What's new

Anyone moved data from 32 bit vault to 64 bit vault?

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Has anyone using the Vault, on a Win 32 bit OS, later installed a Win 64 bit OS?
I don't know if you had to, but did you then install the 64 bit Vault?
If you did, how did you handle the Vault data transfer?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I don't use Vault, but is there not a migration tool which you can use on the new 64bit setup to pull in the data from an existing Vault (i.e. the 32bit store) ?

It's mentioned on page 18 of ... https://www.alibre.com/assets/VaultInstall.pdf

The wizard image on page 19 states ... "This wizard will guide you through creating a file system or Vault based repository from an existing Alibre repository ..."

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - I've done that fairly recently.

Data transfer - first make sure all files are checked in (they can't be backed up if checked out). Perform a full Vault backup, you might also want to perform a Master Database backup (Master database includes details of all Vaults, Login accounts, scheduled jobs...). Make sure the backups are saved somewhere you can easily find them and transfer to new machine/OS.

Install 64 bit Vault (Ideally without sample Vaults - or delete these after installing), install licence (the key is NOT hardware locked) - restore master database from backup, restore Vault from backup (the files are the same regardless of 32 or 64 bit).

Depending on how you access M-Files (Windows ID or M-Files ID), you may need to re-assign your userID to your new Windows Login Account.

The Migration tool is NOT designed for this - the reference to Repository is to the cloud based system that Alibre used before adopting M-Files.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Thanks for the reply.
The Repository was a different animal all together. It was a file management system created (maybe adapted) by Alibre back in the day.
The Vault Install documentation does not address the issue of 32-bit to 64-bit.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Oh - and you may have to set up the Client connection to your Vault (even if server is on the same PC).

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
DavidJ,
So where did you get your M-File license issued?
Don't tell me you're that guy that knows where he saved all his licenses. :)

EDIT::
I forgot this: Thank you DavidJ for the answer.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
M-Files licences can be retrieved from the OLD Alibre account (my account info). Note that Geomagic stopped updating these with annual maintenance unless asked some while back and have recently stopped providing any licence updates for M-Files (all part of product improvement no doubt...).

If you have an old licence key, you won't be able to use a more modern version of M-Files (the licences include date information).

Yes I do try to keep a copy of my licence key for most software (you never know when you might have to re-install).

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
M-Files licences can be retrieved from the OLD Alibre account (my account info). Note that Geomagic stopped updating these with annual maintenance unless asked some while back and have recently stopped providing any licence updates for M-Files (all part of product improvement no doubt...).

If you have an old licence key, you won't be able to use a more modern version of M-Files (the licences include date information).

Yes I do try to keep a copy of my licence key for most software (you never know when you might have to re-install).

I keep my licenses too, but end up loosing them somehow. I have the GMD license taped to the monitor now. :roll:
But seriously, I was at the http://www.alibre.com website today and while you can still login, the resulting page offers no way to find account info.
Am I missing something here?

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
This is interesting;
I was just informed by GMD tech support that M-Files is handling all licensing and problem resolution for GMD customer base.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I think that is roundabout way of saying that if you want a licence, go and buy one from M-Files. It used to be included in your GD maintenance.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Ok thanks. Will check it out tomorrow. Time to lift heavy stones and drink beer (we're building a patio for a mid year Burns Night party).

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Clean install with Win8.1-64; downloaded and installed the GMD-64 and VaultForGMD-64
Reinstalled as per DavidJ (Thank you very much).
Things look good until I go to access the vault in the M-Files sever manager.
Then I get a message that my subscription has expired and I cannot access my files.
My license never expires though. So that means I suppose I could reload the old ver 9.whatever Vault.
I shouldn't have to do that though. We've been on continuous maintenance since 2005.

As posted before, GMD support said:
Thank you for contacting 3D System's Geomagic Technical Support. The M-Files Vault will need to have Back-up the Master Data base under the Action tab. However, I would recommend contacting M-Files Technical Support for any procedures.
M-Files Support: http://www.m-files.com/en/contact-support
Best Regards,

So what do suppose M-Files support said?
You will need to contact GeoMagic Design Support for license inquiries as they handle those licenses.
Best Regards,

The ball is back in GMD's court. I'll let you know how this pans out.

cclark440

Alibre Super User
I am having to pay M-Files to update my licensing, and buy a third license for our new employee.

M-Files support told me that after the current version of M-Files there will be no support for that Vault, meaning it will not work with any new releases of M-Files. I was told that there is a lot of custom code to get Geomagic(Alibre) to work with M-Files, and that was always handled by Alibre(Geomagic).
I was basically told to start figuring out how to get away from the Vault because no one will support it any longer.
I have 11 years of work tied up in the Vault, and there doesn't seem to be any good way to get it out. :x :twisted: :evil:
The support tech said that in theory, it should continue to work until the operating system no longer supports it. He did not know when that might be, could be as early as Windows10.
So do I continue to work with the Vault for as long as I can and postpone the pain of migration, or start migrating now before I get another 2-3 years of work tied to the Vault?

