What's new

Assembly only sometimes update with changes made in other open windows

Coaltar

Hi,
I have watched the top assembly not update mostly but sometimes it does update when I make a change to an opened-for-editing sub assembly.What determines if the top level assemblies update? I am having the close the top level assembly to see changes.
Thanks

simonb65

Alibre Super User
When you have the Assembly open, how are you 'starting' to edit a part? Do you open the part file from the Home Window or Windows Explorer, or do you use the RMB and 'Edit Here', 'Edit in Separate Window' options from inside the assembly?

1649877918926.png

The assembly will only update if you do the latter. If you do the former, the assembly doesn't know that you've edited one of it's parts! It will only know when it loads the assembly (i.e. close and re-open).

dwc

Alibre Super User
Be sure to open the sub assemblies from the top level with "Edit Here" or "Edit in separate Window". Any changes made will then show up in the top level.
If you open the sub assemblies separately the top level does not know they are open or about any changes made so the update only happens when the sub assemblies are saved and the top level reloaded.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Be sure to open the sub assemblies from the top level with "Edit Here" or "Edit in separate Window". Any changes made will then show up in the top level.
If you open the sub assemblies separately the top level does not know they are open or about any changes made so the update only happens when the sub assemblies are saved and the top level reloaded.

I have a related question.

If I edit parts or subassemblies by opening them in a separate window, then hit the "regenerate button in the assembly window nothing happens.

I expected that after editing a part in a separate window, then hitting "regenerate" in the assembly window, that the assembly would update to include the edited part. If not, what does the "regenerate" button do?

Coaltar

When you have the Assembly open, how are you 'starting' to edit a part? Do you open the part file from the Home Window or Windows Explorer, or do you use the RMB and 'Edit Here', 'Edit in Separate Window' options from inside the assembly?

View attachment 35839

The assembly will only update if you do the latter. If you do the former, the assembly doesn't know that you've edited one of it's parts! It will only know when it loads the assembly (i.e. close and re-open).
Thanks for the help. I never use Edit Here. So the solution is to Edit Here or Edit in Separate Window? If either are selected you can see the real-time updates in the assembly. Is that correct? Thanks

simonb65

Alibre Super User
So the solution is to Edit Here or Edit in Separate Window?
Yes. If you have an assembly open, this if the ONLY way you should be doing sub-part editing.

If either are selected you can see the real-time updates in the assembly. Is that correct?
No, you only see updates when you close the edited part window (if you edited in a separate window), or if you edit here you need to click on the assembly at the top of the design explorer and select edit assembly to get it back into assembly mode. Either way, you will be asked to save you changes automatically.

Briggs

I opened a ticket on this exact issue. Was surprised more users are not having the same issue, because my problem with this started after the latest update, and I have never encountered this previously in all the years I have been using Alibre. I always open the sub assemblies from the top level with "Edit Here" or "Edit in separate Window". Here's what usually happens to me, especially on files that have a number of imported .step files. (it has happened to me on simple assembly files, complex files, and files with and without imported .step files, FYI) I usually edit the files from "Edit in separate window". After closing the window I come back to the assembly file and the part I was just editing occasionally loses it's constraints. If you select the constraint it will properly highlight what two features are supposed to be constrained. My solution? I immediately edit the part using the "Edit Here" command. Then I immediately get out of the edit by clicking on the file in the explorer. And just like magic, the parts snap back into place. You could close the assembly file and reopen too.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
After closing the window I come back to the assembly file and the part I was just editing occasionally loses it's constraints.
The assembly will loose constrains IF ...

a) the dog bone isn't at the bottom of the part feature explorer before you exit the part
AND/OR
b) you changed the part so the item (edge, face, etc) referenced by the constraint no longer exists or has changed its underlying unique id!

For a) do a regenerate all in the part (F5) before you exit editing the part OR just set the option in part properties to do this automatically for you so you don't forget.

I do have to add that the process of going back to the assembly, is not intuitive, especially for new users, and it has changed in recent releases.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I have a related question.

If I edit parts or subassemblies by opening them in a separate window, then hit the "regenerate button in the assembly window nothing happens.

I expected that after editing a part in a separate window, then hitting "regenerate" in the assembly window, that the assembly would update to include the edited part. If not, what does the "regenerate" button do?

