What's new

Arced slots

SquibLoad

I'm hoping some of you more expert users can shed some light on a basic question I have, please.

I've looked for a method of creating simple arced slots, typically for a polar pattern, and I seem to be overlooking some simple method to do so.

I can certainly create an arched slot relatively easily by several different 'longhand' methods, but I suspect there is an easier way within AD that I seem to be overlooking.

The longhand methods with constrained arcs, tangents, etc. work fine to create arched slots, but most CAD packages that I've been exposed to have some sort of tool for creating these quite easily (SW, F360, etc.). Seems like an oversight in AD if that capability is missing.

I'm hoping I'm just being a dummy and overlooking the correct tool.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for any responses.

I'm hoping some of you more expert users can shed some light on a basic question I have, please.

I've looked for a method of creating simple arced slots, typically for a polar pattern, and I seem to be overlooking some simple method to do so.

I can certainly create an arched slot relatively easily by several different 'longhand' methods, but I suspect there is an easier way within AD that I seem to be overlooking.

The longhand methods with constrained arcs, tangents, etc. work fine to create arched slots, but most CAD packages that I've been exposed to have some sort of tool for creating these quite easily (SW, F360, etc.). Seems like an oversight in AD if that capability is missing.

I'm hoping I'm just being a dummy and overlooking the correct tool.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for any responses.
Squib -- Can youpost an image or 2D Drawing of what you want to accomplis? I make annular slots with fair regularity.

SquibLoad

ArcedSlot.JPG
Squib -- Can youpost an image or 2D Drawing of what you want to accomplis? I make annular slots with fair regularity.

Thanks for your interest. Here's two fairly typical examples, as short slot and a longer slot. These might be replicated in a polar pattern around a center.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It looks like you'll be staying with your "long-hand" method. AD doesn't have a curved slot tool, even in the Shapes library, that will make your job easier.
Although, you could define a set of curved slots as Library Features. Once defined and saved they can be reused and edited to some extent.

You may want to submit curved slots as a feature request. I'm sure it will get a few votes, mine for sure.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
... pity you get the open sketch warning even though its a valid operation.

The much requested 'Psychic Analysis' should sort that out - this feature will understand which 3D feature you will apply to the sketch, and modify the sketch analysis accordingly, the advanced version (limited to Expert) will know this even before the user is sure.

Until that feature becomes available, you could turn off 'Automatically analyse sketch' in system options -> parts/assemblies -> sketching.

SquibLoad

Draw an arc (single line) and use thin extruded cut!

Brilliant!

That's a great workaround for the lack of an arced slot tool.
The 'thin extrude' method is quite easy and workable, and not a method that had occurred to me.

Thanks to all that replied!

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Ralp & Oldbelt.
Happy both of you are back in the forum. Your contribution is very welcome.
Regards,
GIOV

SquibLoad

Workaround? How is that a workaround? Its the most straightforward approach.

My apologies, I did not mean to imply that it was a substandard solution.

It is a useful technique, and I thank you for that.
I had not though of that method myself, and I'm grateful for your added insight.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
How are you gettting the rounded ends on them using that method? or do I have to create a fillet?

(EDIT: Haven't upgraded to newest version yet so I cannot open the attached files)

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Yeah you fillet the ends. This method is really handy as it is really simple edit the sketch and of course you can use any shape you like eg. s-shape, splines, square, whatever. Quick and easy.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Yeah you fillet the ends. This method is really handy as it is really simple edit the sketch and of course you can use any shape you like eg. s-shape, splines, square, whatever. Quick and easy.
So, just stepping back for a moment, why do we have a separate tool for things like Obround Shape if that's just a straight line, thin cut extruded with a few fillets?

I think where @SquibLoad is coming from, and that what you describe @bigseb is perfectly fine, BUT, a tool that automates all of those steps (i.e. Obround) is easier and can be more productive to use, especially if you want to do something like a round slot in a pattern. As patterns are also an integral part of the Shape Tool suite.

Not saying there is a wrong or a right way, just saying there can be more consistent and productive ways.