What's new

Architecture, Stone and ZBrush

Martinm

Hello everyone,

this is a project I did some time ago. Somehow I stumbled across the gorgeous stone carvings by Matthew Simmonds: http://www.mattsimmonds.com/gallery_1.html
I immediately had the idea to re-create one of those for 3D printing and chose the "Romanesque Stone" http://www.mattsimmonds.com/romanesque_stone.html as it seemed a bit easier to guess the correct dimensions.
So this is my interpretation of his work:
Romanesque4.jpg

Romanesque3.jpg

Romanesque2.jpg

Romanesque1.jpg

Printing took around 40h on an Prusa MK2S and went through uneventfully.

Some behind-the-scenes screenshots: I modeled the architectural part in Alibre. Somehow I decided to make this thing as single part, which in the end was not too clever as there is no easy way to copy features like columns or stairs:
Alibre.png

This was rather straightforward, the only difficulty being to guess the correct dimensions.
By far the most effort went into making a halfway realistic and printable stone structure. I used ZBrush and watched hours of stone modeling tutorials, installed countless rock alphas and in the end came up with this rock:

rock.png

It took a few experiments to find out what level of detail would still be printable. The capitals are also modeled in ZBrush, also the low printer resolution did not allow for a more intricate design:
Kapitell.png

In the end, I exported the architectural model from Alibre and did a boolean intersection with the stone, creating the final printing model:

ZBrush1.png

The monk sitting on the stairs in the ZBrush demo soldier with a cloak instead of his army vest.

- Martin

DBC

That is very impressive Martin, quite a labor of love I would say.

I am curious as to the total height of the model and as to whether or not it required internal supports while printing?

Martinm

It's 200 mm tall (I scaled it to fit into the printer).
There were tons of support structures and it was quite a mess to clean the vaults... unfortunately I did not take pictures after printing.
slicer.png

The monk is 18 mm and was rather difficult to print because of his tiny size.

monk.png

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Amazing work.

How did you combine the stonework with the Alibre model? Was this done using Geomagic (when one could still import stl's) or in something else like Blender or Meshlab?

Martinm

I exported the model as STL from Alibre and imported that into ZBrush. I had to play a bit with the STL export settings to give ZBrush reasonable triangle sizes to work with. In the meantime they brought out an improved remeshing algorithm that might handle straight edge non-organic meshes better.
Combining those meshes is done in ZBrush:
ZBrush2.png

It's a union of all sub-elements (room, capitals) and then an intersection with the rock sculpt. So final processing is all ZBrush. Alibre unfortunately removed STL import...

If you look closely at the mesh (see full res picture) you can see that ZBrush (at that version) did not like straight edges and threw an odd triangle in the corners now and then:
ZBrush3.png
IIRC I also reduced the mesh size from 14M to 3M triangles to speed up slicer processing.

Last edited: