What's new

Anyone running Alibre on a VM thru Linux?

JST

Alibre Super User
It seems that I recall a discussion, but I could not locate it.

I am getting tired of Micro$oft bloatware and the latency increases, so considering a shift for the future. Some programs are available in Linux, and for others, the Windows VM should handle. But I am not sure it does.

So, if you are doing that, does Alibre work correctly?

Is there any issue of latency or added slowness due to the added layer of the VM?

What problems have you seen, if any?

Have updates and new versions been OK?

What VM are you using?

JST

Alibre Super User
I do not expect that it will, or could. The question is clearly about what sort of performance hit results from doing that.

But the machine in general will not be windows, the VM for those programs that do not have linux versions. Such as Alibre, and some others I have. "Backwards compatibility", if you will.

Joe Gwinn

I run Alibre under Parallels on the Mac, and this works perfectly so far. One does need to provide enough physical memory to handle the fact that two full-figured operating systems are present. One also needs a standard three-button with scroll wheel mouse. I think that Parallels supports Linux as well.

JST

Alibre Super User
Speed OK? I would be concerned that with things running under what amount to "simulators", that it would be slow.

What software is running to do that? Alibre is not written for the Mac, so something must be executing code for a different machine.

Is the "parallels" program running under Mac OS, and "imitating" Windows?

Or is the Parallels program supplying what amounts to a software based hardware replacement, with actual Windows running under it, and Alibre running under that?

Hunter

Or is the Parallels program supplying what amounts to a software based hardware replacement, with actual Windows running under it, and Alibre running under that?
This, basically. The VM is just (advanced) software, so you still have to install Windows on top of it. Doesn't matter what you do, you'll have to install Windows regardless, either on hardware, or on a VM that runs on the same hardware. Can't see how you would win (excuse the pun) any performance, except that you'll only use Windows (and Parallels or Virtual Box or whatever VM you choose) when you run Alibre. That's my understanding of it in any case.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Last time I tried this was years ago. No luck then, doubt it'll be better now.
To clarify my comment: I tried to install Alibre in Virtual Box running windows (7, I think, it's years ago) and also in Wine. The VB install was a no go, immensely complicated to the point where I gave up in the end. In Wine I could install AD but it wouldn't run.

My two cents: if its not running natively in the OS its not worth it.

Mika

I made a little "thesis" during my engineering study times...using 3D cads in Linux. I tried most of the linux distros with most of the 3D cad softwares with Wine, crossover and play on linux. None of those did not work, but my teacher gave me 5/5 number from that course, because my "thesis" was so wide. Just like bigsebsaid, "if its not running natively in the OS its not worth it".

clivel

My Dell laptop is set up to dual-boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint, although I rarely boot into Windows as all the apps I run, other than tax software which is only used once a year, are available as native Linux apps.

So, when I first decided to investigate 3d CAD my preference was for a native Linux app, which is why my first choice was Freecad, which better yet it is open source of which I am a strong proponent (I develop and maintain an open source application of my own which has a fairly strong following in its niche market).

But, try as I might, and I really wanted to, I just couldn't learn to love Freecad.

Next try was Fusion 360, I had hoped to get it running under Wine - I wasted countless hours following various instructions found online, none of which worked. Not having much success with F360 I signed up for an Atom3D trial, but had no more success getting this to run under Wine.

So, not having much success with Wine, I installed Windows 10 in VM Virtual Box.
Both F360 and Atom3D ran, but were a little flakey with neither being really usable - screen freezes for seconds at a time, partial screen refreshes and occasionally F360 would lock up completely.

Before giving up with virtual machines, I decided to give Windows 10 in VMWare Player a whirl. Player is a commercial product that can be downloaded free for non-commercial use.

F360 was functional, but slow and jerky, occasionally locking up for a few seconds at a time - usable in a pinch but not good enough for regular use.
However, Atom3D worked flawlessly for me, so much so that I bought a licence :)
I think that It is probably a little slower than running directly under Windows but not enough to really be noticable.

I think people are missing the point, running Linux means everything else runs faster - email, web browsing, word processing, etc. even if Atom3d runs a little slower.
So, if 3d CAD is is just one of many tasks run on a daily basis, then for me, the slight reduction in performance is easily outweighed by the improved performance for everything else. But, if 3D CAD is a primary part of your day, then it probably makes sense to run it directly on Windows.

Clive

JST

Alibre Super User
I do run the full version, I have large models, and I use Keyshot. All of those are factors against.

But I AM tired of windows for many things.

Linux is losing its shine, due in part to windows malware being ported to Linux.

For me, running Alibre in windows that is running under a simulator on Linux does not seem as if it really solves the problems of Windows.

And I have no clue how Keyshot would use multiple processors under that stackup of programs

JST

Alibre Super User
And yet, every time I tell someone why I am not using Linux..... which is Alibre and a couple other programs...... once I get past the "just use this other program, it's free" deal, I get it patiently explained to me how there is no problem and it's just as fast as that nasty slow windows (which you STILL have to have, even with Linux and the simulator "VM").

You have confirmed the issue I suspected.

Drutort

as stupid as this might sound... but you can run linux in windows VM? if all those apps do not require as much resources you could do that, its silly but you would have far more success that way, if for whatever reason you want to have linux, maybe as a security thing? Or for the open source apps (though you can run a number of them in windows too)

It makes sense for reason of isolating and protecting one OS from other, so you could do a lot of desktop stuff, internet, office, video (Youtube) etc... in a VM running linux and not do any of those things in the windows native OS

Played with it years ago, and its fun, but not useful for all the reasons others mentioned and here we are 10-15 years later still the same story.

As others mentioned it seems that running Mac and running windows in their is far better because of their closed hardware and polished drivers etc... they can make it work far better then regular pc with million of part/driver combinations

clivel

The advantage of running Linux, is that it far outperforms Windows.

It runs faster, uses fewer resources, and most importantly doesn't require constant updates that tie the machine up for ages and it doesn't require the ever-annoying reboots after updates, and of course, there is no need to have the resource-hogging anti-Virus software constantly running in the background to protect against all sorts of malware that is so prevalent on Windows.

So, running Linux in a VM under Windows would be a bit like sitting in a Ferrari on the back of a truck and expecting it to go like a Ferrari.

The disadvantage of running Linux is that not all software runs on it. But now days, there is very little that doesn't. The only software, that I require which is Windows only is Alibre Atom3D and Turbotax which I only use once a year anyway.

So, for me, having a faster and more reliable computer for 90% of what I do sure beats the inconvenience of running Windows 10 under VMWare Player for the few hours a week that I use Atom3d, and, to be honest, performance-wise, there is very little difference performance wise between running it directly on the hardware or via a virtual machine.

JST

Alibre Super User
Yah.... quite a bit ofspecialty software is never ported to Linux.

Yes, there are usually alternate programs, but for me, substitutes don't cut it, usually. I could run F-360 in Linux, I am told, but, WHY?

Rick Sink

I run Alibre under Parallels on the Mac, and this works perfectly so far. One does need to provide enough physical memory to handle the fact that two full-figured operating systems are present. One also needs a standard three-button with scroll wheel mouse. I think that Parallels supports Linux as well.
I currently run Alibre 24 under Win 10 Pro on a laptop. I also own a Mac Mini with similar Intel hardware. I'd like to explore running Alibre under Parallels on the Mac. But I'd still like to switch back and forth from Win laptop to Mac Min without having to buy another Alibre license. I think Alibre has the capability to switch off a license on one computer and switch it back on another. But not sure how to install it under Parallels on the Mac and maintain this capability. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks,
Rick