Basically, the design of reinforced concrete slabs and/or structures such as beams or columns including the rebar and other embedments.

Embedments being plates or structures embedded in the concrete for anchoring equipment or other structures.

-Greg

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Sounds like a good use for multiple materials in a single part. For example, steel rebar surounded by concrete. Create the steel rebar structure, create the concrete slab. Boolean subtract out the rebar shapes. Boolan add in the rebar. But, choose to add the rebar so that it retains it's material properties. Now, you can calculate material properties based on the composite structure.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

jwknecht said:
Boolean subtract out the rebar shapes. Boolan add in the rebar. But, choose to add the rebar so that it retains it's material properties.

Or better still, a new Feature "Subtract and Replace" or (A - B) + B :wink:

rbrian

Re:

Greg, Is there anyway to Use 'Concrete' as a Material at this point (V8.2=no; V9.1=?)?

Would it not be a weight/strength/density values issue in terms of various %'s of Stone, Crush, Sand, Cement, Water/Curing Time & Temp = lots of variations to consider, for starters! (I had about 10 Years in Concrete Construction of Retaining Walls, Tunnel Liners, Bridge Abuttments, Water Flumes, Concrete Deck Bridges and more on the Canadian National Railway. We could make a fairly large variation in the Aggregate Mix to change strength, cure temps, and in some cases surface and core hardness.)

Any Current Material Selection Imaging Presentations in the works? Ie: - select 2024 aluminum - material colors showing to represent this material in some fashion?

John,
jwknecht said:
Sounds like a good use for multiple materials in a single part. For example, steel rebar surounded by concrete. Create the steel rebar structure, create the concrete slab. Boolean subtract out the rebar shapes. Boolan add in the rebar. But, choose to add the rebar so that it retains it's material properties. Now, you can calculate material properties based on the composite structure.
Sounds like it would be a two step assembly ... boolean out the re-bar space in the concrete (model), and 'assemble' (in assembly workspace) the rebar back in for your composite finished item!