What's new

Automatic render a part name from dimentions

Lucasch

Can Alibre make BOM list which lists parts name from dimentions. For example in Inventor I can write "=Plate <a>x<b>x<c>" pattern which get a, b and c parameters from Fx and automatic make a part name .

Lucasch

unfortunately it isn't possible to connect 2 or 3 dimensions in one parameter. It only show value separately in each columns.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Equation editor
D1+D2+D3 = D4 ( Value with one parameter)
BOM -> D4 -> (Value with parameter)

idslk

Alibre Super User
If you need a String value, you can write a AlibreScript which creates a custom parameter.
There you can put all you needed information and save it with the part.
Then you can use this parameter in your BOM

Regards
Stefan

idslk

Alibre Super User
Example:
- start a new part
- use named parameter (to "find" them easily...)

1696455239039.png

- create a Custom Property

1696455287913.png

- "initialize" it with a dummy value (here "empty", the dummy is needed to make the property accessable...)

- run the following AlibreScript:
Python:
enviroment = CurrentPart()
value_a = enviroment.GetParameter('length').Value
value_b = enviroment.GetParameter('width').Value
value_c = enviroment.GetParameter('depth').Value
value_bom = str(value_a) + 'mm x ' + str(value_b) + 'mm x ' + str(value_c) + 'mm'
enviroment.SetCustomProperty('Dimensions',value_bom)
value_bom = enviroment.GetCustomProperty('Dimensions')

- the custom ptoperty should now be automatically filled:

1696455468955.png

- create a new BOM

1696455512472.png

- add a new column_

1696455648845.png

1696455676732.png

see the result:

1696455698586.png

hope it helps...

Regards
Stefan

Lucasch

Just a word of caution to new users. That property is automatically filled by the script once but not dynamically updated to part changes. You must run the script again after you change the part.
Unfortunately, this script is useless because every part changes you must open single part and run the script.

idslk

Alibre Super User
@Lucasch,

a) can you please describe your workflow in detail. What is the overall target
b) do you want the filename made from dimensions or
c) a dimension information in the BOM
if c) with a little knowledge you can let run the skript through a complete assembly or folder to update all these informations...

Regards
Stefan

Lucasch

Thanks.
answer c) I want to create one model (series of types) and if I change dimensions on it, the dimensions in 2d drawing should automatically change.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks.
answer c) I want to create one model (series of types) and if I change dimensions on it, the dimensions in 2d drawing should automatically change.
There is no way to achieve your goal of having a dynamic, multi-input, single field in a BOM that requires no intervention when things change. I'm going to assume based on the context of this thread that "the dimensions in the 2D drawing should automatically change" really means "the Parameter type cell values in the BOM should update" and not "dimensions on the 2D drawing".

However, you can populate 3 columns with the 3 dimension values. Move the columns close together on the BOM, remove the vertical BOM lines, remove the headers, and it will look like what you want. Insert custom columns of text and just populate them with "x" between the values.

Please see the example ZIP file with the parts, assembly, BOM template setup, and drawing example.

1697523999503.png

Attachments

• Example Setup.zip
    91.3 KB · Views: 3