What's new

Assembly constraint offsets reverted to 0(Zero)

Had An assembly with 2 configurations. Closed assembly, opened assembly got message error with assembly ( not the error code message just the text notepad looking one). Assembly opened but all constraint offsets on configuration 2 were reverted to 0.00, it was a lovely mess. Remembered this had happened awhile back with another multiple config assembly (maybe 1 1/2 yrs ago). I deleted config 1 (not going to build that one) and corrected all the offsets. Opens fine now. Has anyone had this issue. Should I consider just doing a save as on assemblies and not use configs on assemblies? Kinda defeats the purpose of configs. Wasn't a large assembly maybe 70-80 parts including sub assembly parts.

Dave,

Without opening my system to a multi-configuration model (i.e. going off the top of my head), your problem is that you have not locked the models to prevent changes in configuration 1 from affecting configuration 2.

I often use Equation Editor values (say -- Tip_Offset_1 and Tip_Offset_2, etc.) to control such values. This allows me to edit things quickly and easily without having to roll-back the dogbone in the design tree. If you go over to http://www.GrabCAD.com and look for coil spring and hairpin torsion spring (both posted by me), you will see a rather extensive system of using Equation Editor values to control multiple configurations.

indesign

Alibre Super User
The problem may not have been locking of the configs. There is another issue I did run across and was under pressure to finish so I had to split into two files. I am really sure it was a bug but I just did not take the time to reproduce it. What appeared to happen (one config locked the other editing) the value changed in one config and showed it remained unchanged int he locked one. After saving and later opening again the value of the data in the locked config had changed and caused errors.

So yes I did see this behavior but I have yet to attempt to recreate it.

Thanks guys.
I check into the locking scenario, I thought I locked everything, but not 100% sure. If it happens again I'll check the Config locks first.