What's new

API for SHCS

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
API for SHCS

This is a quick trial for generating socket head cap screws. I wrote it for those of us using the Xpress version.

It's metric coarse only at the moment, but I'll be adding more content as time allows.

Hmmm... I can't seem to upload the .zip to the Binaries forum, so here's a link to my server...

http://jcclark.boldlygoingnowhere.org/screw_selector.zip

Comments and suggestion are appreciated. Enjoy!

Regards,

Jordan

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Hi Miles,

I totally agree. Unforunately, chamfers are not yet supported in the API (at least according to the documentation). The command structure appears to be there, but just as bookmarks for future development.

:(

Regards,

Jordan

swertel

Alibre Super User

Why does it seem like the best API programmers only have the Express version?

First Alex, now Jordan. (Yes, I know there are others, but the ones making headlines on this forum are Express users.)

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Miles,

Yes. In fact, that was the original route that I was going to take, but there's just no support for it. I even tried the highly specialized "Alibre Automation Hammer" :twisted: , but that didn't work either.

Maybe a bigger hammer....

I think the reason that the programmers have express is that they don't have all the other nifty toys... :lol:

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Hi Jordan,

I meant simply drawn as a dimensioned 45 deg. line on the Sketch.

I haven't a clue about the API, my eyes glaze over at the site of a line of code.....

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Oh! More math stuff...

Consider it done! Well, not right this second, but you know what I mean. :oops:

I'm covering second shift engineering coverage this week, so I should be able to do it during the wee hours.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

:D

I guess you'd dimension it from a node on the "virtual corner", but I'll leave that to you... :wink:

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Ok, I put a 30 degree chamfer on the cap of the screw. Us the same link as above, and be sure to uninstall any previous copies.

FYI, the dimensions are taken from the Unbrako fastener catalog.

Regards,

Jordan

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Just for Miles... :)

Added knurling to the screws... it takes a few extra seconds to generate the entire part, but I'm the wait will be worth it...

Regards,

Jordan

cclark440

Alibre Super User

Hey Jordan

Have you tried coding the chanmfer yet? I know that there are new features in the API that haven't been documented yet.

If you are using a comipler with code completion there a serveral functions and properties that show up that aren't mentioned anywhere in the docs.

You obviously know what your doing, I just wanted to make sure you thought about that.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

So far, all of the existing docs are sayting that they are placeholders.

Which means that I'll probably try to do it anyway.

This chamfer was not such a big job, being that it was a little math, a little trig (making my brain hurt again), and one extra point for drawing lines.

Luckily a 30, 45, or 60 degree angles makes the math a breeze.

I'll let you know if I succeed in coding a chamfer

Regards,
Jordan

alexfranke

"new features in the API that haven't been documented yet"

Are there? I wonder if there was a new API with the latest AD update... JordanCClark is right though -- lots of stubs, and a few otherwise hidden gems, but exploring those can be quite frustrating at times =)

JordanCClark, let me know if you want any help with your chamfers.

Cheers,
Alex

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

When designing HMI's , the bells and whistles are nice, but all an operator really needs is a big green button saying "Go" and a big red one saying "Not Go".... :)

Regards,

Jordan