What's new

AtomFem? Open source Fem - based on devDept Eyeshot V10

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I would suggest you to evaluate PrePoMax software which provides GUI for Calculix solver. If you could program a connector/integrator for Alibre where users could directly export their models into the PrePoMax, I think it would be really nice.
In my opinion, trying to create the FEM from scratch would be a tedious and time consuming job.
Not much of an experience with it, however I did watch their playlist on Youtube to get its gist and to have general understanding of its workflow. There is plenty of material to start out there. I guess it is open source software led by academists.
Project Requirements (as of 04-22-2024)
Scripting & Automation
.NET Language
- C#
- F#
- VB
devDept Eyeshot V10 - V2024
- FEM mesher and solver engines
- 3D graphics control
.NET Versions
- net481
- net8.0+
Simple Systems
- GUI
- CLI
- Plugins
- Skins
Syncfusion UI Controls
- Examples:
- PDF viewer
- Treeview
- Ribbon
- Toolbar
- Datagrids
- PropertyGrid
Easy
- Build
- Develop
- Test
- Maintenance

I don't see many C# integrations or examples for Caluclix.
Two plugins:

Thanks for the info!

SergioP.

I would suggest you to evaluate PrePoMax software which provides GUI for Calculix solver. If you could program a connector/integrator for Alibre where users could directly export their models into the PrePoMax, I think it would be really nice.
In my opinion, trying to create the FEM from scratch would be a tedious and time consuming job.

You can export your Alibre models to Prepomax saving as STEP

SergioP.

Do you have experience using PrePoMax?
I have experience using PrePoMax, you only need to export your geometries from Alibre as STEP and then load in Prepomax. Then in Prepomax is as with any FEA program, you define your mesh, material, boundary conditions, loads and solve. It have also an advisor mode where it guides you to perform some basic simulations, but this advisor mode is very very nice, I suggest you to try it by your self.

As other user says, trying to create the FEM from scratch would be a tedious and time consuming job... but this would be the case for creating a tool related to static/dynamic./thermal solver, as is CalculiX, there are several programs that today can do that very well such as FreeCAD, Prepomax, Mecway.... but making impact or crash simulations with OpenRadioss? None, there are now a lack of a usefull preprocessor for that kind of simulations.

Last edited:

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I have experience using PrePoMax, you only need to export your geometries from Alibre as STEP and then load in Prepomax. Then in Prepomax is as with any FEA program, you define your mesh, material, boundary conditions, loads and solve. It have also an advisor mode where it guides you to perform some basic simulations, but this advisor mode is very very nice, I suggest you to try it by your self.
PrePoMax + OpenRadioss?

SergioP.

PrePoMax + OpenRadioss?

Prepomax now is a preprocessor for Calculix... but if you manage to join to the Prepomax team and add support to other solvers as OpenRadioss or Code_Aster you will became a hero!

All solver are more or less the same, they need an input file with the mesh and bc, so the preprocessor has a part of the program that allow the user to create that based on the geometry or mesh, and then other part of the program that translate this model to the solver language. Then the preprocessor pass the input file to the solver that create a result file. The last step that the preprocessor made is0 translate the solver output to their own language to visualize the results.

Last edited:

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Prepomax now is a preprocessor for Calculix... but if you manage to join to the Prepomax team and add support to other solvers as OpenRadioss you will became a hero!
I have no idea what's happening in the world of FEA/FEM. Would you recommend that I clone the FEM process part of Prepomax?

SergioP.

I have no idea what's happening in the world of FEA/FEM. Would you recommend that I clone the FEM process part of Prepomax?

Seriouly, I don´t understand how you will do a propper FEA program without knowing a lot of FEA, and the internals of the solver that you want to use. All the programmers that I know that they made a preprocessor, they where very power users of the solver (and not only one, several solvers and preprocessors) before trying to write a program to manage it.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Seriouly, I don´t understand how you will do a propper FEA program without knowing a lot of FEA, and the internals of the solver that you want to use. All the programmers that I know that they made a preprocessor, they where very power users of the solver (and not only one, several solvers and preprocessors) before trying to write a program to manage it.
I work with FEM for CGI and CAD work. SideFx Houdini's FEM solver and Blender Sim are examples. I understand the tech. I worked as a structural designer and a tool designer. I understand the FEM/FEA process. My role here is as app developer not FEM/FEA engineer. devDept component handles all the FEM tasks. I'll hire an FEM/FEA engineer at some point if needed. This is all to understand things in the context of Alibre.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I'm referring to the news and what is being released. And I'm asking is the features you like is something that I should add, you stated it was nice. I know I have my work cut out. This is not a commercial project or a project by an open source team.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Prepomax now is a preprocessor for Calculix... but if you manage to join to the Prepomax team and add support to other solvers as OpenRadioss or Code_Aster you will became a hero!

All solver are more or less the same, they need an input file with the mesh and bc, so the preprocessor has a part of the program that allow the user to create that based on the geometry or mesh, and then other part of the program that translate this model to the solver language. Then the preprocessor pass the input file to the solver that create a result file. The last step that the preprocessor made is0 translate the solver output to their own language to visualize the results.
The PrePoMax & CalculiX - Advisor is similar to Solidworks SimulationXpress.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
The final point is that the devDept CAD component handles both the FEM Mesher and Solver.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
My goal in this thread is to share thoughts on building an FEM app that is easy to learn and use with AD, rather than creating a pro grade FEM/FEA application for experts.

tyc

I have experience using PrePoMax, you only need to export your geometries from Alibre as STEP and then load in Prepomax.

Yes, you can export and import as Step being exchange format. I was hoping there would be kind of a bridging software where you don't have to export and import, rather the model in Alibre reflected directly to the Prepomax. As soon as you export stuff, they aren't parametric anymore, which means the link to the original design is broken.

Having a bridging layer like this, at least in my point of view, would allow users to iterate design if there is a need for design change as per FEA results.

I'm not saying anything like this would be possible in any easy way, just throwing ideas into the space and hoping someone has skills and desire to implement them.