What's new

Assembly not refreshing

WillB

I have a top level assembly that is not refreshing as it should. The subassemblies are all OK. Top pic is sub bottom is finalCapture.JPG Capture2.JPG

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Did you have the top level assembly and the sub-assembly open in separate sessions when updating the sub assembly? If you did, the top level assembly won't show the changes as it is working from the files loaded into memory before the edit.

Closing and re-opening the top level assembly should update it (as long as you don't save the top level assembly over the top of the changes made to the sub assembly).

You may want to explore the use of 'Edit Here' and 'Edit in Separate Window'.

WillB

Yes I was using edit in separate window and tried refreshing the assembly using regenerate all. Also I did close and reopen several times

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not clear why you would do that.

The procedure for 'edit in separate window' is - make the edits in the separate window, then close that window (no need to save). After closing the separate window, the main assembly should show the changes.

Save is done from the main assembly, and will also save the edits that were done in separate window.

WillB

Okay evidently I wasn't quite clear enough in my explanation. I did the edit in separate window and the assembly did not update. I then saved my changes and reopened the assembly and it still didn't refresh

JST

Alibre Super User
The "edit here" is often too confusing to use. "Edit in separate window" is pretty much equivalent to closing main, opening sub, editing it, and saving before opening main again.

Because of long Alibre use, I am accustomed to closing main and re-opening as update, so I do not always use the "separate window". With large assemblies, it becomes painfully obvious which is easier, however....