What's new

Assembly simulation with Design Expert V23

srjacob

I know in the past that Design Expert came with simulation tools, but try as I might, I can't find any. Did they discontinue this?

I am trying to do some motion and fea analysis on an assembly.

Steve

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I believe there was Simwise a while back. Not sure of that's still a thing. Can't really recommend it tbh. Complicated, terrible support and expensive for what it is imo. A single node-locked license costs €3495. To much for someone like me that really just wants to animate some assemblies.

The old Alibre Motion from way back was perfect for my needs. So sad that was axed. I know there were issues with it but wouldn't mind seeing that return.

srjacob

I thought so. So sad. I keep debating whether to renew my maintenance since there has been nothing in V23 and V24 that is of any use to me besides a few bug fixes (which I can get around).

Also, see my post in the 3D printing section. How is your new printer working out?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I thought so. So sad. I keep debating whether to renew my maintenance since there has been nothing in V23 and V24 that is of any use to me besides a few bug fixes (which I can get around).
To be fair CAD packages that have an included motion bundle tend to cost a LOT more. So in that sense AD is still fantastic value for money. Also they are doing a lot of work to the software, it's not like it's been stagnating. Honestly there have been a lot of improvements to AD in the last few versions that point in the right direction.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Also, see my post in the 3D printing section. How is your new printer working out?
Saw it and responded. My new printer is being modded. And somehow I have managed to 'over-engineer' a mounting bracket for new new hot end.

Perfection takes time, know what I'm saying... :cool:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I'm sad we never got Motion 2
Wasn't there a Motion 2 in the works that very abruptly disappeared? Can't quite remeber the details, this is a about decade ago...

Note to the Alibre team: if there is any way to revive the old Motion code and put it back into the current AD I would be very grateful.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Wasn't there a Motion 2 in the works that very abruptly disappeared? Can't quite remeber the details, this is a about decade ago...

Note to the Alibre team: if there is any way to revive the old Motion code and put it back into the current AD I would be very grateful.

This!!!

MilesH

Alibre Super User
It looks good but why not list the price on the website? :mad:
Because it's not a standalone program?

BTW, Simwise Motion for Alibre is only a few hundred dollars. Incredible value, if you can handle the interface...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simlab Composer Mechanical is another possible option at relatively modest cost, if you need more motion than can be handled by AD.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Simwise does just motion, or motion with FEA. The addition of FEA does bump the cost up considerably.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Usually means it is a lot more than you can afford or are willing to pay. Or worse, maybe they want to qualify you to see what they can get out of you.
They shouldn't just assume that though.

I contacted 'a CAM software vendor' for a price recently and a day later a get an email telling me to get in touch with a sales person to discuss my needs. But I have no interest in getting into details about what I want to use it for, I just need a ballpark figure. And let's be honest, once you reach out to a sales person then you're on their radar and get the 'just taking a moment to touch base emails' that I really don't want. Life's too short.

These days you can buy just about anything online. Quick and easy and no fuss. Why so many CADCAM vendors aren't getting this is beyond me.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
And let's be honest, once you reach out to a sales person then you're on their radar and get the 'just taking a moment to touch base emails' that I really don't want. Life's too short.
I would set up a rule in my email to send those to the spam folder so wouldn't have to see them.