What's new

API Documentation???

sbrown

Hello everyone.

I have been evaluating Cubify Design 2014 for a few days and so far I am very impressed.

One of the things that I am interested in is the .NET API that is apparently available for Cubify/Geomagic Design. I have experience as a .NET developer, but lack any documentation for the Geomagic API itself. I've found documentation for older versions of the API on these forums, but nothing current.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain the API documentation?

Thanks!

Steve

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't seen any recently updated documentation, there isn't anything on the main download site for Geomagic Design. Might be simplest to drop a query using the 'contact us' page on the Cubify site.

sbrown

I just sent a message via the "Contact Up" page on the Cubify site.

It turns out that the "API Documentation" announcement by sigseven in this forum contains newer documentation than I thought. Even though the post is dated 2008, there's a link to a 2014 file, so this may be the most current. I just downloaded it and now I am eager to take a look at it to find out what might be possible.

robertf

Is anyone actively developing add ons with the current version of visual studio and geomagic?

I'd like to throw together a quick macro to insert files based on an eagle parts list, x,y,z,rotation file and a corresponding model lookup file, but couldn't find anything on the geomagic web site. Could someone point me in the right direction? Are we still limited to c# and vb?

robertf

Thanks for the suggestion

I looked at the reference manual and I do not see any functions that add a part to an existing assembly.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
robertf said:
Are we still limited to c# and vb?

A long time ago in Excel (now 2010 version) I added AlibreX under tools -> references, for access to the API.
It seems to provide everything the API offers.
It was "wildcatting" (not the cat type) and the code I have may be sloppy and out of date but still used "a lot" to update constraint angles for spline plotting.

There is a flowchart for relationships among the documentation that explains a lot.
Something changed along the way that I fiddled around in a "watch" window to figure out but may have been conforming of the layout to the API with a new Alibre release.

So I have a "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications" Module that starts with;
Code:
        Public L01_PUoAD_Root As IADRoot ' Holds Alibre Root object
        Public L02_PUoAD_Session As IADSession ' Holds Alibre Session Object
        Public L03_PUoAD_Part As IADPartSession ' Holds Alibre Part Session object
        Public L03_PUoAD_Assm As IADAssemblySession ' Holds Alibre Assembly Session Object
        Public L04_MYoAD_assmConstraints As IADAssemblyConstraints ' Holds the Assembly constraint object enumeration
        Public L05_MYoAD_assmConstraint As IADAssemblyConstraint ' Holds the Assembly constraint object

Public Const pcAD_Units_MILLIMETERS = ADUnits.ADUnits_AD_MILLIMETERS
        Public Const pcAD_Units_CENTIMETERS = ADUnits.ADUnits_AD_CENTIMETERS
        Public Const pcAD_Units_METERS = ADUnits.ADUnits_AD_METERS
        Public Const pcAD_Units_INCHES = ADUnits.ADUnits_AD_INCHES
        Public Const pcAD_Units_FEET = ADUnits.ADUnits_AD_FEET
'        Public Const pcAD_POUNDMASS = ADUnits.AD_POUNDMASS
'        ADUnits_AD_POUNDMASS = AlibreX.ADUnits_AD_POUNDMASS
        Public Const pcAD_Units_POUNDMASS = AlibreX.ADUnits.ADUnits_AD_POUNDMASS

Public Const pcAD_ParameterTypeDISTANCE = ADParameterType.ADParameterType_AD_DISTANCE
        Public Const pcAD_ParameterTypeANGLE = ADParameterType.ADParameterType_AD_ANGLE
        Public Const pcAD_ParameterTypeCOUNT = ADParameterType.ADParameterType_AD_COUNT
        Public Const pcAD_ParameterTypeSCALE = ADParameterType.ADParameterType_AD_SCALE

Public Const pcAD_SubType_ASSEMBLY = ADObjectSubType.ADObjectSubType_AD_ASSEMBLY
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_BOM_TABLE = ADObjectSubType.ADObjectSubType_AD_BOM_TABLE
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_CATALOG_FEATURE = ADObjectSubType.ADObjectSubType_AD_CATALOG_FEATURE
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_DRAWING = ADObjectSubType.ADObjectSubType_AD_DRAWING
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_EXTERNAL = ADObjectSubType.ADObjectSubType_AD_EXTERNAL
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_PART = ADObjectSubType.ADObjectSubType_AD_PART
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_SHEET_METAL = ADObjectSubType.ADObjectSubType_AD_SHEET_METAL
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_SHEET_METALSHEET_METAL_CATALOG_FEATURE = ADObjectSubType.ADObjectSubType_AD_SHEET_METAL_CATALOG_FEATURE
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_AD_SYMBOL = ADObjectSubType.ADObjectSubType_AD_SYMBOL

Public Const pcAD_SubType_3D_SKETCH = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_3D_SKETCH
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_3D_SKETCH_FIGURE = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_3D_SKETCH_FIGURE
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_AD_ASSEMBLY_CONSTRAINT = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_ASSEMBLY_CONSTRAINT
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_AD_BOM_COLUMN = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_BOM_COLUMN
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_BOM_ROW = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_BOM_ROW
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_AD_CONFIGURATION = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_CONFIGURATION
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_DATA_FONT = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_DATA_FONT
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_DESIGN_AXIS = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_DESIGN_AXIS
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_AD_DESIGN_PLANE = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_DESIGN_PLANE
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_DESIGN_POINT = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_DESIGN_POINT
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_DESIGN_SURFACE = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_DESIGN_SURFACE
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_DIMENSION = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_DIMENSION
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_EXPLODED_VIEW = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_EXPLODED_VIEW
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_EXPLODED_VIEW_STEP = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_EXPLODED_VIEW_STEP
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_FOLDER = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_FOLDER
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_FOLDER_ITEM = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_FOLDER_ITEM
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_GEOMETRY = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_GEOMETRY
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_OCCURRENCE = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_OCCURRENCE
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_PARAMETER = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_PARAMETER
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_PART_FEATURE = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_PART_FEATURE
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_REPOSITORY = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_REPOSITORY
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_ROLE = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_ROLE
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_ROOT = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_ROOT
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_SAVED_VIEW = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_SAVED_VIEW
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_SESSION = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_SESSION
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_SKETCH = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_SKETCH
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_SKETCH_FIGURE = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_SKETCH_FIGURE
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_TEAM = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_TEAM
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_TOPOLOGY = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_TOPOLOGY
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_UNKNOWN = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_UNKNOWN
        Public Const pcAD_SubType_USER = ADObjectType.ADObjectType_AD_USER
I may or may not have gotten all of those "Public" definitions correct or current but I didn't intend to ever release it so YMMV.
Just don't want to mislead anyone with unreviewed nomenclature.
(You can see there was a struggle to get "ADUnits_AD_POUNDMASS" back then. It may be a non-issue today but I think I got around it.)

Code:
Public Sub psAD_HookAlibre()

Dim My_Hook As IAutomationHook ' Holds Alibre Automation My_Hook object
    Dim UserReply

On Error Resume Next
    Set My_Hook = GetObject(, "AlibreX.AutomationHook")
    If (My_Hook Is Nothing) _
        Then ' Alibre Design is not initialized, report and quit
            UserReply = MsgBox("Alibre Design is not running", 0, "Start Alibre")
            Stop
            Exit Sub
          Else ' Alibre Design is initialized
            Set L01_PUoAD_Root = My_Hook.Root
    End If

If (L01_PUoAD_Root Is Nothing) Or (L01_PUoAD_Root.Sessions Is Nothing) _
        Then ' for some reason an instance of Alibre Design or Alibre Session Object could not be found, report and quit
        UserReply = MsgBox("Alibre My_Hook.root or .Sessions failed", 0, "Check Alibre")
        Exit Sub
    End If
End Sub

Code:
Public Sub psAD_FindADObject(MyWS_SessionTargetName As String, MyWS_SessionTargetType As String)
'    Call psAD_FindADObject(VWSo_TargetSheet.Range("WS_SessionTargetName"), VWSo_TargetSheet.Range("WS_SessionTargetType")) 'EXAMPLE
    Call psAD_HookAlibre

' From the WS extension literal determine what extension type is being sought and save the Alibre numeric type value
    On Error GoTo 0
    Dim My_SessionTargetType As ADObjectSubType
    Dim UserReply, VBv_FileFound

If MyWS_SessionTargetType = "AD_PRT" _
        Then ' looking for parts
            My_SessionTargetType = pcAD_SubType_PART
      Else
        If MyWS_SessionTargetType = "AD_ASM" _
            Then ' looking for assemblys
                My_SessionTargetType = pcAD_SubType_ASSEMBLY

Else ' not a type used in this sub, report and quit
                UserReply = MsgBox(MyWS_SessionTargetType & "Not a valid extension type for this option", 0, "Check Type AD_PRT or AD_ASM")
                Stop
                Exit Sub
        End If
    End If

