What's new

Associative editing of part in assembly not working

tgarson

I used to be able to transfer features (holes, mostly) from one part to another in an assembly, using Project to Sketch and extrude cut. After a Save As, they would show up in the effected parts new file which would then be used in subsequent fabrication processes. No more. I have unproductively wasted many hours tried everything I could think of and, while the holes show up when I load the assembly, they are not there when I load the part. I have searched through the mostly obsolete Help files (Most still refer to Geomagic) without benefit. This is either a major, major bug, or you have hidden the method of doing this so well I can't find it!

So far Alibre 21 has offered me nothing new in the way of function and seemingly lost some capabilities. It has created a whole new unasked for learning experience as user interaction is significantly altered from previous versions. I am having additional problems with announced features that don't work, but I'll stick with getting this particular one dealt with for now.

PS:
I am an Alibre user since version 8. A tool is only as good at how productive it makes you. Unasked for interface alterations do not make for good productivity. Moving to 64 bit is no excuse for sneaking in "cute" stuff that a programmer just has to add 'cause he/she can. Stop tinkering with features, fix the ____ bugs and update the documentation. We are not gamers. DON'T BE LIKE MICROSOFT!

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Sounds to me like you are editing the assembly when making the sketch and cut extrude - A feature added a while back for people who stack and drill multiple parts at the time of assembly.

To have the holes in the part pre-assembly - you must first right click on the part and click "Edit Here" before creating your sketch and cut extrude.

tgarson

No need to upload a file. Nate hit it on the head. I needed to "Edit Here FIRST and THEN Project to Sketch and Cut. Worked perfectly. Now, I'm going to live dangerously and try the same thing with two sheet metal parts, one with and one (currently) without holes.