What's new

Atom 3D newbie baffled by inspection results

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Ah! :), ok, I understand now.

Unfortunately, I just had a chore pop up, so I'll be out for about an hour.

If one of our other members hasnt helped you out by the time I get back, I'll do up another video for you.

TwinStar

No rush, at all. I'll be in the air for the next few hours anyway. This evening I'm going to modify my file to mirror what you did and clean things up.

Thanks again,

Jacob

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
First things first: If you want the result to be an assembly of multiple parts - Then you should make them an assembly of separate parts instead of all in one part.

However: If you still want to make it all as one part the best way imho would be to:
Make the outer channel A shape in one sketch similar to your original and extrude but change type to mid plane.
Then make the inside of the channel sketch and cut extrude it.
Then make your brace sketch similar to your original and extrude the width that fits inside the channels but change type to mid plane.

TwinStar

First things first: If you want the result to be an assembly of multiple parts - Then you should make them an assembly of separate parts instead of all in one part.

However: If you still want to make it all as one part the best way imho would be to:
Make the outer channel A shape in one sketch similar to your original and extrude but change type to mid plane.
Then make the inside of the channel sketch and cut extrude it.
Then make your brace sketch similar to your original and extrude the width that fits inside the channels but change type to mid plane.

Nate, thanks for the input. The concept of mirroring is new but I'm trying to catch on. Yes, this needs to be a single component. This will be 3D printed in a castable resin and then sent to a foundry to be cast in brass.

Jacob

TwinStar

Ken, I left my C channel as is since I think your method would have cutout the material inside the C. I'll practice with technique though. Now its time for linear pattern fun.

Jacob

TwinStar

When I applied the mirror extrude cut it left the original lines from the feature. This is giving me an error message when I try to apply a filet. I know there has to be an easy way to clean this up but I haven't been able to find it yet.

Jacob

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-16 114559.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-16 114559.png
    189.6 KB · Views: 5

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I would recommend you take the info youv've learned so far, and start over.

Follow Nates advice, and start with the A frame only, doing a midplane extrude to create the feature.

Then create a second midplane sketch/extrude to create the crossmembers.

TwinStar

I would recommend you take the info youv've learned so far, and start over.

Follow Nates advice, and start with the A frame only, doing a midplane extrude to create the feature.

Then create a second midplane sketch/extrude to create the crossmembers.

Agreed. I'll start over with this design.

Jacob

TwinStar

@TwinStar, Have you had a chance to got through the training videos on the Resources/Training page accessible from the Alibre web site.?

This is in the section for Alibre Design Training but would still benefit an Atom3D user.
View attachment 38920

Here is the video training series that I went through.

I'll watch the video you posted now.

Jacob

TwinStar

Add the horizontal crossmembers using midplane extrusion and mirror.

Jacob

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-20 170429.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-20 170429.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 3

TwinStar

Now I'm here trying to determine the best way to draw the diagonal braces.

Jacob

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-20 171827.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-20 171827.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 1