For some clarity around this topic:

If you want to edit stuff with an assembly open and see the changes in the assembly immediately
You must either:
- Right-click the target object's node in the Design Explorer and click Edit Here or
- Right-click the target object's node in the Design Explorer and click Edit in Separate Window

Opening a part/subassy file standalone, modifying it, and saving it will not be reflected in an assembly if you opened the assembly before editing the part in this way. At that point, the only option is to close and reopen the assembly.

Regenerating
Assemblies, like parts, have things that have to be evaluated. Things like constraints, patterns, mirrors, booleans, etc. Regenerating re-evaluates these items. Regenerating does not pull every part file fresh from the file system (such that your separately edited part would now be reflected). Perhaps a command to do that should be created.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
For some clarity around this topic:

If you want to edit stuff with an assembly open and see the changes in the assembly immediately
You must either:
- Right-click the target object's node in the Design Explorer and click Edit Here or
- Right-click the target object's node in the Design Explorer and click Edit in Separate Window

Opening a part/subassy file standalone, modifying it, and saving it will not be reflected in an assembly if you opened the assembly before editing the part in this way. At that point, the only option is to close and reopen the assembly.

Regenerating
Assemblies, like parts, have things that have to be evaluated. Things like constraints, patterns, mirrors, booleans, etc. Regenerating re-evaluates these items. Regenerating does not pull every part file fresh from the file system (such that your separately edited part would now be reflected). Perhaps a command to do that should be created.

Thanks for the info Max, I appreciate it.

A command button on the ribbon to refresh the assembly from the saved files would be nice.

I have a habit of keeping lots of part files open, sometimes as many as a dozen or more and moving back and forth between them editing, then saving. I end up closing and reopening the assembly frequently to apply the edits, so I can measure clearances and check/edit, based on the interactions of various parts within the assembly.

dwc

Alibre Super User
I have a habit of keeping lots of part files open, sometimes as many as a dozen or more and moving back and forth between them editing, then saving. I end up closing and reopening the assembly frequently to apply the edits, so I can measure clearances and check/edit, based on the interactions of various parts within the assembly.
I do the same, the only habit you need to change is to open all those parts from the assembly with edit here or in a separate window. Then it all works as you wish.

Briggs

I would add the following to what Max said.

If you want to edit a part within an assembly (assuming the assembly file is open), regardless of if you use Edit Here, or if you use Edit in Separate Window, and if you want to restore the constraints you might have lost after editing the part, then follow this procedure:

option1: close the assembly file and reopen. (slowest method)
option 2: follow the procedure below (which is what I do because it only takes a few seconds)

- Right click Edit Here on the part you JUST EDITED (the second you do this you will see your parts snap back to their constrained positions if you moved them after editing them)
-Then, immediately back out of this operation by going to the design explorer, then right click on the part name you are editing, then select the top most menu item (Edit Part/Subassembly). This will return you to your assembly file and let you continue to work. Hit save if you want, no need to though.

Note: regeneration does not restore the constraints after editing a part within an assembly file, at least not for me. I have assembly files that always loose constraints after editing a part, and other assembly files that don't. It does seem to happen more with complex assemblies and ones with lots of imported step files (although I'm not editing those, just the parts I create). Again, this was never an issue prior to V24. The work around solves my problem. I should also say I very much value this CAD software. It just works for me, aside from this little issue.

Acara

@Max Are there plans to implement something to do this like a forced rebuild in version 26? I just ran into this problem being newer with the software.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Acara - v26 is nearing completion, too late to add new wishes to the 'to do' list.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Please note (if not obvious from the information posted by others above) - opening constituent part file separately whilst the parent assembly is open has a serious drawback.

If you edit a part, save it, close file and then later save the assembly - this can override the changes that you made earlier in the part, resulting in loss of work.

While this discussion does a lot to explain some of the update issues I'm having as a new user, it doesn't explain them all. For instance, opening the global parameters file first, not editing it, then open an existing part that references the parameters file. Editing the parameters file at this point does not always update the part, it seems to be a little hit or miss and I cannot determine a consistent condition for this. To be sure it is most likely a new user issue.

As a user of many different cad programs, both high end professional and home use, I'm very pleased with Alibre v25. However, the inter-part relations and updates are a little weak in reference to stability, but are very welcome features.

Acara

Please note (if not obvious from the information posted by others above) - opening constituent part file separately whilst the parent assembly is open has a serious drawback.

If you edit a part, save it, close file and then later save the assembly - this can override the changes that you made earlier in the part, resulting in loss of work.

I was hoping that maybe it could be introduced in a service pack or at least maybe version 27. I created a poll in the suggestions section in the forum .