So for I have tried the following;
Simply dragging and dropping from M-Files to Windows - works, but loose all associativity.
Create packages - works, maintains associations, but loses folder structure. Not to mention how time consuming this would be with over 11,000 parts and assemblies.
Export folders from M-Files - gets the data out, but I can't edit anything.

If anyone has a solution please let me know. :?:

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
I feel your pain Clint, I've got parts and assemblies going back to 2005 myself. GMD tech support let me know that the contract between Geomagic and M-Files has expired and they no longer can access the license utility at M-Files. I was surprised that Alibre/Geomagic didn't keep records for themselves. (I still haven't heard back from support since they picked up the ticket). I brought my laptop in today to try and experiment with solving this problem myself.

I think the straight M-Files would work if you used the same vault.
The views we are used to in the GMD Vault (Like 1.By Product, 2.By Project, 3.CAD Files, etc.) would have to be created.
Also, in the Client Settings, when you dig deep enough you can find settings that I think have to be tweaked. Just time-consuming stuff, but not insurmountable.
If I had a working copy I'd be able to answer you better.

Alternatively, you can change the settings in GMD "Systems Options">General>Vault:
...uncheck "Use Geomagic Vault?"
...uncheck "Show prompt to check in files when browser is closed."
This will let you save the assemblies to the Windows files system. If you are like me, this will take up a lot more room on your disk because every assembly will use a copy of each component. But it does eliminate the dependence on GMD and Vault.

Here's hoping for the best.

cclark440

Alibre Super User
I am thoroughly disgusted at this point.

I just got off the phone M-Files rep who told me that the standard price for a concurrent license is $1450.
Plus I would have to pay to update my current licenses to bring them current.

The picture painted by the M-Files support tech that I talked to seems pretty grim. Basically we are stuck with the current version forever, and there will be no support for it.

Geomagic has no answers that satisfy me. I exported all 12,000+ files from the Vault this morning.
Not one of the assemblies that I have tried works.

I see the writing on the wall.
Alibre served us well when we couldn't afford the mainstream software, but no more.
Solidworks here we come. :(

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I may be off centre about this and I will also contact M-Files myself but I only used the Alibre version of the M-Files setup on the very first install. (Alibre v11) Since that time I have always grabbed the latest M-Files version direct from M-Files and updated the original Vault each time. The vault has continued to work flawlessly for me all this time.

From my usage and discussions from time to time with M-Files, I gather that its the vault itself that had to be configured to accept GM Design filetypes from the word go without new users having to learn how to configure the vault itself before using it. I don't think that the vault is unique in that it won't work with non GM M-Files installed software. The very fact that I have done what I have seems to support this.

M-Files support told me that after the current version of M-Files there will be no support for that Vault, meaning it will not work with any new releases of M-Files. I was told that there is a lot of custom code to get Geomagic(Alibre) to work with M-Files, and that was always handled by Alibre(Geomagic).

I would and will question this statement, The custom code was all in GM so that it talked correctly to the Vault. A more pertinent question will be, how long will GM retain the code to talk to M-Files?

As I said, I may be wrong and will ask.

EDIT:

I have just sent the following email to a contact I have dealt with previously at M-Files.

Since Geomagic (GM) has ceased its association with M-Files (originally with Alibre Design) there has been concerned discussion on the GM forum as to how things progress from here.

I would like to check a few facts with you please.

1. GM did not alter basic code in the M-Files software.
2. GM would most likely have preconfigured a vault to be installed on setup to work "out of the box" for GM users.
3. All coding for GM to interact with M-Files would have been the responsibility of Alibre\GM to build into their software.
4. Existing Alibre\GM vaults will continue to work with future versions of M-Files, assuming that the proper upgrade path is followed as each new version is released. (assuming that the licence is kept up to date, otherwise we have continuing usage of the last version we were licensed for.)

What is the current cost of yearly maintenance and how much to add additional users to the licence?

I eagerly await your response.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
In light of the above comments, I tried to retrieve my existing licence from the old Alibre site.

There are problems logging in - when I did reach the Vault page, it was empty. It seems that not only will my M-Files licence not be updated, I can't even retrieve my existing licence key.

I won't say any more.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff - there are issues with finding it at present, hopefully a temporary glitch (it has been reported). I'm referring to http://www.alibre.com site.

[UPDATE - no point looking, the licence data is no longer there and Geomagic support can't access it either.]