What's new

Anyone using Personal Edition?

Bob_Rossi

I am an advanced amateur woodworker looking for an inexpensive 3D drawing package.
Is anyone here using Alibre Personal Edition for designing woodworking projects?

If you are, what are it's weaknesses?

Thanks.

BernardK

Alibre Super User
I have used the old Standard version for woodwork projects. I have found it to be excelent for creating part and assembly models. The standard edition has the full drawing features and these are useful for generating the 2D drawings to assist manufacture.

As for weaknesses, the main one for me is the inability to effectively manage parameters across several parts. For example, if a structure is designed around a particular size or thickness of wood and you decide to use a different size stock, each and every part has to be modified independantly to update the size. It is not a major drawback, just a bit of a pain.

Models can be created quickly with a minimum of training, but you will need some of the advancd features to ensure models correctly update when dimensions are changed.

Take a look here to see one of my projects:

http://www.longlands.net/woodwork/

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
Alex Franke's Parameter Wizard helps with this parameter problem, as you can change particular parameters in many parts.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
BernardK said:
As for weaknesses, the main one for me is the inability to effectively manage parameters across several parts. For example, if a structure is designed around a particular size or thickness of wood and you decide to use a different size stock, each and every part has to be modified independantly to update the size. It is not a major drawback, just a bit of a pain.

I do not know Standard version because I am using the EXPERT version of AB. I have found as long as I don't change any thing major like redrawing the base part. The part can be change. This change will appear in any ASSM. that uses the part you just updates. If in your structure if you use a part over an over again I suggest you made a separate part dwg. for that part. Then use this new in a new dwg. Now in the future you can change the stock,thickness, length, add (or remove) holes or what ever is need.
As long you do not change any constraint (face,edge,etc), the drawing will reflect the changes you made to the part.

I hope this helps.

ChiknNutz

I am using the Personal Edition for some "light" woodworking. I have designed and built a few outdoor structures (pergola for one) and found it to be a great tool. I haven't used it really hardcore yet, so am not too sure of weaknesses relative to woodworking...yet.

spetros

Yes, to answer your question over a year later :) , I do.
I find it to be quite useful, However it's greatest weakness by far is the printing interface.
Often times I will want to print a part 1:1 so I can use the printout as a template for a bandsaw cut.
Alibre's print options are quirky and unintuitive, to say the least. I am hoping for some improvement in v2012.

BernardK

Alibre Super User
There have been quite a few posts on printing accurate full scale drawings for use a templates. Search the forum for full scale printing.

My technique is to print to pdf (using PrimoPDF print driver). Then reading the pdf into Paint Shop Pro which is an image editor. The print module can be readily adjusted to output any part of the print at just about any scale. I measure the printout and adjust the print scale accordingly. Using this method I have created full size templates covering several sheets of A3 that can be taped together.