What's new

Are there no "configurations" in Alibre?

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

The different configurations in a part allow you to have different values for variables (eg dimensions) to produce a family of different size and shape parts within the one design file. Also features could be suppressed or activated.
For example you could have one file that contained all lengths and diameters of hexagon socket cap head screw and torx socket head screws. The different lengths and diameters covered by changing the dimensions and the different socket type by supressing one feature and activating another. A different Bom part number and description being assigned to each configuration.
When you add that part into an assembly you are prompted for which configuration you want.

The different configurations of an assembly can have different values for assembly constraints, or the assembly constraints could be supressed*, different parts could be visible or not visible, or the parts themselves could have different configurations called (eg a spring extended or compressed). This allows you to use configs to show different positions of an articulating assembly, or different builds of your assembly (extra rungs in a longer ladder for example).
In the case of different builds you probably need the bom to be able to call up the different builds with several QTY columns.

*Can assembly constraints be suppressed in Alibre? This is necessary to show a cam and follower in different positions for example.

so there are many ways that configs could be part introduced with not all the things you ewant to vary available in the configs, or things that you want to be different in the BOM ending up not changing. So I'm sort of glad Alibre haven't rushed the configs thing!

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Scott, Moyesboy,

Thanks for the input. I think configurations are smething I would have wished for before if I had known what they were :wink:

I'm glad V9.0 will have the feature...

Meanwhile, may the force be with you

rbrian

configurations and assemblies

I work at Bombardier Dehaviland as an Aircraft Assembler. I was laid off for a while - and was on a temporary re-call in Dec 04-Jan 05. In that time - I worked on the skin panels for the Dash-8 'Q-Series' Aircraft On one job - the drawings - Releases 'A' - thru 'D' or some such were on our bench. I had some small brakets in out kit to install - some sheet metal ones and some machined ones.

The thing is - the 'Q' series uses 'NVS' Noise Vibration Suppression - a sophisticated Anti-Harmonic system to cancel noice in the airframe caused by Props, wind, etc. As such - it used devices installed on the panels that did not exist on older / earlier version of the Dash-8 product. This is a 'Version' issue - one that not getting it right can cause one to install the older brakets (sheet metal) in some frames /stringer locations instead of the new machined ones.

This is where using the right Version - is critical and can save the replacement of a frame since the holes of the two brakets are not in the same places. I wonder if this is a correct point to post in this forum thread? - Hope so. Robert

PS: - Gaspar - Algor is up to 64 Bit with V19! - Does this bode well for more pressue on AD to move there too? We will see!

PPS: - As to my work - I am back on - full time recall - since May of 05, working on the Lear 45 Wing - Leading Edges!

MagneO

Rbrian,

Your comments are correct but it is important to distinguish between configurations from a CAD or design point of view and configurations from a manufacturing/product history point of view.

1) Alibre will in the future have configuration possibilities. This basically involves having the possibilty to design a number of different product variants from a generic or master model.

2) Configuartion management as it is apparently called in the english speaking world is also the prosess of maintaining a system in your product structure and history. Basically have a BOM database with history. This is of course a major issue but not directly linked to what the configurations abilities in Alibre will be since there is no PDM (Product Data Managament) functonallity to speak of (Alibre is a CAD system).

Best Regards,

MagneO