' Session search
    Dim MYoAD_EachSession As IADSession ' Holds "each" Alibre Session Object
    VBv_FileFound = False ' Set the initial value
    For Each MYoAD_EachSession In L01_PUoAD_Root.Sessions
        If (MYoAD_EachSession.SessionType = My_SessionTargetType) _
            Then ' It's the right file type
                If MYoAD_EachSession.Name = MyWS_SessionTargetName _
                    Then ' It's the right file name
                        If VBv_FileFound _
                            Then ' this file has been found twice and the user may have 2 copies open, report and quit
                                UserReply = MsgBox("Two copies of " & MyWS_SessionTargetName & " found open", 0, "Close copy not opened from assembly")
                                Stop
                                Exit Sub
                          Else ' keep this Session
                            Set L02_PUoAD_Session = MYoAD_EachSession
                            VBv_FileFound = True
                        End If
                End If
        End If
    Next

' Session search results
    If VBv_FileFound _
        Then ' set/copy the Alibre session object of the file type to its defined object type to use where needed
            If My_SessionTargetType = pcAD_SubType_PART _
                Then ' its a part Session
                    Set L03_PUoAD_Part = L02_PUoAD_Session
            End If
            If My_SessionTargetType = pcAD_SubType_ASSEMBLY _
                Then ' its an assembly Session
                    Set L03_PUoAD_Assm = L02_PUoAD_Session
            End If
          Else ' this file was not found, report and quit
            UserReply = MsgBox("The file """ & MyWS_SessionTargetName & """ is not open", 0, "Open the file")
            End
            Exit Sub
        End If
End Sub

An example of what it can be used for was the following (which I don't use and haven't so long that it might not work).
If you know Excel you may recognize that I use "Named" cells or ranges. It was exploring for my own edification and not a "best practices" example either.
Code:
Sub RightArrow2_Click()
    Set MYoWS_TargetSheet = ActiveSheet
    Call psAD_FindADObject(MYoWS_TargetSheet.Range("WS_SessionTargetName"), MYoWS_TargetSheet.Range("WS_SessionTargetType"))

MYoWS_TargetSheet.Range("WS_ListAllEquations").Select
    Set MYoWS_table = ActiveCell.CurrentRegion
    MYoWS_table.Offset(1, 0).Resize(MYoWS_table.Rows.Count - 1, MYoWS_table.Columns.Count).ClearContents
    MYoWS_TargetSheet.Range("WS_ListActiveConfig").Select

Dim MYoAD_DesignDetail As IADDesignSession ' Exposes one configurations detail in a design session
    Set MYoAD_DesignDetail = L02_PUoAD_Session

Dim MYoAD_DesignProperties As IADDesignProperties ' Exposes ??????????? in a design session
    Set MYoAD_DesignProperties = MYoAD_DesignDetail.DesignProperties

MYv_ConfigCount = MYoAD_DesignDetail.Configurations.Count
    MYv_ActiveConfigName = MYoAD_DesignDetail.ActiveConfiguration.Name ' Save the active configuration name
    MYoWS_TargetSheet.Range("WS_ConfigCount") = MYv_ConfigCount ' Report the configuration Count

Set MYoWS_TargetCell = MYoWS_TargetSheet.Range("WS_ListAllEquations")
    MYv_TargetRow = 0

Dim MYv_Configurations As Integer
    For MYv_Configurations = 0 To (MYv_ConfigCount - 1)
        If MYv_ConfigCount > 1 _
            Then ' there is more than one configuration so loop through each one from the first
                Set MYoAD_DesignDetail.ActiveConfiguration = MYoAD_DesignDetail.Configurations.Item(MYv_Configurations) ' or use "= VADo_Config.DesignSession"
    '            L02_PUoAD_Session.Save
        End If
        If MYv_ActiveConfigName = MYoAD_DesignDetail.ActiveConfiguration.Name _
            Then ' select this configuration to restore as active configuration if needed when done
                MYv_RestoreConfiguration = MYv_Configurations
        End If

' Refresh the link, Gets the alternate configuration or; if Alibre or the file go away, they stop run
        Call psAD_FindADObject(MYoWS_TargetSheet.Range("WS_SessionTargetName"), MYoWS_TargetSheet.Range("WS_SessionTargetType"))
        With Parameters
            For Each Parameters In L02_PUoAD_Session.Parameters 'L01_PUoAD_Root.Sessions
                    MYoWS_TargetCell.Offset(MYv_TargetRow, -1) = MYoAD_DesignDetail.ActiveConfiguration.Name
                    MYoWS_TargetCell.Offset(MYv_TargetRow, 0) = .Name
                    MYoWS_TargetCell.Offset(MYv_TargetRow, 1) = .Equation
                    MYoWS_TargetCell.Offset(MYv_TargetRow, 2) = .Value
                    MYoWS_TargetCell.Offset(MYv_TargetRow, 3) = .Comment
                    MYoWS_TargetCell.Offset(MYv_TargetRow, 4) = .Type
                    MYoWS_TargetCell.Offset(MYv_TargetRow, 5) = .Units
                    MYoWS_TargetCell.Offset(MYv_TargetRow, 6) = .ExternallyDriven
                    MyChooseFormula = "=CHOOSE(" & .ParameterType & " + 1, ""Dist"", ""Angle"", ""Count"" & ""Scale"")"
                    MYoWS_TargetCell.Offset(MYv_TargetRow, 7) = MyChooseFormula
        '            ActiveCell.Offset(0, 8) = Parameters.Root
                    MYoWS_TargetCell.Offset(MYv_TargetRow, 8) = .SourceDocumentID
                    MYoWS_TargetCell.Offset(MYv_TargetRow, 9) = .SourceItemID
'                    jklh = L02_PUoAD_Session..Parameters.Item(0).comment
                    MYv_TargetRow = MYv_TargetRow + 1
                Next
            End With
    Next MYv_Configurations

