What's new

Arc between two points with a specific depth [solved]

Sorry, not sure how to describe it. I need to create an arc between the two upper points, where the lowest portion should be 3.75" from the bottom line.
1681928590329.png
and I can't figure out how to do it.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Draw your arc using 3 Points (Start, End, Radius), first 2 clicks will be the 2 upper points you already have drawn, 3rd click to set radius can be broadly anywhere as long as the arc is curved in the right direction & above your bottom line.

Dimension tool, click the bottom line first and the arc second. In the Slot Dimension Options popup, choose "Line To Inside". Place the dimension and edit it to 3.75

arc1.pngarc2.png

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
No prob. I use that Slot Dimension tool all the time, it's a powerful piece & relatively easy to understand if you take a minute to study the diagrams. And of course, regular practice.

Couple of hints:

-Always click the line (or point) first and the arc second. You can do the reverse but Alibre will assume the centerpoint of the arc & ignore the Slot Dimension tool (which may or may not be useful depending on what you're drawing)

-"Inside" and "Outside" refer to where the centerpoint of the curve is relative to your first reference. If the arc is closer to the line than to its own centerpoint, it's considered Inside. Choosing Outside in this case will point the dimension to a nonexistant far side of the circle that your arc would've created if it were whole (which isn't typically used, but good to know)

-When dimensioning between two arcs, the dropdown menu refers to the first thing you clicked on, followed by the second

-Also, I don't know if this was intentional, but of the 12 (!) options you're given for two arcs, you'll probably be using Center To Center, Inside Slot, and Outside Slot the most. Conveniently, Center To Center is preselected by default, Inside Slot is exactly one scroll wheel tick down, and if you buzz your scroll wheel up to the top of the list, you'll quickly find Outside Slot

arc3.png

Last edited: