What's new

API for importing coordinates as points

obrockmeier

API for importing coordinates as points

Hello,

Does anyone have some sample code for importing xyz coordinates as points or code that may be relatively easily modified to accomplish this?

rgds
Oivind

cclark440

Alibre Super User

I started working on a project to do just that.

But I had a problem, and since there is no support for the API I gave up.
At this point I am SO frustrated with Alibre I can't hardly see strait. I am not asking for in-depth instructions from them just simple questions to be answered. Every time I ask a question I am re-directed here, to this forum.

I feel that this is the first time that Alibre has really dropped the ball. Will they ever support the API? I mean really how hard would it be for a developer or two just to keep an eye on this forum.

Maybe someone out there can answer my latest question. I am trying to create a new sketch by following the example in Alibre’s API help file. I have laterally cut and pasted the code into the compiler and it won’t compile! It always hangs on this line:
Code:
objADPartSession = m_objADSession

The compiler tells me that that the “m_objADSession” is not defined. I have spent hours trying to figure out where this needs to be defined. I think it should be part of the Alibre object but I can’t find reference to it. Granted it has been awhile since I did anything in VB, but the examples should show you all required definitions.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I think that, when the more comprehensive API arrives with V9, there should be an API Assistant, in the same way that there's an Algor Assistant now.

Miles

modtek

Hello,

Please give more information.
(1)Are the co-ordinates of the point to be imported from a text file?
(2)What the points are going to be used for ? We have different point objects for different purposes (like IADPoints, IADDesignPoints etc.)

Regards,

modtek

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Hello,

I just noticed that Modtek posted here and thought it would be nice to share that he did an API proyect for us in a very professional manner. I would have no doubt in recommending his service.

Keep it up Parag (Modtek)!

Manu

I am also interested in importing coordinate data for text files. I am trying to model some path data consisting of 5000 points so, I could use a smaller sample but I will need to update the data once or twice so importing it is the only realistic method of data entry.

The data that i am working with is in the form of (absolute) X Y points in a tab delimited text file. I would like to import this data as a string of lines or a spline into a sketch.

I understand that Autocad allows importing of coordinate data as a native function. its a shame that Alibra dose not support this as I think a lot of people would find it useful.

Cheers,

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Manu

You can import XYZ points from a comma delimited text file into a 3D Sketch, if that helps. It will create a spline from the points, or join them with lines, if you want.

Manu

Thanks for your prompt reply, but if you dont mind me asking, How? there isn't anything in the help about it.

Cheers,

Manu

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Have a look in the "3D Sketching" chapter in the User Guide :wink:

I'm not surprised that you failed to find it in the Help files....it's under:
"3D Sketch Insert Nodes from File"

Manu

Thanks Miles :D that worked a treat.

It wont import 5000 points but 500 seems to work OK. shame its so hard to find in the help :wink:

Someone who figured it out

obrockmeier said:
Does anyone have some sample code for importing xyz coordinates as points or code that may be relatively easily modified to accomplish this?

As cryptic as the API looks and problems everyone is having...here is one guy who figured it out.

He has made an app that takes a sketch from AD and makes dovetail joints in the edge of the extrusion.

If he can do this...I'm sure he can write a simple app to open a text file containing x,y coordinates and stuff them into the sketch.

It would be nice to be able to spell out what type of sketch figure you want to connect the dots with.

http://www.alibre.com/xpress/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433

Steve

alexfranke

By the way, I sincerely hope I don't annoy anyone at Alibre by using the familiar Alibre icons. In case you're reading, please know that I'm 100% sold on Alibre and I am merely trying to make useful tools with a familiar GUI experience...

Cheers again,
Alex