If MYv_ConfigCount > 0 _
        Then ' there is more than one configuration so loop through each one from the first
            If Not MYv_ActiveConfigName = MYoAD_DesignDetail.ActiveConfiguration.Name _
                Then ' Restore active configuration when done
                    Set MYoAD_DesignDetail.ActiveConfiguration = MYoAD_DesignDetail.Configurations.Item(MYv_RestoreConfiguration)
                    ' Refresh the link or; if Alibre or the file go away, they stop run
            End If
    End If

hgiug = bodiesCount

'Set the object variable to Nothing.
    Set fd = Nothing
End Sub
To preserve the original unedited files, first "save as", "Save all as" to a new folder before editing anything.
(Certainly if you run this it has potential to change files (configuration selection) - so don't save changes IMHO).
Another reason stuff like this doesn't get put out a lot :| .

If I had time, need or inclination a lot of "housekeeping" or review could be worked up using API's.
The nicest thing is that the "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications" Modules work in any of the office applications I expect.
The VB code for the eagle parts list(?), etc. is up to their API access and/or your inclination or code skills.

I don't know if other software can use the "AlibreX" API as well but I suppose that is how Wizoscript gets in.

So, for "inserting" the answer seems to be yes if the API('s) allow.

YMMV

simonb65

Alibre Super User
robertf said:
Thanks for the suggestion

I looked at the reference manual and I do not see any functions that add a part to an existing assembly.

I work with the API in C# as a standalone application that hooks into AlibreX and using C++ for an integrated Add-On. I can't detail specifics as both are forming commercial products (doing something similar to your project, except I create 3D PCB models from a number of manufacturing output formats and ECAD packages), but to answer your question (in c#, VB will be very similar) ...

Get the root object but connecting to a running session of Alibre Design (AlibreX). If Alibre Design is not running, then you can programatically start the process (not shown here!) ...

Code:
IAutomationHook hook = (IAutomationHook)Marshal.GetActiveObject("AlibreX.AutomationHook");
IADRoot root = (IADRoot)hook.Root;

Create a new assembly ...

Code:
IADAssemblySession assembly = root.CreateEmptyAssembly("Name of Assembly");

or open an existing one (not sure of the function from memory!!).

Code:
IADAssemblySession assembly = (IADAssemblySession)root.OpenFile(@"<assembly_file_name>.AD_ASM");

create a transform for the part you want to add to the opened assembly ...

Code:
IADTransformation transform = geometryFactory.CreateIdentityTransform();
transform = transform.Apply(geometryFactory.CreateTranslationTransformByXYZ(0.0, 0.0, 0.0));

If you need to rotate the part about an axis, you need to use the geometryFactory.CreateRotationTransform(...) function and apply that transform (1 for each axis). This function takes a direction vector (axis), rotation point and an angle of rotation ...

Code:
// Rotate about the x-axis
IADVector direction = geometryFactory.CreateVector(1.0, 0.0, 0.0);
IADPoint position = geometryFactory.CreatePoint(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
transform = transform.Apply(geometryFactory.CreateRotationTransform(direction, position, angle_in_radians);

Add the part as an occurence of the assembly whilsh applying the transform ...

Code:
IADOccurrence rootOccurance = assembly.RootOccurrence;
IADOccurrences occurances = rootOccurance.Occurrences;
Object obj = (Object)@"<full_filename_path_of_the_part_to_add>.AD_PRT";
IADOccurrence occurance = occurances.Add(ref obj, transform);

If you want to anchor the added part ...

Code:
occurance.IsAnchored = true;

Then just save the assembly ...

Code:
Object dir = (Object)@"<directory_path>";
assembly.SaveAs(ref dir, "<assembly_file_name>.AD_ASM");